Aulani & O'ahu Nov 24-Dec 2 - First time in Hawaii, and leaving the kids at home!

They say they’ll limit it to 2 hours. We really are not in a place to buy a timeshare even if we wanted lol. We have 2 kids in college plus one freshman. Beyond that, if we were going to go timeshare I’d only do DVC. I think they make it SO expensive (I mean, 60K? Get out) that it will be easy to turn them down. My husband is good at delivering bad news to a hard push salesman-- after my dad turned them down on the last go around they were still (of course) gracious.

2 Likes

Hahaha! Exactly how I feel now!

I recently purchased a $250 3-night stay through IHG that we get the $250 back if we sit through a timeshare presentation. We were planning to use it in Jan when we were going to Orlando w/out kids. Now I’m not sure when we could use it. It looks like we can do 3 nights at the old Nickelodeon hotel with the waterpark, so hoping it works out when we have the kids with us. I am regretting buying it…I feel like my time is too valuable to sit through it. If they keep it to 2 hrs that shouldn’t be too bad. I know we would never buy into any timeshare, because my parents have two they NEVER use, and we can use it anytime we want, but we usually find something else with similar price that we like better - or we want to stay on property at WDW or UOR. I think we have used it once in 15 years.

2 Likes

We are looking at something called a Go Pass that gets you into several experiences for as many days as you pay to use it. The reviews are mixed with some loving it, and some being frustrated by how complicated it is and not getting enough value with a lot of work. Several people suggested getting the pass longer to allow more time to see/do the things. A 3 day pass is $80 / person / day and 7 day pass is $45/day.
We are on the fence. We know that if we buy it, we will go to as many places as we can and may miss out on some of the other more chill things to do, and may find ourselves running from place to place to try to see it all.
On the flip side, if we don’t buy it, we can go at a more leisurely pace, and not feel guilty just hanging out at the beach, but then we will likely not to do some of the things, because $50 each seems like a lot to spend every day - for a Kualoa tour or a Catamaran, etc. It’s really just a mindset that goes along with purchasing in advance.
Some of the included activities - catamaran, Kualoa tours, Waimea valley, Polynesian Cultural Center, all of the Pearl Harbor museums, Lyon Arboretum, Bishop museum, Lolani temple, 3 hour moped rental, 3 hour kayak rental, paddleboard rental, Dole farm, Sea Life Park and lots more. If paying for more than 3 days, 1 premium experience is included, which includes the Luau at Sea Life Park.
We definitely like to go do stuff, but also love being in the ocean. When we are at WDW or UOR, we RD and close it down, but…this is Hawaii, so I am thinking it might be great to just not have a plan and go where the day takes us…but the last time we tried to do that was in Orlando, while we were waiting at the airport, I made a bunch of ADR’s and on the second day, we bought AP’s for UOR on a whim and ran between UOR for rides and WDW for Dining (Sanaa, Trattoria, Kona, etc). Haha! we ran the whole time! So we know that’s how we roll.
Turns out DH wants to do a Luau, so I have the Aulani luau booked, but we can cancel if we decide to do something else.
Any thoughts on which Luau to do? We saw a recommendation for the Paradise Cove Luau, which seems to be very authentic. I am eligible for us to go to the Hale Koa Luau, which seems to be the cheapest. Then there is the one at the Sea Life Park, which seems ok, but not great reviews on the food - but included in the Go Pass.

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the “Go Pass” but it sounds like it has the potential to be a good value. We don’t like to rush around that much when we are there though. We usually went somewhere each day and then spent the rest of the time on the beach or at the pools. I’ve heard you can watch the luau for free near the Hilton Village on Waikiki. The Lanikuhonua also has a luau. It must be pretty good since we saw a line for it, many ppl walked over from Aulani to attend. Although their website isn’t helpful.

1 Like

We looked at doing the pass, but I worried that I would want to make the most of it and I would try to cram in too many things.

