Anyone planning a bigger/better trip in the future to make up for this year's disappointment?

So we were supposed be leaving in two days for a trip that was a true masterpiece of planning. I am dealing with my Disney grief by planning an utterly ridiculous trip for 2022.

We had been planning to go for a 4 day trip this year and a longer (8 day) trip in 2022 for spring break. Now that this year’s trip is off, I’ve decided to keep the refund money in my vacation account and I’ll keep adding to it so I can take an epic trip in 2022. This plan is assuming that nothing more catastrophic happens by then. I have 695 more planning days, and I am hopeful that WDW will be running normally by then.

I am fantasizing about CL at WL with the extra FP’s (if they still exist by then) a dessert party and also Wild Africa Trek, as DD will be 9 by then. Is anyone else planning a trip with more splurges to help make up for the dumpster fire that 2020 has turned into?
If you had 8 days at WDW what would you splurge on?

10 Likes

Funny you started the thread. I told DH if we don’t go in October we will plan an epic trip for Spring 2022. My thoughts were a long trip with a split stay.

2 Likes

I’ve contemplated it. We go once a year for 5 nights. I have thought to myself … if our October trip gets cancelled, then that means a bigger budget for the next WDW trip!

2 Likes

Splurges … club level, a couple dessert parties, EMM, DAH, Wild Animal Trek is great, signature table service dinners, Cali Grill Sunday brunch.

3 Likes

I like the idea of split stay, my dream would be WL to be close to MK for a few days and then BWI to be close to Epcot and HS. DH and DS are pretty against the idea of packing and moving in the middle. What resorts would you choose for your split stay?

2 Likes

Exactly my thoughts! Taking lemons and making Disney lemonade!

1 Like

If our December trip gets canceled or we (I) don’t feel that it is safe to go, I have considered that the replacement trip might have some upgrades. Our reservations for December are for POFQ, depending on buses. I have considered the replacement trip would involve the Contemporary or the BC to be able to walk to at least one park, for health reasons, of course.

1 Like

Dessert parties! I want to add an HEA dessert party, and a Star Wars fireworks dessert party- if they’re still having fireworks, of course ( we rescheduled for November). I’ll also spend more $$ on food and adult beverages. Our first trip, we did zero breakfasts or snacks, always packing our own. But this time, imma live up the snacks.

Because DS2 loves Cars, I wouldn’t rather stay anywhere else but where we already are.

Edit to add: we also added in an extra day to spend at the resort

3 Likes

I’m not currently planning anything but I lost a spring break in NYC with the whole family and a solo cruise (my first) to Alaska this year. So, whatever we do when we get going again will be BIG. I don’t want to do either of those planned trips right now, thinking more like road trips to places I’ve wanted to take the family, mostly beachy areas. I usually do those on the cheap but maybe not this time. Whatever we do next should be big and fun.

2 Likes

My initial thought is a room at the GraNd Floridian then do Beach Club. Our plan this year was Grand Floridian. We will
See but Wilderness looks so peaceful! I would love to 10 + over spring break and into The following week. Atleast 5 nights at each. Maybe club or fireworks room. I’d do an EMM too, we were excited about that for April.

1 Like

We did Wild Africa Trek in February. Well worth the splurge.

3 Likes

I love hearing this, DH has wanted to do this since we first read about it a few years ago. 2022 will be the first year that DD will be old enough, so the whole family can participate. Sometimes I worry with our trips being so far apart that Disney could cut some of the things we want to do before we get to do them, hoping this is still being offered when we go! :crossed_fingers:.

1 Like

TL;DR: I am thinking about how to plus our accommodations more than anything else. I expect we will be at our home resort, OKW, so that means a bigger villa which will be quite fine.

I’ve begun to think about how to best allocate my DVC points. Right now I have enough for about 5 days for next year, putting me in a borrow situation for anything longer. The 50% limit that has just been imposed would not pose a problem so that’s good.

I plan to book those 5 days at OKW (home resort) next month. Availability is going to be challenging for the next couple of years, I think, I and I need some insurance. Then, if we find we will need to cancel the late August trip we have planned, I will bank all of my points forward (hmm… I could stand to lose a few if they don’t allow me to put back the borrowed ones, but anyway). I would then combine all of those points to upgrade from a 1BR to a 2BR for whatever duration I would be able to at that point. Anything left over would be banked into the next year.

I’ve not thought of any other ways I would plus the trip. We always have something “extra” planned, and I would hope to rebook those extras.

2 Likes

The OKW villa’s look so nice and so relaxing. I can imagine they would be a really nice peaceful place to recharge after being at the parks.

We have only stayed at WL, we were supposed to try something new and stay at BWI (tomorrow). 2022 is DS16’s senior year and I told him he could choose the resort. The second we walked through the doors of WL he was hooked and he has declared the best resort ever, and has no interest in trying something new.

2 Likes

We still have an October reservation but will probably cancel. We’re leaning heavily towards just saving our money for an epic, 2 week trip when things get back to relatively normal. I might consider going solo with restrictions in place but I won’t spend the money for a whole family experience.

1 Like

Our first ever DVC stay was a 2BR villa at OKW, which has about the same amount of square footage as my own home!, and that has been my goal ever since

1 Like

Yes, I’m planning on 2022/2023 with YDS6 only. Thinking of doing 10-14 days as a one time trip (I took his brother twice so I thought I could just take him once for a longer time and save money on flights/tickets).

Thinking about a split stay so I’m updating my resort research. Here are some thoughts, if anyone has any comments!
WL: wondering if it will have any renovations by then? The rooms look tired but I like the atmosphere/location/pool
Riviera: this is a contender (would get a studio), great location, skyliner, nice pool, good restaurants
Poly: only if it is renovated by then, which I doubt will happen (stayed in a studio in 2018 and it was…tired) Also not sure if I want to repeat a resort?
AKL: this is high up on the list for a split stay due to the atmosphere & pool
Four seasons: I am interested in doing this at the end of our vacation for 3 nights and spending most of the time at the pools. But if I did a split stay between this and a Disney resort, can I still book all my FPs starting on Day 0 and going through the FS stay at the end? (If FP still exist in their current form by then…)

1 Like

As in travel insurance? We’ve never done on our dvc trips. Do you?

Yes, we might get AP’s for Disney World for a short fall trip 2021 and then a long trip early 2022. Originally I was thinking we’d just do something like Pop Century for the long trip… but now i’m thinking we do WL again… since DH enjoyed it as much as I always have when we went for his first time.

1 Like

No as in, insurance that I have a room booked somewhere well in advance as availability will be down

We do not use travel insurance.

There is one I hear advertised on ?MyDVC Points Podcast? that i have considered looking into.

1 Like