At the risk of offending

We’ll have to have a cash prize rather than something indivisible like a TV,car or small country.

I was thinking something based on the Andromeda Strain, but that’s good, too.

As I’ve said elsewhere I’m struggling to see how it makes sense for WDW to reopen for many months, unless it does so under severe limitations.

If you look at computer simulations, even if the US miraculously eradicated the virus from its shores, the second they reopen the borders it comes back in and they’re back to square one.

So maybe it reopens to those people who can actually get to it. And who can afford it. I foresee massive changes in people’s budgeting and substantial job-losses and unemployment.

Does it continue to make economic sense? Maybe in a slimmed down form. MK only, perhaps, and a selection of onsite hotels.

I keep seeing this sort of thing on Facebook (and here) —

She means “this will all blow over”. No, it will not. There will be no return to normal for a very long time. There is a new normal.

I’m struggling to pick a date for a reopening that makes logical sense. There are so many unknowns. I don’t even know if it will be open this time next year.

5 Likes

About three fifty?

1 Like

I’m picking June 15th because that’s the day we are supposed to arrive for my twins big 21st birthday celebration.

3 Likes

I’ll take May 31st because I wanted June 1st but that is taken.

(Someone needs to make a chart!)

3 Likes

I just laughed out loud! That is fantastic!

1 Like

I’ll take September 1st

Edited to add: if I don’t make it “go on without me” and if I win my son is @WizardInWonderland, give my prize to him.

3 Likes

I have a June trip planned, so I’ll go with June 1st.

2 Likes

I have no clue what date re-opening will occur.
May 10th (eight week closure?). I think it will be very dependent on CDC recommendations and if it has been determined that the curve was effectively flattened out.
I’m concerned about what condition the park will re-open in. The modifications could be significant: shows like Frozen Sing Along may not re-open immediately (to avoid static crowd packing), ride loads could be reduced (every other row in IASW, PoC, etc)? Going into park thru security with temperature screening? It’s difficult to imagine HEA occurring with a packed hub anytime in the next 3 or 4 months.
Is it a Disney World you’re going to want to visit once it re-opens?
Disney will seek cost cutting measures in the aftermath; I wonder how deep it will go… certainly deeper than airline pillows after H1N1.
It could be years before Disney feels Incredible again, and even then there will be a lot of “Remember When They…”

2 Likes

June 8th, my anniversary and my ADR day, not listed in order of importance…

5 Likes

If it isn’t spoken for I’ll take August 1

2 Likes

I pick May 23rd

2 Likes

Darn! That is my birthday and the date I was going to pick. Well, you have good taste!

2 Likes

Bingo. The more important question, to me, is not when it will open, but when it will be worth the price of admission plus travel and lodging costs. In the beginning, I suspect that it will be a great opportunity for local AP holders to ride all their favorite rides until they puke. But it will take some time to bring the full scope of entertainment and operations back to their former state. That assumes they decide to do so. And that depends on how much money they’re willing to spend (or debt they’re willing to incur) in the immediate aftermath of all this.

I think June 1st is a reasonable target for some kind of limited reopening. But as for when it will be back to anything we all recognize as Disney World, I’d say, at the earliest, sometime within The Walt Disney Company’s next fiscal year (beginning October 4 this year, if I’m not mistaken).

5 Likes

I’m taking 4/26. Gotta hold out some sliver of hope that our trip can still happen. (in reality I’ve given up, but maybe)

3 Likes

May 25th - but maybe with a ton of things changed (1)

Currently procedures are buying us time, to try to figure out a better solution before the disease gets out of control. Either we find a better solution or countries will give up this level of fight back.

(1) Some crazy ideas, but WDW will definitely think better things: no time in crowded queues by having a pre set Disney genie itinerary. Disinfect rides after every re-load. Temperature check at park entrance. Replace finger prints with facial recognition. Replace magic band tapping with passing through a portal. No more shows with large crowds (maybe have some delimitation on where people can be during HEA, with a minimum space between groups). Hand sanitizer everywhere.

3 Likes

May 22. Friday before Memorial Day. But I think they’ll have workers and such back before then for training, run throughs of new protocols etc.

2 Likes

Another thing to consider is that all the rescheduling effectively means that they’re going to be providing services for guests in the future for which they’ve already been paid. There will be a definite cash flow issue at the company this fall into next spring.

3 Likes

Airlines are going to face a similar situation.

2 Likes