We did the Toa Luau. We loved it. The fee included entrance into Waimea Valley which is lovely. Before the luau began they had various cultural activities–my DS learned how to open a coconut.

Yes! Exactly my concern too.

1 Like

This seems like a great mindset!

2 Likes

Waimea valley is on list of things I would like to do, so I’ll definitely check into this one. Thanks!

3 Likes

We still did a lot without the pass and had some relaxation days on the beach as well.

1 Like

Definitely check it out. The waterfall in Waimea valley was so disappointing but the rest of the grounds were beautiful.

2 Likes

Another random question…Does Aulani decorate / celebrate Christmas?

1 Like

oh, I want to know this too

1 Like

Here is a post I found on Disney Parks Blog in 2019, but I cannot find anything about this year. I did find a couple posts from people who were there in 2021, who said things like, “Characters are back for Christmas.” so hoping it’s all up and running this year. Here’s the link to the post and some highlights of the description. - https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/11/celebrating-the-holidays-hawaiʻi-style-at-aulani-a-disney-resort-and-spa/

Starting Dec. 1, our Disney friends – including Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Daisy – will appear around the resort in their festive Aulani holiday attire for photos and jolly greetings. Plus, all around the resort, beautiful Hawaiian-inspired holiday décor will adorn the guest areas and deck the halls.

Keiki (children) will have a fun with Santa Goofy during Keiki Holiday Cookie Decorating at Aunty’s Beach House. Keiki can show off their creativity making sweet treats from Dec. 2 all the way through Jan. 3, each Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There is a nominal charge for this activity.

Throughout the season, our pastry chefs will bring a bit of cool “Frozen” fascination to our warm winter days, with a stunning, hand-made pastry showpiece. The display will include two giant macaron trees with over 400 glittering macarons. A white chocolate tree will be the centerpiece, decorated with over 100 Mickey Mouse gingerbread cookies. The top of the tree will be adorned with everyone’s favorite snowman, Olaf. The wintery scene will be complete with delicate sugar ice trees and snow babies frolicking in the “snow” with Santa Stitch.

Of course, the holidays wouldn’t be complete without indulgent treats to eat. This year, we have more scrumptious sweets than ever with candy cane Mickey macarons, holiday caramel apples, gingerbread spiced cream cheese coffee cake, peppermint brownies and much more, available for purchase. Plus, we’ll have exclusive Aulani holiday merchandise, like ornaments, so you can have a keepsake of your Aulani yuletide memories on your Christmas tree for years to come.

1 Like

Sounds like breakfast is covered!

1 Like

Found this tiny box on the Aulani website:

2 Likes

Mele Kalikimaka

2 Likes

I just purchased the Photopass+ one week option for Aulani. The receipt came back from Disneyland. I called and they said it is the right one for Aulani, but I will need to use the MDE for Disneyland to access it after we purchase. I tried to link my Aulani reservation to the Disneyland MDE, but it says it’s not recognized. Any ideas?

The Paradise Cove Luau is very very large, so there’s that. It’s fun, just large.

The Hale Koa has an older vibe (almost retirement age vibe). I enjoy it, but that’s because I’m old lol. (I feel old).

The Toa Luau on North Shore at Waimea Valley has great reviews right now from the locals- I’m taking my family there in December. It’s more a traditional luau, and it’s a bit smaller than the Paradise Cove. It gives you free entrance to the botanical gardens there (before the luau). I’m excited to try this.

The Aulani luau is pretty Disney-fied from what I’ve been told. Again, I’m waiting to do it. It’s like $1K for us to go to a luau (7-9 people) so I try to put them on special occasions!

2 Likes

I’m guessing you’ll have to link your PhotoPass card they give you at Aulani. IMHO, the Aulani app is garbage. It makes MDE look Amazing…

1 Like

Yeah it will be decorated. They’ll do fun stuff there. It’s going to be kind of understated though- you’ll get more Christmas stuff in the Honolulu City Lights in Waikiki, where the giant Hawaiian Santa and Mrs Clause are.

1 Like