Anyone ever rent points directly from the owner?

Thanks for the clarification. Those people can be scary.

1 Like

Hmm. Is it worth joining MouseOwners now that I’m a resale DVC owner? I mean…is it useful beyond what I learn here? Never actually thought about it before.

I think I found the spreadsheet on mouse owners. I don’t know anyone, so I lean heavily towards using David’s. Even saving a little wouldn’t feel good, unless it was with someone who was at least recommended by someone. Thank you for all the posts!

I think when it comes to renting points it does come down to your own personal attitude to risk. For some people renting is too risky, period due to the lack of flexibility. Renting through a broker makes it seem safer, and often for the owner too. (I had only ever rented my points out through Davids until everything went awry almost 2 years ago. And even then, it was only chance that led me to rent my points out directly to someone here). But renting privately can mean more flexibility, depending on the owner. And it might be the only way to have the owner be willing to jump in and book hard to get rooms, or waitlist a preferred room etc. No broker will even ask an owner to waitlist.

If you do rent privately through a forum you want to make sure the person is well known on the forum in question. How long have they been a member, how many posts do they have etc.

1 Like

Is it ok to ask for recommendations on touringplans or for owners to step forward? I don’t want to get blocked, just clueless on social media. I do have a sense of comfort with touringplans and the people posting here always seem to be genuinely trying to help people. No better track record than that.

We’ve had people post asking for owners / renters before and no one has been blocked as far as I know. Just be aware that this forum does nothing to mediate transactions between individuals - you are on your own.

1 Like

If you hear from an owner here you can click on their avatar and see when they joined the forum and how active they are. Personally, I would stay away from anyone that just “pops” up.

3 Likes

Most of the private renters on the dis boards use a contract as well. Even if they aren’t in it as a business. We had a contract for our rental, it just makes sense.

1 Like

I have stayed DVC on by renting points from a very good friend of nearly 40 years and she always gives me a very good deal. For the July trip I got them for $10/point at OKW

5 Likes

DVC specifically say you must use a contract if you rent your points out. I assume that was put in place to limit the number of times renters try and involve them in any disputes, which they absolutely will not do.

So if you are ever wanting to rent points and don’t get a contract then I would walk away. It can be a very simple one, but it should at least state the resort, dates, the points and cost. Plus info on changes / cancellation etc.

2 Likes

I’ve stayed at DVC resorts 3 times renting points from a person that I found years ago on Mouseowners. We always had a contact and it went well, although I did check him out at the beginning. I think he sold his points though. On our most recent DVC stay, I got a confirmed reservation from DVC Shop. The process was quick and easy but takes some stalking to get the time period and resort that you want. Plus it’s good to have a back up.

1 Like

A good friend to have!!

I used to browse MouseOwners but didn’t find that it had any new information than what I could find on TP chat and forum or elsewhere. Same stuff just different voices.

Haven’t used it in a couple of years because it says my IP is banned. Looks like they block ranges of provider addresses. I haven’t been able to get it resolved through their administrator contact and haven’t spent much time trying to resolve it. Haven’t missed it.

For knowledge of DVC I think Mouseowners is the most informed group amongst forums. That’s likely just because it’s dedicated to DVC, or was, and some of the veterans (of the site, not age) have a knowledge second to none.
For general Disney knowledge and planning then there’s no particular reason to join.

1 Like