Are Preferred Views Ever Worth It?

So far, we’ve only stayed at moderates. We aren’t in the room enough to enjoy a view, so my only concern is using the TP room request to get the 2nd floor to reduce foot traffic in front of the room.

4 Likes

Views don’t matter to me at all.
My musts are:

1. As close to the pool as possible.
  2. As close to transportation as possible.

W’re either on the go, swimming, or sleeping.

6 Likes

Just realized, at the CSR the Gran Destino Tower lake view is preferred while the HS view out the front is standard.

At the Contemporary the lake view is standard while the view out the front is preferred.

3 Likes

The lake view is ah-mazing. And you can see MK off in the distance. Definitely a fireworks view.

I loved my room so much. I do wish it had a balcony though. If I could find any fault with the place that would be it.

3 Likes

For my next trip, which is turning into years in the making, I’m upgrading our rooms. I don’t want a view like the YC one above at BC so I will be booking a garden view. For our MK resort, I’m thinking a a fireworks view room. Years to get back so we might go all out. My kids are still young, so not staying at the park— watching from our balcony would be magical for them— then quick to bed!

I didn’t realize how much a view meant to me until we went on a non-Disney trip and overlooked the rooftop similar to the yacht club picture above. And it really impacted how we felt about the room so going forward I will upgrade if it’s not toomuch to get a better view.

4 Likes

are we talking in the Contemporary or BLT?

Cause the contemporary doesn’t have any "lake views’ where you can see MK, does it?

And BLT… not all “Lake Views” can see MK… some give you a perfect look right into the pool. With all the bad music that comes with it! (but you can see AK and Epcot off in the distance, so… not all bad I suppose :slight_smile: )

99% sure she’s talking GDT at CSR.

5 Likes

…i knew that. I did!

That was a test.

You passed.

Well done.

7 Likes

No GDT

1 Like

practical non-negotiables for me are Savanah at AKL, preferred at SSR and near the hospitality house at OKW. We stayed standard view at Riv last trip and it was a gorgeous view. There I can’t imagine ever paying more for a preferred. The other resorts I’ve stayed at I do not have a strong opinion on.

2 Likes

I realize I said I generally don’t book a view but although I could have booked two standard view studios at BWV in September. I did book one standard for my son, but I booked a BW view my me and my sister😀

5 Likes

As someone who only gets to WDW every few years, I absolutely go for a preferred view, and with a balcony.

Part of an enjoyable vacation for me is having my morning coffee and my end of night glass of wine on a balcony with a decent view (often while my family sleeps). If I was stuck with that rooftop view as above or a dumpster view – which I got once at YC – it would ruin one part of my Disney vacation. So I am willing to pay extra for that, especially since it’s a special every few years trip.

Plus, the time I got that crap room at YC, the only way I felt justified in complaining (and getting a different room) was because I had paid for a “water view.”

5 Likes

There are some really great descriptions of these types of things on the yourfirstvisit website. He spends a lot of time describing what he thinks are the best rooms and what you’ll get at others. It is about all things, such as noise from the pool, proximity to food, etc., not just views.

2 Likes

Room view is not a priority for me. Would rather budget more funds for meals and snacks!

2 Likes

At AKL I would and have paid more to get Savanna view. I also have had a gorgeous pool view in a value studio at Jambo! At AKL, I will plan time to be in the room. The resort is like a park for me. I want lots of quality time on my balcony with those animals. At other resorts, I don’t know that I would pay the extra $$ or points for a preferred view or room. We just stayed at SSR and were in the Grandstand area. It was close enough to the Springs that I didn’t feel we had a hike to get over there. We weren’t there for long or trying to eat breakfast there so that may have factored in. At OKW I would prefer near hospitality house but that doesn’t cost more points. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ll echo @ninjasherrie about proximity at an all star. When I took my solo trip last year I booked a preferred just to be close to transportation and the like. I honestly didn’t care at all about the view (spoiler, it was nothing to write home about), but not having to walk all the way across the complex in the morning and at night was worth the extra cost.

4 Likes

I have learned about myself that room view does not matter to me (neither does proximity really). I say that now…sitting on my couch at home…I sing a different tune when I’m trudging back to my room at the farthest reaches of CBR after the a full day in the parks. I have tried a Pool View at BW and Savanna View at AKL (split stay - as a treat for my mom’s first Disney trip)…we were truly never in the room to enjoy them. Unless I got an unbelievable deal…or it was something very important to my travel companions, I would not do it again. As long as the room itself is nice, I’m good to go - I’m there to sleep and shower. I only have one Disney room dream and it’s not so much about view as location (inside MK :wink: ).

6 Likes

Agreed with others. Very personal view. We paid for theme park view at BLT for 3 days for our next trip. I wouldn’t normally bother, but my kids hate noise from fireworks and my husband wants to see them. Seemed a good compromise.

3 Likes

A few years ago, we got preferred room at Pop because it was our first time at that resort, and we’re 60+, so we wanted to be sure we were close to transportation, etc. But for our two stays after that, we went with standard because we knew from experience that Pop was small enough for our walking needs - and trusted TP room finder to keep us close in a standard room.

At moderates, I like garden view better than standard (parking lot) view, especially if it’s not too much more cost. Even though people walk by our window and I keep the curtains shut, mostly, if I peek out to see the weather, it’s so nice to not see the parking lot. And walking out the door, at POFQ, being greeted by the sight of the garden is so much nicer than immediately facing the parking lot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input, everyone! Loved the discussion. First blog showing you the data is up!

6 Likes