Be Our Guest price raised

Because that would be step backwards for most wait staff. :slight_smile: Not leadership at all, except in additional corporate greed! As I said, restaurants tried to do that very thing. The experiment ended up hurting more than helping.

The real issue actually isn’t with tipping. It is with how to properly compensate folks OUTSIDE of roles that involve tipping. What kinds of jobs deserve higher wages? And to what end? Higher wages lead to less hiring. Less hiring leads to more people “fighting” for jobs, which actually floods the market with workers, making wage increases unnecessary.

I’ll take my local McDonald’s as an example. Just two years ago, this one location was my favorite. All the staff was super friendly. They knew me and actually would have my order entered ready for me the pay before I stepped up to the register. But then, due to rising wages at a place where profit margins are fairly slim, they stopped having as many people work. Lines got longer, service was worse, and they eventually put in ordering kiosks so that they don’t have to pay people to work the registers. So, yeah…those working there are making a little more money, but overall service is less and there are significantly fewer employees. The ones that were there that I liked have since left since the working environment became so much more stressful.

So you’re against corporate greed, but in favour of wait staff greed :smile:

Of course I’ll be tipping next year, but I reserve the right to moan about it. As I say, I see no correlation between tipping and good service. If anything, tipped employees often strike me as fake and entitled. My “bad” experiences at Disney were tipped wait staff and bell hops. My good were guest relations and front desk.

1 Like

Absolutely! (Well, sort of. I mean, greed is never a good thing…I just wouldn’t necessarily call it greed for the wait staff to earn more money.)

On the other hand, it is the natural desire for greed that is the driving force behind capitalism…so I can’t fault it entirely!

1 Like

Greed is good. Except when it results in a massive financial crisis that causes misery to millions for a decade.

I guess if we really drilled down to it, for me it boils down to simple, predictable pricing.

That’s why many people (I suspect) like the DDP. You know where you stand with your spending. And you can relax during your vacation, rather than worrying about how expensive the filet mignon is, and whether you should just have the chicken. Again.

For the same reason, I hate the fact that sales tax is not included in the sticker price. And scams like convenience fees, resort fees, service fees and the like. Wrap it up into one headline price.

5 Likes

That’s the issue I am having right now, the price increases haven’t been widely available but people who booked months ago without dining get a surprise when they show up to eat and find out an additional $5 per person. Technically $6.23 if you include taxes and standard 18% gratuity. Even at a family of 3 adults that’s an additional $18.69 that hadn’t been planned on for a single meal. As to other fixed price meals that don’t show the actual cost it’s hard telling what they went to until someone does the legwork at the parks.
I did notice Akershaus now shows as $$$$(over $60) only now on the website and dropped the previous “$$$(35-59.99) $$$$(over $60)” under cost which make me assume this raised prices there as well.

2 Likes

That’s one thing I appreciate about Undercover Tourist. The price you see is the price you pay!

4 Likes

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. UK peeps not only get free parking and free Memory Maker, but all our tickets are park hoppers. And cost the same, independent of date of arrival.

:grin:

2 Likes

Pluses and minuses. I mean, after all, we can get a family of 7 to and from Walt Disney World for $300. So adding in another $300 for parking/Memory Maker still has us ahead! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:wink:

1 Like

How? Do you all walk there?

2 Likes

We drive. On the RIGHT side of the road, no less! :wink:

2 Likes

That won’t really get a rise out of me, I’m afraid :smile:

I’m not particularly invested in which side of the road we drive on. It would be better if all countries drove on the same side. As I said, my poor little brain couldn’t handle the switch when I tried driving in the US.

There is one plus side to different countries having different systems. This very cool bridge:

https://www.fastcompany.com/1660258/ingenious-flipper-bridge-melds-left-side-drivers-right-side-drivers

1 Like

That’s okay. Wasn’t really trying to. Just being…childish. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know! That’s why I like you, even though you’re wrong about everything.

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

It’s hard being me.

1 Like

Actually, you’re right about one thing: UOR is awesome.

2 Likes

Opinion -
If you’re going to BOG only for breakfast food alone, you’re a lil wacky.
It’s a fastpa$$, and Walt knows it.

3 Likes

Or a chance to enjoy the scenery in the park completely (or nearly) alone. :slight_smile:

But yeah, as a breakfast-food option, it’s lacking.

I do really enjoy my breakfasts there though. The theming is still top notch.

9 Likes

BoG breakfast is a low cost alternative to EMM. We managed to get 4 rides on 7DMT with no waiting last trip.

1 Like

While I am not going to get into the whole tipping debate, that’s where I am now. It looks like table service prices are all climbing. I hope I padded the costs enough to break even. It’s hard to tell, though, what we will eat at various places because appetites change based on so many factors. Also, DH has to order special meals made especially for him, so I can’t price those at all. DH is all for paying what we were planning on to begin with since we are so close to our trip. Sigh.

2 Likes

Yes, i need to finalize all my stuff for my trip in 3 weeks. The pricing increases are putting a bad taste in my mouth!

2 Likes