Before going to WDW, I wish I would have

I don’t have any experience with Disney World, but when the kids were little we used to go to 6 Flags/Elitch Garden Amusement Park in Denver. We almost always got a locker, particularly if going to the water park for some of the day. It was so worth the $5.00 or whatever.

I get it —- perfect. C

My husband also swears by the cargo shorts. Like a magician pulling out a sofa out of a top hat it seems like sometimes. He can fit sun screen, his wallet, various small bags of souvenirs and an entire liter of soda.

3 Likes

This is where I have to disagree. I hate cargo shorts - and the general trend towards men’s short going below the knee and with a bunch of pockets. Soon we will be wearing some sort of mancapri. I like my shorts as short, cool and light as possible. I hate a bunch of stuff in my pockets rattling around and banging all day off my body. I know people joke about them a lot, but a small fanny pack is about the best option for lightweight hands free carrying a bunch of crap around. It serves me very well on day hikes, and what is WDW if not an all day adventure away from home.

1 Like

We have the park hopper also for December. I think this is the first year AFS didn’t offer a base ticket. You can have any kind of ticket you want as long as it’s park hopper or park hopper plus. But I’m not complaining, at least we still have AFS.

Btw, cargo pants are awesome. No sunburn or visiting the bag guys to have them go thru your stuff. Altho now apparently we’re better off with ziploc bags here as well.

Dadgum it, my itty bitty pocket-size water bottle no longer works - aren’t all the drinking fountains unavailable?

2 Likes

I was resistant to the fanny pack for so long because I’m a child of the 80s but when I took my daughter solo to the World a couple years ago, it was a life saver. Plus now you can get awesome Disney ones:

3 Likes

I wish I knew to take moleskin and at the first sign of a “hot spot” (Blister), could have put it on!

4 Likes

My footcare kit comes with me to the parks every single day

2 Likes

Cargo shorts don’t have to be like that. I have a few pair that the pockets are very unobtrusive. I actually don’t like the kind with the massive pockets.

This photo shows one of the pair I wore during our trip:

However, you’ll also notice that I had a backpack. That’s because Disney, unlike other amusement parks and theme parks, really make carrying a backpack around no big deal. There’s pretty much nothing you can’t take the backpack on. So, I find the need for cargo shorts less important at Disney.

Universal is another story. We did not want to deal with bags at Universal if at all possible, so I was utilizing my cargo shorts. But even then, I try to keep what goes into my pockets as slim and minimal as necessary.

I am fine with using a waist/fanny pack as well. But if I can get by with cargo shorts instead, I will. Waist packs can sometimes interfere with ride restraints. Of course, at amusement parks, such rides (typically coasters) usually have bins to store such things in during the ride at the station itself.

3 Likes

True, @sanstitre_has_left_the_building is brilliant. My statement was to show that I was not, no matter how much I was trying to be. I just can’t measure up to him.

2 Likes

It’s not cynicism. It’s rage.

4 Likes

I appreciate all the great advice in this thread - very helpful. Tomorrow about this time we will arrive in Orlando! It will be a great week. C

7 Likes

On a different WDW site, he talks about UBER from your hotel to the Contemporary, and then walking to the MK. Have you done this? Is it good advice?

Also, when you say $10 - is that from a Disney Resort on property? We are just off, near Disney Springs. Thx

I had a Lyft driver say it best, “sometimes the guards at the Contemporary gate won’t lyft of uber in. It is annoying”.

It is a gamble.

These days you would definitely need a dining reservation.

3 Likes

I’ve heard this from both Lyft and Uber. It depends on the mood of the gate keeper, but they were holding tight to “You can’t Uber/Lyft/Taxi in unless you have a dining reservation.” Their thoughts being, you can just get dropped off at Ticket and Transportation and take the Monorail in.

I say this because I Uber in there all the time, but I always have to confirm my room reservation.

1 Like

I have not done this but it would be the closest way an Uber could get to MK. Only WDW busses are allowed to the gates of MK so an Uber would usually drop you at the ticket and transfer center then you would monorail. Getting dropped at Contemporary and walking is a great choice pre Covid. I’m not sure now if they let you into Contemporary without having a dining reservation.

When I say “10 bucks” I’m using an estimate. It matters where you are going, how far the trip is, and what time of day. At peak hours a trip costs more. With that being said I think our most expensive was around $13 from GF back to CBR. Most we’ve taken (from CBR to parks or years past PO to parks or DS) have been roughly $8-12. We are fam of 4 so didn’t usually need XL until Covid hit and now they don’t allow passengers in the front so we had to get a larger car.

Also, I use “Uber” as a verb but honestly I most ALWAYS use Lyft. A few reasons: sometimes their rates our slightly cheaper (sometimes not). Their map capability allows me to set a pickup pinpoint right in front of my building (not have to walk to main building like Uber makes you). And finally bc Lyft links to my AmEx and I get double points :grin:

3 Likes

Before Covid I often took Uber/Lyft to CR. Only once did I have an issue and I said I was going to Top of the World.

Today, I would not go there without a reservation.

3 Likes

All of this.

3 Likes

I have been able to do this with both.

2 Likes

You know, I figured there had to be a way to do it with the Uber app but I guess I never fiddled with it long enough to figure it out. Lyft just could see my location, let’s say building 52 at CBR and automatically set the pickup location between buildings 51-53. I was in love with that feature…and my double AmEx points :rofl:

2 Likes