Boys in princess dresses?

I’m sorry but I can’t stand by anymore. I grew up when guys would dress up as ladies, cheer leaders, French maids, ect… for Halloween. Keep in mind that in the beginning of theater all roles were played by men. I would not want to put my child in a situation that would cause them any harm physical or emotional. But we are talking about a 5 year old, at that age they don’t think boy girl, they think mom dad but don’t know what makes the difference. If I was you I would remove the post to stop this debate, but like everyone else that is my opinion. I hope you and your grandson have a great time in Disney, what ever he decides.

6 Likes

Way too much thought and worry going into all this

It’s not even happened yet and kids change their minds on a daily basis what they want to do

There is a young boy that watches my kids soccer game on Sundays - a few months ago he was in to princesses and ballet. Now he’s in to skylanders and boxing

Who knows what this child will be wanting to do next week etc

When he gets to the parks he might see any kind of outfit (pirate, princess, etc) that another kid is wearing and want to copy them

I would very much wait and see

Personally I would be steering them to less girly stuff if I could as there’s no doubt you can influence kids a bit. But that’s just me!

1 Like

So when a little girl is interested in “boy” things - do you stop them and “teach them what it means” to be a girl? Do you have a recommended resource on this topic that we can all benefit from so we all are teaching gender by the same standards? Would these be your standards? Societies standards? I teach world history/religions and cultures, so I’m genuinely curious as which you believe is the correct one to follow.

3 Likes

Greetings fellow teacher. I would use American Christian culture as the standard. You can never go wrong with the classics.

2 Likes

And that’s when I back away slowly.

10 Likes

That is uncalled for - lets please be civil

1 Like

This was the thing that broke my heart the most when I worked at the Disney Store. Parents would flip out if their boys went in the castle but not bat an eye when the sister was in the Cars or Marvel section. You could see the boys just wilt at recognizing that their parents let their sister play with anything but they were limited.

(And FWIW, I thought “backing away slowly” was much more civil than what you were replying to. :slight_smile: )

10 Likes

I fully disagree with the FWIW comment. But this is not the forum for all that

Totally agree! Much more civil than I would have been had I said what I really thought in response to the previous post from that person.

8 Likes

I thought the comment about using “American Christian culture” (whatever that is) as the proper standard for teaching gender was an affront to those of us who live by the standards of a different religion, or no religion. I didn’t find it particularly “civil.”

8 Likes

And even those of us who are Christian but not fundamentalist.

7 Likes

They asked me a question, about what standard I use. I just answered the question. What is uncivil about that? Please read the entire thread before commenting about whether someone is civil, as it would be uncivil not to. Context is the key to all things.

The “I’ll back away now” comment that I made meant that I would not be participating in any more comments concerning this. I wasn’t being uncivilized. I actually feel that I was being civil in leaving the conversation before things did become uncivilized.

10 Likes

Interesting development: Lewis Hamilton apologises for 'boys don't wear dresses' remark - BBC News

I saw this earlier and immediately thought of this thread, but I thought perhaps best to leave it.

I just saw your post in chat, that you are there and he is dressed as Rapunzel. Huzzah and good on you! I am so happy he has you in his life :heart:

12 Likes

If it is what he wants to wear then I say let him wear it! Who cares what other people think!!!

1 Like