Anyone run a Disney 5K with little kids?

You should be able to make your way to the Epcot gates by foot but its a trek. We’ve done it but you have to be intrepid and ready to walk through the parking lots. Look at the runDisney site for the map lay-down of the race start area to understand. The start and finish areas are in the far left (northeast) corner of the Epcot parking lot. You’ll need to walk back through the lots to the entrance. But we have done it and its doable!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that we won’t start/end at the FW entrance of the park. Thx for that.

1 Like

Following up again, around what time were you done with post-race milling around, etc.?

i left pretty directly from the finish line to the Disney transportation buses after finishing both the 10k and half marathon. The race finish area is laid out really well — runDisney just does better and better every year in organization in my view. I was on my way back to the resort 15-20minutes after finishing

but i didn’t run the 5k and didn’t try to head to a park directly — @Dreamer and @NoBellePrizeWinner did, I believe — they may have better feedback for you so adding them here!

1 Like

After the 10k, I walked through the finish area, picked up my gear check bag, and boarded a bus for the Contemporary. It stopped first at Ft. Wilderness, then at Wilderness Lodge. Once at CR, I walked over to MK to meet the family. I think it took me about an hour from finish line to entering MK.

The next day, I finished the half marathon around 8:20ish and made my way to the entrance to Epcot. It was a very easy walk, and took me about 20 minutes or so from finish line to Epcot entrance. I was near the back of the Rope Drop crowd, but booked it to Soarin’ and was in the first group to ride.

I just went back and skimmed some of this thread, and I have one comment. I’m not sure I would book a PPO ADR unless you are confident that you will all finish the race by a certain time. I would not want the stress of missing an ADR to taint the fun of the race. That being said, I’m planning an 8:00 ADR at Garden Grill for after the Dopey Challenge 10k in January. Really looking forward to it!

4 Likes

We did the 5k last Friday. We were in the very last wave of the last corral. We were not fast at all (super tired a from being at MNSSHP the night before). After the race we collected our drinks and snacks, took a few pictures and then headed to HS (we drove). We were in line for MFSR by 7:45 am.

1 Like

Congrats on your races and thanks for those data points! Very helpful.

Oh great to know. I have a PPO ADR for GG, but with TT on refurb in Feb, and WS not open until 11 am, am thinking maybe it would be better to RD HS or AK…

1 Like

I think that’s doable. Despite a severe lack of sleep the night before, we felt pretty awake after the race. That feeling only lasted a few hours and then we crashed.

1 Like

Yes, I’m wondering if that will be exactly what happens to us and what our timing will be for crashing! I’m thinking we will be leaving whatever park by 11 a.m. I have a 8 and 6 year old.

2 Likes

I think 11 am is reasonable. I think we left by 10:30 am.
Hopefully you are smarter than I am and you get more sleep the night before.

Ha–that’s the plan, but whether we execute is another story.

1 Like