Breathtakingly petty

5 Likes

That’s pathetic!

5 Likes

I misread that as breathtakingly pretty and was expecting more Diagon Shambles pics :see_no_evil:

The actual story IS pretty poor though.
Volunteers for these kind of events don’t deserve that kind of middle finger.
They couldn’t make it work without them.
Volunteers are stars!!! :star_struck:

14 Likes

Petty AF.

6 Likes

What a crock.

4 Likes

I think the key is transparency. While giving a half-day ticket may still be a gift, if it’s a change from established custom, it’s common courtesy to let people know of the change in advance.

5 Likes

lol same. I was about to post “ya got me. Well done.”

Then I realized I’m just illiterate. :rofl:

Christmas christmas vacation chevy chase GIF - Find on GIFER

15 Likes

This but then they probably knew people would jump and the event would be at risk.

And also the cost to them is incredibly minimal for full day vs half day.

Unbelievable.

9 Likes

Word on the street is that this is the work of much-loved pretty-boy Josh D’Amaro.

1 Like

:thinking:

FTFY

11 Likes

I mean, presumably he does something. It can’t all have been Chapek. And I can’t believe Iger’s first order of business was to screw over volunteers.

5 Likes

I bet it was even lower level than that but related to budget cuts. Often the accounting for these things means the comp tickets are actually listed as a “cost” to Run Disney group even though it doesn’t actually cost the company much. This happens to me if I comp someone an entrance to our annual conference.

So by cutting the ticket to a half day, they make their revenue for the event look better.

Still petty AF and another example of why this company needs a culture shift in its treatment of its fan base. When that decision came through, what ever middle to upper mnager approved it, should have flagged it as not being aligned with company culture.

6 Likes

Yup… I’d be willing to bet the upper Disney management didn’t even know, and probably has no clue how many volunteers there even are.

I’ve always found the fact that runDisney is not actually a charity or non-profit, but they don’t pay a large part of their event staff to be really weird. We’re not talking about a small or medium sized business putting on the races, either, we’re talking about one of the largest corporations in the world… why do they even need volunteers?

10 Likes

Glad I wasn’t the only one. :joy:

4 Likes

Can someone explain how changing a full day ticket to a half day ticket improves Disney’s bottom line at all?

Wouldn’t that actually hurt it since the guest is no longer in the area to spend money on food and merch? I could see it if they took the ticket away all together, but changing the entry time seems to be pointless and …ahem…pretty. :smirk:

7 Likes

I don’t know for sure how it works at Disney, so this is just conjecture. Funny enough, it doesn’t actually hurt Disney’s bottom line, but it effects how the Run Disney books look.

In a different example, if Adventures by Disney has a room block at a resort, they pay that resort the comapny rate for those rooms and the payment count against ABD’s total profits and towards the resort’s total rprofit. Disney comes out even, but the profit numbers change for each entity.

I know the example is of a limited resource (rooms) but I bet something similar happens with tickets. Run Disney has to subtract the “company determined cost” of those tickets from its total profits. But cutting them to half a day, their total profits looks better.

My CFO just stopped a similar practice in my 85 person organization. If the graphic design people helped me with a project, they would bill their time to my project code. The problem was that I would budget for that cost, but marketing never budgeted for that “revenue” - so the organization ledgers were always off.

6 Likes

Your explanation makes sense (as dumb as it is), so I would bet the decision was made by whoever is responsible for the RunDisney budget.

4 Likes

So stupd. With such big implications for good will. Petty.

3 Likes

Still trying to wrap my head around this…

Makes sense on paper but no sense in real life. It did cost Run Disney something- a little respect, a little reputation, and little dignity…

4 Likes