BREAKING: Tarzan's Treehouse Being Rethemed, Possibly to 'Encanto' at

Ohh, good call.

Saturday I know it’ll be a zoo because of MSEP being back, but I hope to do that and maybe end the night at Oga’s. I’ll try at least! Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m doubling down on @Wahoohokie’s suggestion to try walk-ups. I am of the opinion that ever since re-opening, DL is holding out way more of the pool of general availability of dining to be able to offer more walk-up opportunities for guests that really want to come & ask for a seat vs. letting people scoop up availability and then cancel or no-showing (& potentially turning away walk-ups for a ressie that no-shows).

4 Likes

Ohh, that makes perfect sense!

So, I am about to get controversial, but…I feel that way right now about converting Splash into Tiana.

But here’s why. Until about 5 days ago, I had never seen The Princess and the Frog. With the eventual transformation at the parks, I decided to finally remedy that. And I truly feel Tiana is an awesome character! I love her backstory and setup. Such potential for a deep and meaningful story. Only…they decided to drop her into probably the worst Disney movie I have have seen since at least the Little Mermaid. What was Disney thinking? I could come up with a ton of better storylines than the one they chose for Tiana. Tiana deserves way better! The villain alone was a pathetic attempt at an Ursula but with no convincing motivation.

But…the movie has just the right elements to convert Splash Mountain, given all that happens in the Bayou. So…who cares that it was a stupid movie. Like really stupid. But let’s convert Splash over to it anyway! (Yeah, yeah…I get they wanted to have a ride that provides an African American representation in the parks…and I agree with that…just don’t agree the choice of such a poor movie in order to do it!)

1 Like

Wow, you have just dissed 2 of my favorite Disney movies in one paragraph. Did you hate the Lion King as well, that’s another favorite of mine. I cannot believe you didn’t like those movies!

7 Likes

I’m betting it goes back to Swiss Family Robinson because there will soon be a Disney+ series based on the franchise coming out.

3 Likes

Very interesting!

Plus DTD demolition. We had our first DLR trip planned for September of this year, but I’ve moved it to next year.

1 Like

Two? I only dissed one movie.

1 Like

Princess and the Frog and Little Mermaid. You said worst since LM. You are breaking my heart! :rofl:

7 Likes

Oh, no. I loved TLM. I merely was framing the time period in which is was judging TPatF…Disney has had some bad movies in the past…but since TLM, which is when I feel Disney kind of revitalized the animated film, TPatF was the worst.

I thought Voodoo Man was a very poor attempt to create another Ursula character. Meaning, Ursula was done well…and Voodoo man simply a bad imitation.

Throughout all of TPatF I felt I could practically hear the conversations of the writers justifying what they ended up with.

2 Likes

Okay, glad you didn’t hate LM.

3 Likes

And, for the record, I also loved The Lion King. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel like Dr. Facilier is one of the most real villains (and therefore most frightening) with the the voodoo magic so I actually quite love the aspect he brings to Princess & the Frog. Plus even though his exact reason for dealing with his “friends on the other side” isn’t spelled out, it’s clear that he got involved in a deal with them that he owes big time & there’s a very good lesson there about making deals with the devil & how that all turns out.

Plus I loved that Tiana’s story focused on her putting in a lot of work to get her dream, and not only wishing on a star (which she definitely does do, but also busts her a$$ working triple shifts as a waitress to make her dream come true). As someone who had just recently graduated college (and who through it worked as a waitress doing double shifts on the weekends to be able to pay to go to school with as little debt as possible), it really spoke to me.

So yea, basically TL:DR I’m with @Wahoohokie.

6 Likes

That’s what I mean, though, about Tiana being a great character…just plopped into a poorly written story. They established her backstory nicely.

3 Likes

See, I disagree here. I feel motivation matters, and the most interesting and compelling villains, for me, are the ones who have a story themselves that makes me almost care about them. Voodoo Man was little more than a means to an end.

I definitely have a different opinion as there’s not a good character in the story that I don’t absolutely find endearing (Mama Odie, Ray & his love story with Evangeline, even Charlotte) and enjoyed all of them thoroughly. Plus for one of the first times you see an ambiguous Prince who’s not all knight in shining armor to his princess and has to transform (in more ways than one). So I’m struggling to see where it’s poorly written.

I guess it all comes down to the difference in how we feel about Dr. Facilier. I felt he was very much so a realistic villain (and perhaps a little too realistic for some as I know many parents who didn’t/don’t allow their kids to watch it because of the voodoo & demonic nods), and to me (again as an adult) that was fascinating to see played out in a story. But I also will admit that his backstory really isn’t used to portray or further his villainy and I can see how that affects your opinion of him.

And I’m also relieved you do like both Little Mermaid & Lion King. I thought for a second you weren’t liking Little Mermaid either.

4 Likes

You mean, like…the Beast? It was another rehashed story line. And throughout, things were happening TO Tiana, but she wasn’t driving her own story. Even with her relationship with the prince, it was just the writers taking Tiana’s “all work and no play” mentality and just creating a literal opposites attract prince who is all play and no work. He had no depth himself, and no real reason to even be in New Orleans. He had no money…so, what? His parents decide to send him on a ship across the sea to get rid of him in a place where he happens to adore the music? Every moment felt overly contrived. Voodoo Man only existed because they needed a way to cause the frog transformation. Even then, he soight them out. In the case of TLM, Ariel ultimately sought out Ursula…she drove her own story throughout, but Ursula was shown as one who could take advantage of the situation to her benefit.

Then you have the wacky cast of characters in the Bayou itself. A trumpet playing alligator? How many times are we going to be shown the minor character who doesn’t fit in like that? I almost felt like it was Bruce the Shark reincarnated! And the goofball humans out to eat frog legs (which felt insultingly stereotypical).

The most tender moment of the entire movie was the death of the firefly to join Evangeline…which, again, felt like a manufactured moment.

Okay, but until Encanto, TPatF had the best soundtrack of all the animated films.

1 Like

I think too much dissecting the movies will ruin it for anyone. Sit back, enjoy the tall tale. Animals talk, Beasts change into humans. A young mermaid gets legs and Louis plays the Sax​:blush: I loved Princess and the Frog. The animation, the storyline, the characters and the soundtrack were amazing. Totally under appreciated IMO. And of course I danced with Dr Facilier :blush:

dance

And dressed as him for Oogie Boogie bash yesrs ago! :rofl::rofl::heart:

6 Likes