Breathable, comfortable face mask suggestions

My favorite ones so far are homemade ones using the pattern from NY Times. I use 100% cotton (usually the fabric used for quilting). I do not like over the ears or elastic for long-time wear. These tie at the back of the head. The down side with the cotton is that once it is wet, it has to be changed because it is not as effective after a while. The upside of the quilting fabric is it is cool, it keeps its shape fairly well and you can get it with lots of fun prints (including Disney).
Here is the pattern:

1 Like

Did you order your bamboo ones from a certain place or did you make them yourself?

Made the bamboo ones ourselves. (And by that I mean my wife did!)

Disney Springs has the same requirements. I asked on the facebook liner page if they were actually enforcing it and someone said they weren’t. They really didn’t care as long as the face was covered.

Did she order the bamboo material from a particular site?

I ordered 100% bamboo pillow cases from Amazon. But I am not sure it was the best choice. The material was expensive this way, and the material overly softened, etc. But the bamboo was still cooler than the cotton. The lack of structure, however, was a pain to work with. Especially when trying to make it single layered.

I just ordered from this Etsy shop and I really like the mask. I don’t get it wet, but it’s a material that is breathable and comfortable to wear in the heat and it handles sweat very well. My kids really like these too.

The gauze masks on Etsy
are now available.

The Vera Bradley masks are in stock this morning.

We just got ours from Bolder (formerly SparkleSkirts!) and really like them. Much lighterweight and cooler than a few others we’ve gotten.

They aren’t cotton, they’re made from the same stuff as Sparkleskirts - stretchy spandex/athletic material, plus a filter layer, with a metal nose bridge.

https://bolderathleticwear.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/masks

2 Likes

This weekend I went to the fabric store looking for this precise thing. I ended up buying some fabric in the curtain sheer area. We already have immunity from having it before, so we’d neither get it or pass it. So, masks will be theater only and only when required.

For my parents, I made some effective ones with a filter pocket and some filters made from the highest rated furnace filters that are rated for viruses.

1 Like

Hmmmm… this link at CDC shows ties and ear loops… what are you referring to? https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-to-make-cloth-face-covering.html

I’m referring to the text in the link I posted.

Your link indicates no requirement for a face covering to have ties or loops.

Just ordered some to try. Thanks for the information.

My Vera Bradley order of face masks just arrived. They are cotton, but more breathable than some others I have tried. They do have a pocket for a filter. I got florals for me and plain black for DH and DS. They seem to come up high enough on my nose that my glasses can sit on the material and not fog up my glasses.
I am waiting for my order from Bolder Athletic.

2 Likes

Here’s what we use, it works well for the kids and they don’t complain that they are itchy or hot.

2 Likes

I highly recommend Boco gear masks. They are athletic masks and have a pocket for a filter. Very comfortable.

Well, I bought some from a local custom bathing suit boutique (in Canada) who makes her masks from Lycra (bathing suit material). They are double layered, very lightweight and really comfortable. Maybe look around locally from small businesses who have converted their businesses into mask making. Another local company I used are a compilation of seamstresses who found themselves out of work when COVID happened. They are double layered 100% cotton and I do find these to be a bit hard to breath through when it’s hot out…I think someone above mentioned Bolder Athletics that uses Spandex, which I think would have similar breathe-ability to Lycra? I like the idea of supporting local small business.

Well, they are #1 rated by USA Today! :wink:

So they have structure to them? That is what seems to be looking at the website.

Have these! Love them and so do my kids