At what age is best for first Disney trip?

My two sons were 10 and 9, and i think that was a good age because:

• tall enough to ride everything
  • could tour all day and not need an afternoon nap
  • could ride unattended and play in the Disney water parks kid section without needing me right by their side
  • didn’t need to waste time in line meeting characters (not important to anyone in our family)
  • Still remembers the vacation ten years later

We are taking my daughter next year when she turns 9 1/2, and I’m counting down the days!

True, but most here are not the norm, I would wager.

For my family, every vacation was a “once and done” unless circumstances changed. When it came to Disney, that philosophy was sadly applied. Even though I always wanted to go back, we never did due to various reasons.

I think unless you know it’s going to be a recurring thing, it’s a safe bet to figure every vacation decision will be a “once and done” scenario.

Finances and opportunity change over time, even day to day, so planning like every trip is your last, I think, can be very beneficial.

Thanks for the input. As I mentioned DD27 was excited we are going without her and our DGD2 this time. The next trip we are planning is for all of us. I’ve already asked DD27 to assist in the planning. I do all the planning (and I mean ALL) and have always done it. I want to pass the torch and told DD27 she’s inheriting all my planning secrets. Haha. When I told her we would start a year ahead of time she thought I was crazy. We just starting renting DVC points and I told her you need to start booking resorts about 11 months out. She was like “Oh boy, what did I get myself into?” The funny thing is I actually love the planning process. It’s my favorite part of the trip. Can’t wait to share it with her. After reading all of your wonderful responses I figure even if she won’t remember everything I think 4yo is a great age to bring DGD. And it’s not all about what “SHE” remembers. It’s what we all remember. I remember bringing my own 4yo for the first time. Watching her hug Pooh and friends and parade around CP during our family Lunch, seeing her on stage in her grass skirt at the spirit of aloha dinner and doing her hula dance, swimming in the resort pool with her Papa (My Dad) and playing in the sand. Seeing her face as we watched the electric light parade and fireworks from the poly beach, … Now she’s 13 and doesn’t remember much of these things. But WE all do. And I want to thank all of you who responded for helping me realize that.

3 Likes

I have no kids so I can’t comment from the parenting perspective, and I was 16 the first time I went to WDW so I don’t have that specific experience either. But what I DO have is my memories of going to the NY WF in 1964/65. I was 5-6 and I loved it and remember many things from those trips (bolstered by pictures). I went to Expo 67 in Montreal when I was 8 and have very clear memories of that. I’ve seen pictures of a few family vacations back when I was 3 or 4, but I have virtually NO memories of those trips.

If I had a DD or DS and was planning a trip for them, 5 is probably the earliest I would go. Will a younger kid “enjoy” WDW - probably. And as parents you’ll get lots of cute pictures. But you probably won’t be forming any lasting “childhood memories”.

2 Likes

I definitely think any age can enjoy Disney. I agree with above posts that once in a life time trips are probably best in the 6-9 age range. We started bringing kids at 9 months and go often. One of my favorite ages was nearly 3 when they can get more out of the park but are still free everywhere…except flights.

I understand completely. Some people are planners, and some aren’t. I love planning. My mom, on the other hand, always “planned” our Disney trips on the fly, in the passenger seat as my dad drove down I-95…and that was before smart phones. I don’t know how she did it, but we always had an amazing time. Have fun on both trips. And you’re right, it’s about what you remember. :slight_smile:

Anytime. We have been fortunate and have been able to travel a lot with the kids and as a result they are used to the change in schedule etc and can adapt pretty well. However ANY age can be a great age - you just need to be adaptive to it. Kids have been there from 3 - 14

1 Like

My DD was 3 when we made her first trip. Although she doesn’t have vivid memories only ones created through videos and pictures, my DH and I do and I really treasure that trip and seeing Disney for the first time through her eyes! She is now 16 and we are heading back this June! She’s been there 3 other times as well. If DD27, wants to bring her, and doesn’t mind carting around a toddler, you may find you all get enjoyment out of the toddler’s vision of Disney! Magic and all!

my only suggestion is ensuring that YOU are properly flexible. ALthough we had plans - we were very mindful of the kids. Naps, keeping them fed, taking time to see the duckies and fountains and all the things that we normally pass by that they find fascinating.

Leave the GO GO GO at the door - the younger the kids the more flexible you have to be - but it is fun!! I personally would not take an infant though. But that is just me.

We are traveling to DW in June with myself, DH, DD16, DD19, DD21, & DGD15 mos. We have very real expectations that she may be scared of characters, but when they just took her to the circus she clapped and babbled the whole time. I think she will love the shows and parades and the milder rides. We have plenty of adults to pass her to as needed and not everyone rides the thrill rides. We also take breaks every day, so we are looking forward to seeing everything through her eyes.

Just going to chip in since I can. My first trip to Disney (Disneyland to be exact) was when I was 5 years old. I don’t remember tons about it and I was always a bit smaller than other kids so I wasn’t tall enough to ride any “big” rides but what I do remember still sticks with me to this day. I remember PotC so vividly. I wanted to be a pirate SO bad after that. I remember seeing Mickey’s house and thinking it was the most incredible thing that I could meet my hero in his own house. The most memorable part for me, though, was the MSEP. I don’t think I could ever forget that soundtrack and I still get chills when it comes on. One of the bugs came up to me and whirled around. All that to say I think you’re the best person to know when the right time is. I grew up on Disney so it was a huge part of my life and seeing it in person was pure magic for me.

2 Likes

I love this response!