"Boring" TBA?

I think it is “woke” in that it comes from a place of cultural sensitivity and the way our entertainment impacts marginalized groups, but the term has become somewhat derogatory.

Wokeness is a new term but it’s not a new concept. We have always shamed away parts of our culture that we don’t think fit in the society we are working toward. The push and pull between wanting to hang on to traditions and moving forward is sometimes a painful process, and it’s something we have to work at together to decide whether change is necessary or beneficial. It’s important not to just throw everything old away, either.

In this specific case, I think the decision Disney made was for the best, though I could envision an alternate universe where they kept Splash Mountain and found other ways to contextualize it. But the decision is made so that’s why I’ve made peace with it.

4 Likes

I can see where you’re coming from (replace the racist thing with something representing the people who were the victims of the racism). But I disagree that it doesn’t make sense for her to be there. Granted, she fits better in New Orleans Square in Disneyland, but I think a bayou attraction works very well with what Splash Mountain was. And she is a great character and the New Orleans music will be awesome. I think it feels very natural. That’s all subjective, though.

2 Likes

I keep reading this thread as - “Boring” To Be Announced? - :woman_facepalming:

12 Likes

That’s not entirely wrong… :grin:

2 Likes

If what Mickey Views as reported in the past is true, Disney is actually planning to convert much of the existing Frontier land into New Orleans as well at MK. If they do, it will make much more sense to be there then.

But I still think how things played out, Disney decided to put Tiana there before they figured out HOW to make her fit there. This is also why I think the description of the “story” of the ride feels off…they had to shoe-horn her in somehow.

Hopefully the New Orleans re-imagining actually happens not long after TBA opens!

4 Likes

Something I wanted to mention earlier is that I do think the fit is great in Disneyland and just okay in Disney World. So I hope what you have heard @ryan1 is also true.

Interestingly, I also had far fewer problems with the Disneyland version of Splash. Aside from being tied to the song of the south, it did not have the same racist subtext as the WDW version. So I always found that interesting. Honestly, I think the Imagineers who brought that subtext to the WDW ride had no idea - it wasn’t purposeful. But it was there.

As to wokeness, I am mostly pushing back on a word that has been pretty highly weaponized. I think the reality of decisions, and being more representaive, are much more nuanced.

4 Likes

Agreed!

3 Likes

And while salt is a louisiana product, there are not salt mines near New Orleans. Is the ride suposed to take place in a different location?

:joy::joy::rofl:

A riverboat is kinda big for most bayous. A john boat, canoe or airboat ride through the bayou would be perfect though. Or even a ride where one becomes a frog (like Ratatouille). And all of the animals that could be used as animatronics!!! And the swamp scenery with fire flies and stars in the sky. I really can picture it. And when I heard they were remaking my beloved attractions, I had the swamp scenes specifically in mind. I thought it was a no brainer.

6 Likes

It should be Tabasco (sponsorship opportunity??). Anything but salt :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I would have liked to see a new ride where that food stand for chicken nuggets is, right past POC. And I would have liked Splash to keep a somewhat Frontierland facade.
But they didn’t ask me, lol. I was hoping Tiana would get a ride similar to MMRR and Ratatouille. Could have even done something similar to FoP or FJ at US.

2 Likes

Just to be clear (cause I’m realizing you may have misinterpreted my meaning, but also your response works if you understood what I meant, so no big deal) – I am saying they should have used the existing music from Princess and the Frog, not the existing music from Song of the South. They are writing new songs for Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, and I’m a little worried they won’t be as memorable as Randy Newman’s original songs.

6 Likes

So the only things similar to the movie
A) Tiana is a chef
B) The setting is in Louisiana

4 Likes

The one animatronic we got to see a preview of looks to be Louis… so there’s that.

4 Likes

Funny enough, when we rode Splash Mountain last time, we were looking at it through the lens of having just watched the movie, and could totally see how the existing infrastructure could easily lend itself to them basing the ride on the movie!

But then they announced that it won’t be based on the movie at all. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

This sounds like a swing and a miss.
Not to piggy back or resurrect the earlier discussion regarding racism but, well, this was a decided effort for Disney to show they wouldn’t tolerate racism (removing the old, racist ride) and replacing it with a symbol of diversity and inclusion. Ok, they may be doing that on the surface. But it’s half-assed IMO. It feels forced. It feels superficial.
Give me Tiana’s story. I understand she’s fictional. But now this ride represents more. And that is Disney’s doing. They better step up.

2 Likes

Right. That’s my feeling. Tiana is such a rich character herself that I just haven’t seen evidence they are doing her justice. I hope I am wrong.

4 Likes

I completely missed your point! Got it. Totally.

2 Likes

This is where I am hoping Charita will work her magic! :crossed_fingers:

Which is where I guess we go back to the OP. Hope Iger is wrong.

3 Likes

It’s either intentional sarcasm to lead up to a phenomenal product (less likely) or it’s not living up to the hype (more likely). Wasn’t there mention of budget cuts? When this is done mid project the finishes (what the consumer sees) usually pays for it.

3 Likes

Yeah. This project has received quite a lot of budget cuts.

2 Likes