Before or After: The Great Debate

We have done the dessert party many times for both HEA and Wishes before that, most recent was Easter Sunday of this year which was sold out. The viewing area has never been crowded, kids dance and lay on the grass…much different than the people pressed against each other outside the gates. It took me a few times to find the best viewing, which is as close to the center of the Hub and against the back fence. Here was our view this year, you can see how empty it was. @Randall1028’s pictures were not our experience at all. I am interested in the After party for the next trip.

3 Likes

I wonder how many people research their WDW holidays as obsessively as we do. I assume everyone does, but clearly not because — in this case, for example — everyone goes to the front, even though we all know the back is better.

2 Likes

Yes, we are lucky in that our obsessive planning gives us quite a leg up on the casual WDW visitor. The first time we went we stood closer to the front, then tried the middle (and my son actually laid on the ground and watched and could see just fine). Now I know the back is the superior view, and also means barely anyone is around you.

2 Likes

Great to know! Will make a note of that.

1 Like

Did you feel like you had to rush out to viewing area on Easter Sunday? Right now HEA is scheduled for 10pm on the night we have the party booked. My thought, without any research mind you, was to check in to eat dessert at 9, spend about 30 minutes eating, and then head to the viewing area. Is this unrealistic?

We went to party fairly early actually, as we had done everything we wanted that day and my kids wanted to rest their feet. We were probably the 3rd family there, which was great because we got our food before very many people were there, and had plenty of time to relax. We went down to the garden area about 40 minutes before I think, the people already there were at the front so the back area was open. No trouble getting our great spot. The later you come, the less likely you are to get the best viewing, but I don’t really know what time would be too late since we go at least 40 minutes before. Sorry, maybe someone else who has gone later can help.

2 Likes

I see Disney Food Blog mentioning the new menu options at the After party, but I can’t find anything for sure saying they are at the before party. Can you direct me?

No, the link was posted on chat and I read it but didn’t post on the thread so no way to find it again, sorry.

OK, I’ll keep looking. Thanks! I’m hoping that’s true. The savory items sound good and you are right, that ooey gooey toffee cake looks amazing!

It’s heavenly!

Oh I did find this on chat -

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for looking that up!

You’re welcome, here’s another confirming the toffee cake was available - because that’s important!!

2 Likes

I have not done a party and am considering doing one in September. Especially as HEA does not happen every night because of MNSSHP.

Is the walkway between the party and the garden viewing kept open for the party goers. I am concerned about getting from the viewing area to the party for the after party. That is semi organized chaos trying to exit aftetwards

My guess is it’s not.

As I remember it, it’s something of a scrum to get from the party to the garden area when attending the before party. I read reports of random people being let into the garden area because the cast member wasn’t checking eligibility.

So I suspect it will be just as bad for the after party. Additionally, all the after party guests will be arriving at the food area at the same time, unlike the before party.

It’s going to be require decent organisation. My hopes aren’t all that high.

so true and so sad.

I will look forward to your report of this event. As I said I am thinking of doing this one as I want to see HEA. But i have little desire to be a part of the hub crowd.

I am l looking forward to reports on the after-party. I just called to book one for Oct. and the woman I talked to told me there would be food available at 8 pm when I arrived, in the garden area itself, and then after the show at the terrace. I asked her several times about this, but she insisted it was going to be that way, even while admitting it didn’t make much sense.

My daughter is just under 40" and way too heavy for me to hold her, so I want to make sure she gets a good view. If we go to the back of the viewing area, can she see the show sitting down or maybe standing on the seat of her stroller? I’ve seen some pictures with topiaries surrounded by fences, I’m also thinking about having her stand on the little fence of a topiary with me behind her supporting her/ holding her since it would be a little precarious, but then I wouldn’t have to carry her full weight. (I’d rather be in the back, though, if that would allow her to see, as it would be more safe). She is the reason I was planning to do the party.

I was worried when I went also because the party was so crowded, but the people at the party are both the plaza and the terrace, so people that paid for the seating to watch are also having desert & not all going to the plaza.
That being said we had a lot of room, but we also went in January :slight_smile:

1 Like

I switched my party to the After Party. The website isn’t clear, where do I check in for this event? I am planning to skip the before party and just do fireworks+TT afterwards as I am doing Disney After Hours on the 28th.

The credit card number, even though cancelled and cannot be used, will still be associated with the account, so they should still be able to process the refund.