BOG PPO on Marathon day (1/12)

Yes! This is the plan. Think it was one of the routes listed in the TP guidebook. I also looked at road closure maps for past marathons and this route seemed to avoid most of the issues.

I run all of the races weekends at Disney. I obviously see first hand and run on the closed roads. My advise is DO NOT try and get to MK for a PPO breakfast the morning of the full marathon. You will be stuck in traffic. It doesn’t matter how you try to get there, you are going to be significantly delayed. The marathon is starting at 5:00 am this year and the course is changing. Once RunDisney releases the course maps you should look at them and see which miles MK will be as it is expected to be a little later in the race this year. That will make a huge difference.

3 Likes

The TP guidebook? Maybe I should know where/what this is, but I’d appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/1628090960

This! I have the 2019 version and they have a list of “Sneak Routes” starting on page 489. I’m staying just East of the I-4 (about an 11 minute drive to the MK under normal circumstances) and I mapped this route on Google. It’s meant to take about 18 minutes under normal circumstances. I plan to leave an hour of time. I suspect the last two miles will take the bulk of that time.

I’m sure someone has posted this, but the route is changing this year, quite significantly I believe.

I have some experienced Disney “running friends” elsewhere, so I’ll ask them what they think and report back.

Continuing the discussion from BOG PPO on Marathon day (1/12):

I just heard about that in this thread actually. Though do we know if the order of the parks has changed? Or just the street routes? I thought I saw the route map online awhile back but maybe it was an old one…

The only information on the course change that’s been released so far is that you’ll run through more of Epcot, Run through Blizzard Beach, and spend less time on the main roads.

This can only be good news for us non-runners then!

Any idea when they will post the new routes and where should I look to find them? We have a PPO for BOG on the half marathon day (the 11th). Staying at a DS hotel. So not quite onsite. We were planning on taking Uber to Contemporary, but I’m worried about making it there. Would going to TTC be better as far as traffic goes?

They just released the course maps and for the marathon, Magic Kingdom isn’t until mile 10. So, much later in the race than years past. This will cause further traffic delays later into the morning.

1 Like

There are warnings on the Contemporary and Bay Lake web pages of road closures affecting guests on Marathon day; likely they will need to use the road that goes round the back of MK for access.

I wouldn’t bank on being able to get to the Contemporary by Uber easily that day.

Do you have the link to the course maps?

You can find them on RunDisney.com

Thanks!

Thanks for posting when you saw this. So it still looks like Winter Garden Vineland Rd to Vista Blvd to MK lots is still the driving way to go in the morning. If they (runners) start at 0500 (though not all runners will cross start line at the same moment causing a lag) and run the slowest allowed pace (16 min/mile) they’ll get to the TTC (mile 9) about 144 minutes later (at 0724 plus starting lag) One would hope that the majority of runners will be well past MK by that point. Map Link

There are numerous corrals, I believe A-L for the marathon. They use staggered starts with mini waves within the corrals. The last runners probably will not even start until close to 6:30 am.

Help! I’m looking at the linked map but dont see what the various road colors mean to drivers. On Sat Jan 11, day of HALF Marathon, we have to drive from Swan for 8am PPO at BOG in MK. Can someone explain the map, and/or tell me best way to get from Swan to MK by car on Jan 11, to be inside park by 8am on Half Marathon day?

Run Disney page where map can be accessed: Run Disney

Good Road Closure map from the Run Disney page: Road Closure map

Discussion on route from DIS forum:
DIS Forum

Just to finish this out for anyone searching for information on this in the future. My original plan had been to be on my way to MK for our BOG PPO in a Minnie Van by 7 am…but this did not work. I started trying to get a Minnie Van around 6:50 am as we were walking toward the bus stop, but none were available. I kept trying as we waited at the CBR Aruba bus stop until around 7:10 when an MK bound bus showed up. I cancelled the Minnie Van request (which was still searching for available drivers) and we got on a nearly empty bus (save two other families with PPO ADRs). The traffic was fine and only got a little backed up around MK. The bus ride took about 25 minutes and then we were dropped off in an MK parking lot area that was a short walk alongside the marathon route (~5 minutes) to get to the TTC. Then through security and got on the next monorail to MK. All in all we were back to BOG by about 8:05 and had already pre-ordered while we were on the bus (must be done through the website as not available on MDE app). We were done with breakfast and out to line up for SDMT by 8:50 and got in one ride before the rope drop crowd and then went to PPF for a ride without any wait.

2 Likes