Best Motion Sickness Advice

Benedryl does both to me. At the same time. I will become very drowsy, but at the same time I end up with very jumpy legs, etc. So despite feeling an overwhelming need to sleep, I’m unable to sleep because of the jumpiness. To counter this, then, I find taking acetaminophen helps. Of course, too much of that has it’s own health implications! :slight_smile:

Have any of you taken prescription motion sickness medicine? Do you find that it has the same symptoms of otc ones?

I use the ReliefBand that you mentioned above. To be clear, this is NOT the acupressure bands. Those did nothing for me. This is a device that sends electrical impulses down your arm. It works very well for me. I much prefer it to Dramamine, which makes me sleepy. All of the “natural” remedies do nothing for me. I find that I can pretty much ride anything with the ReliefBand. (I don’t attempt the big coasters… but I can do Forbidden Journey with the band.) It does feel odd… you can feel the electricity going through your hand. I also find the conductor gel that must use with it a little irritating. BUT… it does let me ride things with my family. It is a little pricey, but I have used it for MULTIPLE trips. You can replace the battery when it dies, so it should last a really long time. It really is the only thing that works for me.

1 Like

Good to know somebody has used it! Does the strange shock feeling go away as soon as it happens, or do you feel it (for example in your fingers)after you get zapped? This may be a silly question: Can you go on water rides with it, or will you get electrocuted? Also, what number do you usually have it on for Universal rides? I ask because normally, Disney rides don’t get me as sick as Universal ones.

I just got back from a Disney cruise & visit to WDW. Previously I used Relief band with much success (I still got a bit nauseous on the really big coasters/simulator rides using it). This trip, I took Bonine each night starting the night before we flew to Orlando since I was hoping to not have to use the reliefband all the time on the cruise. I used the reliefbamd on the airplane & the intense rides (flights of passage, rock n roller) and it was amazing!! There was zero motion sickness and I didn’t feel tired/woozy like when I took Dramamine. I didn’t need the relief band on rides like big thunder. It was like riding when I was a kid. I never used the band on the cruise & was fine even in a bit of rough seas the first night.

I have worn it on water rides with no problem but try to protect it if there is a chance of getting soaked. The tingling isn’t that intense and you get used to it - the worst side effect is I tend to get a rash on my wrist after using it a few days in a row.

I find the simulator rides at Universal the worst for my motion sickness. I crank it up to 5 for those and 4 or 5 for Hulk & Rip it rocket. I did do Flights of passage this trip with the Bonine/REliefband combo and it was much better.

So, do you leave it on 4 or 5 all day, or just when you go on the simulator rides/Hulk, then turn it back down or off?

You just turn it on while on the ride then turn it off once ride is done. So it’s on for a very short period of time.

The best way I can describe is that you feel an intermittent pulsing down your hand while it is on. It doesn’t hurt… it is just quite noticeable. It goes away immediately when you turn it off. I only turn it on when I am on the ride… usually about 3, but if the ride is really intense, I will turn it up to 4 or 5. Simulator rides also make me sick, so I usually go for 4 or 5 on those. Forbidden Journey is a 5 for me. Mummy or Men in Black (it spins!) are a 3. I believe it is water resistant… it has a rubber piece that protects the battery, but I usually try to protect it. I would not fully immerse it in water. You will not be electrocuted wearing it. I usually leave it on all day but just turn it on when I need it. I also get a small rash when I use it for several days in a row, but it isn’t too bad… just a little itchy. I cannot ride most rides without it, but can ride most anything with it. (I am just too chicken for the big coasters so I can’t speak to those.) I do not go to any theme park without it!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, guys! I think I may give it a try the next time I go.

I ended up trying Kids Dramamine and the sea bands, and didn’t get sick or drowsy at all! (Well, except on Forbidden Journey, but that’s a lost cause, lol)

2 Likes

Forbidden Journey is my inner ear’s worst nightmare. I swear I was actually green when I got off it. :nauseated_face:

But glad to hear the kiddie Dramamine worked!

The very first time I got very, very nauseous (it was the first week of opening, and I think they were working out the kinks). Since then, I would feel it a little, but still be okay. This trip, I felt the same way as you, I felt green. If I was on that ride for any longer…I’m sure the rest of the day would be bad for me lol.

My kids and I use Motion Eaze. It’s an oil that you put behind both ears. They gave it two thumbs up. I usually avoid the intense rides but when I did use it (Dinosaur at AK. Pitiful, I know! Lol!), I got off the ride without feeling like I needed to sip a coke and sit on a bench for an hour.