Best, off-site hotels

Pre-pandemic, I’ve never had a bad room at the Courtyard on Harbor. If we aren’t at at Grand Californian, we’re there, or we don’t go at all.

That being said, I’m a snob and want to be by the entrance. There are perfectly good options by the convention center which is just a 5-10 minute extra walk depending.

@terp05 it depends on when you get in as well. I really don’t like LAX at all (having grown up down there, I avoided LA whenever I could), but the one time I flew in with the boys, we landed at night and had no problem using that service @Amy11Russ mentioned and we were at Grand Californian in something like 15-20 minutes. It was…amazing. I was completely floored and pleasantly surprised.

4 Likes

This is true - traffic late at night is a breeze, even in non-Covid times. What can take 2 hours in rush hour is more like 30 minutes after 10pm.

2 Likes

Sorry @Bubblez, it totally skipped my mind that you lived in/around LA. Thanks for chiming in.

Glad to hear all the love for the Courtyard, as that’s where I currently have reserved. I’d love to stay at the Grand Californian, but I could book 2 suites at the courtyard for the cost of one standard room there :joy:

The flight I’m looking at arrives at 9:00 pm on a Wed, so I’m hoping that works in my favor for traffic.

3 Likes

If you have time check out Anaheim Park Tourist on YT… They’ve got videos of about 20 of the hotels on Harbor

5 Likes

9:00pm on Wednesday should be fine. I assume you’re bringing your kids, which is all the more reason to use a car service from LAX. Walking to the Uber pickup with kids and luggage is kind of tricky.

2 Likes

Nope, this is my solo trip! Going to a convention next door. Every time I try to bring the kids to see DLR, it doesn’t work out. June 2020 was cancelled and in Spring 2021 when we were just south in Laguna, it was only open to in-state guests. I will bring them some day!

4 Likes

I would like to chime in and add any of the hotels right across the entrance along Harbor probably will not qualify as the are all worn. Grand Legacy’s new tower would qualify but the back of it probably not. I’ve heard very good things about the new Hyatt down the street across from the 7-11. Agree with Karen that none of the hotels have started housekeeping. Tropicana, Grand Legacy and Desert Inn haven’t either but will come in on request. Anything extra needed we had to go to front desk and request. Since the free ART shuttle hasn’t been running we take Lyft from the ARTIC station.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your great input and recommendations, I’m going to check out those videos…

Good to know no housekeeping. I’ve had to travel quite a bit for my work during the pandemic and we had housekeeping so I was surprised to hear.

2 Likes

Grand Legacy wasn’t on my radar but looks like the front tower is popular for my dates…everyone must know to snag those. For next time. The courtyard is a bit pricey for what I’d like to pay in Anaheim. I’ll keep checking thd other ipuins

1 Like

We’ve stayed at the Courtyard and did BlizzCon at the convention center the last 2 out of 3 years.

It’s an easy walk and the park entrance is conveniently located in the middle for ease of access on the way back from the convention center!

2 Likes

BlizzCon is a lot more exciting than the conference I’m going for :joy: Do you work in the gaming industry? I used to play a lot of Warcraft back in the day (before kids!)

1 Like

Yes, we’re in gaming…but the other kind. Data analytic software.

I still play WoW, though the shiny is finally starting to wear thin I think, only took a decade of playing to get tired of it.

DS then10 and other DS then18 are the only gamers in house to win a city wide 3v3 Hearthstone tournament. Then they both got bored and one found a girlfriend and the other one found Fortnite and we haven’t seen either kid since (half kidding).

We did develop a gaming education software pre pandemic where we open sourced the games, but education is such a hard business to make a living at unless you know someone who can get past the red tape. Until we can focus some more time and energy into it, the other type of gaming gets to pay the bills.

2 Likes

And, now you got me dreaming of staying there. I checked and the availability calendar ends at Dec 2021. Any idea when they open the calendar up for new dates? I tried searching the internet without much help.

1 Like

@Bubblez you are too cool! I am so impressed.

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for months for 2022 info! It’s like time just stops after Dec 31, 2021! My trip is under 499 now and I’ve been wanting to book my “room only” reservation for so long!

2 Likes

That is amazing!

Gaming education software sounds pretty awesome. I know my DS6 would be much more into school if the curriculum could be more engaging.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching for it the past few months as well for an April trip (also for another convention, this time for work).

I think it’s just taking a more conservative “wait and see” approach to the extended opening. Frustrating, for sure. Until then, I have back up reservations already in place at my #2 spot!

4 Likes

That was the entire reason we built it. As gamers ourselves, we were lamenting how kids today get lost in the shuffle. The top and bottom of the class are often neglected for the class as a whole.

Our son tested off the charts for spatial reasoning, but was almost held back because he literally could not “color in the lines”. A child who was already multiplying before he even started kindergarten held back because he couldn’t color correctly. When we asked for advanced work to keep him interested, they just ended up giving him more of the SAME problems! He felt he was being punished instead of challenged!

So DH taught himself to code and built a truly personalized learning engine which will gauge how a student performs in a day and adjusts according. If a child is doing great in math, but struggling in language arts, the software adjusts to slightly easier LA questions so the child doesn’t feel defeated and brings them up to speed, while still giving math problems at the peak performance level. The kids are also answering these questions in between gameplay. Instead of pay to play, it’s earn to play! There’s also the ability to toggle off games for kids who are easily distracted.

The UI is super rough, but it’s the engine that really shines. It’s still our passion project. When we have more time and money to make it prettier, we will. We’ve still got some great ideas for where it can be used if we can’t break the existing red tape.

4 Likes

:blush:

Aw…thanks! You’re very sweet. We saw a lot of kids in our own bubble get left behind or punished for having different learning requirements. We knew someone who was kicked out of 2 schools before the teacher found out that busy work kept them focused. Straightening out the toy bins or handing out papers. That kid went from always in trouble to being a top performer in that class. These are great kids, who just need someone to teach to their individual learning curves. It broke our hearts (and often times distracted our own kid!) What we do for our kids, right? :yellow_heart:

3 Likes

You’re speaking directly to the heart of this mama with one (and very likely 2) ADHDers.
This is fantastic! Bravo to you.

4 Likes