Anyone else regret becoming and AP?

Tables in Wonderland costs $150 and gets you an extra 10% on dining plus free valet parking at any resort where you may have an ADR.

We always save more than the TiW card costs with the food discount plus the valet parking.

Also, there are a few places where TiW is accepted at QS restaurants and it is also good at all lounges for alcoholic beverages.

2 Likes

I used to book all our WDW trips myself via on-line web site. I waited for Disney to come up with package discounts for the times I had in mind. Usually the Free meal plan was a good deal and in the early spring we got the Stay, Play, and Dine package that discounted everything a little. I then discovered MVT from liners out here and could not believe the discounts they could get using this Travel Agency. Now, however things have changed again. MVT is no longer able to offer the great discounts they did because Disney is not discounting much at this time due to the opening of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. I bought the AP before these discounts were lost and now it looks like I am going to have to depend on the Room Only discount for having the AP’s. We plan to go in Oct, April, and if possible in Aug. This should pay for the AP. The discount with AP is nice but some are very small such as MNSSHP which was $5 for a discount on tickets. Had I known that MVT discounts were going to pretty much disappear I would not have gotten the AP"s. DDP’s have changed as well. You used to be able to get a DDP discounted with a Intermediate Resort, but now you can only get a QS plan unless you go Deluxe Resort. There goes any saving for the move. Figuring out what we have spent in the past on DDP versus out of the pocket, we find we come out ahead by doing out of the pocket even though we do the character restaurants. With your magic band tied to a credit card you can still use it to pay for meals and have it charged directly to your resort credit card on file.

2 Likes

Most TiW discounts are 20% and include alcohol. This is pretty huge for us.

1 Like

My solution to everything is to create a spreadsheet! Do the numbers one way and then the other (with some assumptions built in). I listed every restaurant (TS and QS) with estimated spend (with/without 10% AP discount) projected hotel costs (for different hotel options including tax, parking, resort fees), cost of tickets (purchased thru Undercover Tourist - with a 10% increase baked in for next year), memory maker, number of ticket days (7, 8 and 9), with/without hoppers, with/without AP for one adult, with/without car rental vs Uber etc. The math will help inform decisions - and final decision may not always be a monetary one. I am gambling that I will be back in 2021 to get more bang for my AP buck. If I don’t, I’ve decided it’s worth it to me to get within a hundred dollars or so of break even on my first trip just so I can be aspirational and try to get back to Orlando sand year, rather than in 2.

Good luck. A fun trip awaits you for sure!

But we’re not really getting 20% off with TIW. We’re only getting an additional 10% off, because we already get 10% off with the AP alone (and an AP is required to purchase TIW).

That means you’d have to, at minimum, have $1,500 in TS charges in order to pay for the TIW card.

Also, one should be careful to review the discount. At Tiffins, I got some weird discount of like 13% that no one could explain, but WDW credited my credit card for the rest without question when I called back after our vacation.

3 Likes

TiW also helps if you enjoy wine, beer, adult drinks. the 10% AP discount does not apply to those but TiW 20% does

2 Likes

Yes! And I thought that would really help us out, but my family didn’t drink as much as I thought they would. I wonder what that says about me? :rofl:

1 Like

DVC members can buy them too, so an AP isn’t always required. Not sure whether that information is useful, but i thought I’d add it anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get what you’re saying about the 10 vs 20%. I’ve always just looked at it like the 20% discount covers the tips (because I would generally tip 20%). Once I’ve hit $150 in tips, I’ve made the TiW card worth it. Anything beyond the $150 is where the real savings add up.
I first got the card 2 years ago on a 4 day trip. I was with 4 other people and the $150 mark was hit on day 3!

2 Likes

That’s a good way to look at it- it seems like you’ve spent less money, haha!

1 Like

Your initial 10% comes from your AP and then you get an additional 10% with the TiW. I don’t want people thinking you get an AP discount AND the TiW discount because it has caused confusion in the past.

It saves us a LOT.

We always hit that minimum AND it’s not just Table Service…at the resorts with only food courts, the TiW is good for the 20% off and I tend to stay on the cheap side.

1 Like

TiW is 20% discount. I wasn’t considering or suggesting that it could be combined with the AP. Yes, you can only use one or the other discount (no stacking).

I know you weren’t suggesting stacking. I’m saying that there are times in the past when people will see 20% discount and assume they can stack. And when you say 20%, some people will point out that you actually only gain a 10% discount because your AP gives you a 10% discount already. I was trying to get ahead of that and still failed.

Oof. Yeah. I think the only clear way to say it is:
AP - 10% discount
or
TiW - 20% discount

Sure, folks could forego the TiW if they already have AP and just get 10% off. But for a reasonable fee, they could enjoy 20% off with TiW.

If you could stack, you’d actually assume you’d get 30% off, right? Just throwing that out for more confusion!!

1 Like

Stacking would be amazing…I can dream…

2 Likes

I am new at this AP thing so I am not quite sure what a TiW card is? :grimacing:

Tables in Wonderland…Tables in Wonderland (formerly Disney Dining Experience) - AllEars.Net

Please note it is good for some QS like Restaurantosauras, Flame Tree, and at resorts that only have food courts like Port Orleans French Quarter and the Value Resorts.