Best and Worst

My biggest disappointment was San Angel Inn. I always thought the atmosphere was so pretty, but once I finally ate there, the food was just meh.

Our biggest like with lowest expectations (since reviews can be hit or miss) last trip was 50s.

3 Likes

Expectations and convenience are a big factor for me. I thought H&V was great because my expectations were so low, while I was disappointed in 1900PF as I had expected more. If it’s been a trek to reach Saana, Boma, artist point etc then the experience needs to be better than somewhere I could have gone within walking distance. Others things like how long I had to wait for a table make a difference and where we headed afterward. I loved Sci Fi but it wasn’t an enjoyable meal because we had a long wait to be seated and then needed to rush to make Fantasmic. Ohana was our most enjoyable meal last time, but we were staying at the Poly, and while there was a wait, there’s a bar next door, the seats were comfy, and DD5 slept through almost the whole meal, which made it very relaxing for DH and I, we had a gorgeous view and the food was delicious. We aren’t staying at the Poly next time, so Ohana isn’t on our list.

1 Like

Biggest disappointment was Whispering Canyon. Should mention that was 4 yrs ago, maybe better now.

Both Ddil and I asked chef (came to table) if could make vegetarian entree for us, he said happy to. It was inedible unfortunately. Literally. We probably should have said something, but all the CMs were so nice & the kiddos had such fun, we let it pass. Ds’s steak was worse then meh also, though.

Biggest positive surprise for quality & setting was Satuli. The food was similar to TS quality really, and it was a really cute place.

2 Likes

This was in January 2015
Best: Rose and Crown Pub - Corned beef and mushy peas (substituted for the cabbage).
Liberty Tree Tavern - fork tender Pot Roast
Worst: Tusker House - LONG wait time, the food was unispiring and the tables were so packed together there was hardly room for the characters to move around

I checked the historical crowd calendar and even though most of our park days were a 2, we had waits of 30 mins to an hour for ADR at all parks except EP and we hadn’t budgeted for tips with the deluxe plan. For our upcoming trip we only have 2 ADR, one of which is QS at BOG and are doing the QS plan.

1 Like

That is so funny @twophish. Just a minute ago I was singing the praises of Tusker, on Chat. We had the best character meets there so far over the years. And the dinner food was really yummy. With enough variety to please the veggies, the pickies and the meat eaters.

We were seated right away, great service, not crowded at all. I’m wondering if the CL level made a difference. We were there last month, CL levels pretty low.

2 Likes

From October 2018:
Best Breakfast: Boma, wide variety of very tasty food, relaxing atmosphere, charming service.
Best Lunch: Yak & Yeti, Korean BBQ Ribs and Indian chicken dish absolutely delicious.
Best Dinner: Brown Derby, filet was perfect, love the ambiance of the room, elegant professional service

Worst Lunch: 50s Primetime Cafe, food presentation was beautiful but TASTE was just awful, loud crowded and slow.
Worst Dinner: Liberty Tree Tavern, food tasted fine, but what a disorganized chaos of grumpy service, and horribly slow
Worst Dinner: Teppan Edo, deafeningly loud, food was not good, staff was trying but very poorly trained.

2 Likes

Interesting observations - with the exception of Via Napoli this is the exact opposite of our thoughts. Just goes to show that we should all try things for ourselves - one persons ‘great’ is another persons ‘meh’.

2 Likes

Very interesting topic! Our disappointments were Mama Melrose and Via Napoli (which I know are so many people’s standouts, so it just goes to show you shouldn’t skip something based on everyone else’s opinion - except Tony’s…you should definitely skip Tony’s…)

For a surprise, I’m going to have to go with Garden Grill lunch. DH and I were just talking about it last night. We went 2 years ago to give DS a character dining experience and were very surprised at just how much we enjoyed the meal.

2 Likes

Biggest disappointment - Tony’s town square by a large margin. Awful food and service.

Biggest Surprise - CRT. Did not know what to expect going in but turned into a memorable evening with my angels I won’t soon forget.

1 Like

Without question the restaurant we will not go back to is Tiffins. It was horribly overpriced for very mediocre or poor food. We love the lounge though and stop there multiple times per trip.

Our favorites are Skippers Canteen, Boma, Paddlefish, Boathouse and Morimoto.

1 Like

Hahaha as a fellow mom of a preschooler I have to laugh that your most enjoyable meal was one your DD slept through. Solidarity. :wink:

1 Like

Best by FAR was Cali Grille Brunch and although some really like Biergarten, last trip it was not really good (foodwise) in my opinion

2 Likes

Spice Road Table was definitely our biggest surprise this past trip. We were trying to stay keto/low carb and they had so many interesting choices. Our server was terrific and knowledgeable. The view of Illuminations from our large tableside window was perfect.

3 Likes

Via Napoli and Whispering Canyon (that’s the one with the ketchup “antics,” right?). VN was noisy and the pizza had an odd crust (and barely any sauce or cheese). WC was just “meh” and I think I might have been too tired to enjoy a heavy meal. For QS Yak and Yeti wasn’t good. Their honey chicken was cloyingly sweet - even more than you would expect considering it has “honey” in its name.

The Yak and Yeti table service, on the other hand, was great. I ordered the ahi tuna nachos without the wonton chips and it was awesome. Sci Fi was really good, too. Loved the tofu lettuce wraps and specialty shake (pumpkin pie).

In my experience the thing that makes or breaks a restaurant meal is the accuracy of the description on the menu (& answers to questions you ask your server). If you can get good at ordering then you will probably have a better experience no matter where you go.

1 Like

Totally agree re Spice Road Table - I lived in Algeria for a year when I was younger so didn’t have very high expectations, but I was definitely pleasantly surprised! We’ve been a few times, and it’s always been excellent. Same goes for Marrakesh, much better than I thought it would be, especially the merguez (with extra harissa).

2 Likes

My fave surprises from the past couple of trips were:
CRT–I went in thinking it would be meh, and I really enjoyed it We are doing it again despite the princesses.
CG–it wasn’t a surprise but we had unbelievably great service , great food, and of course a great view. Also doing again.
Boma breakfast–definitely a surprise b/c I’m not a breakfast girl
Satuli–thought how could park QS actually be as good as the reviews and it delivered!
Tutto Gusto the wine bar–popped in during a rain storm for a drink/snack and had fabulous antipasto plates with lots of variety and enough food for a meal

The worst were:
BOG dinner
HBD wasn’t bad but I expected a wow factor and it was just another meal with crying kids and slow service
Crystal Palace-we were seated almost an hour after our ADR and food was meh although I do love me some Eeyore
TRex went for DS 6 at the time as he loves dinos, I didn’t expect much been to RFC before but it was unbearably loud and overwhelming n the ice cave and the waiter tried to kill me by saying something wasn’t in a dish and then serving it to me on my plate

2 Likes