Are a lot of you WDW junkees hitting up DL this summer instead for GE?

Are a lot of you WDW junkees hitting up DL this summer instead for GE?

1 Like

You couldn’t pay me to go to DL or WDW during the opening or probably for a couple of years after. It’s going to be insane. They reckon there will be 8 hour lines just to get into the park.

4 Likes

I think only HS will be like that here. I think the rest of WDW will be fine. Not sure about out west though as I’m unfamiliar with how the parks are arranged there.

2 Likes

I completely agree! I think DL will feel the impact much more that WDW since the main park is “all inclusive”. If you aren’t in the main park at DL, then you’re in California Disney, which is fun but there isn’t enough to keep you there for days on end. DL will be extremely crowded unless they are opening an entirely separate park for SWGE like they did for Cali Disney, which I didn’t think was the case. WDW has more opportunity to avoid GE all together if so desired, which I think will help tremendously for those who don’t want to be caught up in the masses.

3 Likes

Yes I meant for DL. And I don’t think the other parks at WDW will have queues to get in, but I’d guess they will all be a lot busier. I’m sure there will be people who come just for Star Wars and don’t go to the other parks, but I’m betting there will be a lot more who do.

1 Like

If I had the money I’d SO be there for opening. I’d sleep at the gate and buffalo stampede to the millennium falcon.

2 Likes

I’m going to DL in early October. Can’t wait!

1 Like

Yea. I read somewhere…was it TP? that there is a prediction of 200k in crowds at DL when capacity is 40k. Surprised they have not released hard tickets events for purchase especially since there is no advance FP system at DL. You could go wait in the lines without knowing if you would even get in that day.

1 Like

I think this is the source: https://insidethemagic.net/2018/12/star-wars-galaxys-edge-crowds-disneyland/ . The glass-half-full view might be that when the insanity is occurring on the DL side, DCA (a one-minute walk away) might be delightfully quiet!

2 Likes

I may be overly optimistic and trusting of @len and TPs, but I do truly believe that arriving early and with a good TP, I can get inside the SWGE area and on at least one game. Then I’d probably jump over to another park. I’d do that for 2 days and be extremely happy.

1 Like

Yup, our exact plan for October! But what I’ll be trying to figure out ahead of time is what part of the a.m. will one need to first arrive in line??? Hopefully, there will be some predictability for needed arrival by the fall.

1 Like

You mean in 2023, when things have calmed down a bit?

Oh, I get you. You mean you’ll be in line for two days and then get in.

Yeah. That sounds about right.

4 Likes

I’m going to go against the grain here and say it won’t be as bad as everyone thinks. Yes, the first few months are going to be absolutely insane. Yes, DHS is going to be much busier for the foreseeable future. But I am thinking that having it on both coasts will actually help, and while we will see long lines (like FoP), I think after the first six months it will become manageable with FPP and a good Touring plan.

1 Like

Bwahahahahaha

I may go for the opening at DL, depending on when that actually is and what they offer. A high cost, low crowd pre-opening event sounds like the way to see it. They did that for the retheming of Pixar Pier and charged $299. My DL friends expect $500 or more for a SW opening night party. I will not be in line for 8 hours, that is for sure! AP previews like they did with Pandora, I would do that. I have a pass and we go a lot, so our trips might look different than a one or very few time visitor. I think it will be easier to see at WDW, but don’t plan on seeing it there until spring 2020.

1 Like

I suspect that in general WDW junkies are trying to avoid DL and WDW around (and shortly after) the opening of SWGE. Star Wars junkies on the other hand …

6 Likes

I’ll be at WDW within a couple of months of the projected opening of GE, and I’m half dreading it. There is not enough money to go to DL for the opening. Independent sources are saying there could be as many as 200,000 people showing up. Capacity for DL is somewhere around 70,00 80,000. I don’t even want to think about parking and traffic. I just feel sorry for the people of Anaheim who will have to try to live their “normal” lives during this mess.

2 Likes

Now that I’ve recently been in that area I can’t even imagine the additional traffic on the off-ramps, by-roads into the garages and lots. :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: Those poor people.

1 Like

I do WDW and DLR. I get to go to DLR solo every year after a work event that happens in LA every August. I cannot wait! Being by myself I am totally fine waiting in long lines and just wandering the way I hear you are meant to. BUT, I’m having scheduling issues with DD’s summer camp and the August work travel so a 50/50 chance I won’t be able to go. I am devastated at the idea, but keeping my fingers crossed.

All of that said, when I was wandering DL last year, I was a little bit sad that I think GE will change the spontaneous lovely little park forever.

3 Likes

I don’t know why but feeling like we will hear a solid date for DLGE in the next week. Wouldn’t that be a GREAT superbowl ad?!?

1 Like