Animal Kingdom is, in fact, a Half -Day Park

The “Not to be Missed” designation is separate from the “Scope and Scale” ratings (Super Headliner, etc), so you will see overlaps. At HS, the 6 NtbM attractions consist of 2 Super Headliners, 3 Headliners, and 1 Major attraction.

It isn’t a NtbM attraction - that was a cut-and-paste error on my part. :frowning:

EDIT: It used to be a NtbM attraction, but I guess that I had never updated my attraction planning list since it was dropped.

Just FYI, it isn’t so much of an interactive game as it is “bonus features” for the attractions. Each badge is only one station, so you can do one, you can do a dozen, or just enjoy the free book they give you. :slight_smile:

We are going to be in WDW in Nov 14-21. We are staying at AKL. It will be myself, DH, DD9,7,&4 plus my mom and brother and his two kids girl 9 and boy 6. We need to do some half days for AK and HS (we want to enjoy the resort). This is first visit for all the kids. We want to focus on small kid rides (we plan on going back in a few years when everyone is tall enough to do big rides). So what are the must dos and the not dos?

Heck yes! During our last visit we left AK after being in the park after just 3 hours. Crowds were awful, cheerleaders were everywhere, and the construction walls made me feel like I was drowning in people.

1 Like

I would say the Safari ( great for the whole family) and the shows! I am partial to the Festival of the Lion King but Nemo, and Flights of Wonder wills be great for the family. When my niece was four we all went on Dinosaur, but it can be scary for some.

I’m going to weigh in here in my experience prior to the festival of walls AK has become.

I usually visit there at least twice, sometimes more, each trip, but I never spend a “full park day” there. Because I am
A frequent visitor I don’t feel the pressure to do all the things in all the parks- but I always hit my favorites. AK has a lot to offer - if I HAVE to skip a park I’m
Gonna skip HS- even before they closed some stuff down.

I do see, though, how a once every couple years family with young kids might find it a “half day” park. And that is ok with me :slight_smile:

[quote=“Chardesty11, post:23, topic:10235”]
We want to focus on small kid rides[/quote]

When I’ve traveled with kids they seem to enjoy the safari and the animal trails. TriceraTop Spin can be entertaining and you have the Boneyard place area nearby, then all three of the theater shows - Lion King, Nemo, and Flights of Wonder - are worth seeing (if you can work out the timing right to see them all). Tough to be a Bug is family friendly, though it depends on the family’s tolerance toward bugs. There are also character meets around the park that some kids enjoy. Lastly, there’s a petting zoo at Conservation Station that I don’t consider a “must do”, but if it’s something your kids may find entertaining, then it could be worth the trip out there.

1 Like

Kids love the Boneyard, but it is a massive time-suck as they never want to leave! Blindfold them if you go near it, and never mention that it exists. :wink:

1 Like

[quote=“brklinck, post:28, topic:10235”]
Kids love the Boneyard, but it is a massive time-suck[/quote]

Were it not located in Dinoland, I might be content to sit back and enjoy the scenery. Unfortunately, it’s located in the one part of Animal Kingdom that is deliberately designed to look hideous (and it succeeds in doing so).

My strategy is to not go there first, so kids have seen something else in the park that they want to do or to entice them out with food.

1 Like

No one has mentioned Tusker House!! My DH, who lets me plan everything with little input, asks for one thing: lunch at TH. We build a whole day around it. Every time we go to AK we find something new. This time it was the train to Conservation Station, the Affection Section, and the show It All Started With a Mouse. AK is the one park our family can agree on, even though I ride EE alone and no one rides Dinosaur. We could ride KRR all day!

1 Like

My kids like AK much better than HS and always have. We do the safari, dinoland, characters, the trails, and the affection center and sometimes shows (I like the AK shows the best.) I think a lot of it depends on what kind of a pace you like to keep. You can spend a lot of time in AK if kids like to learn about animals. On the trails, there are CMs who will tell you about the animals. There are cards to find and identify birds. CMs at the affection center to tell you all about the animals down to their names and personalities. My son, especially, loves all of that. My daughter would prefer to move more quickly. There is a lot to do everywhere but at some point, personal preference is just what it is about.

2 Likes

Love Tusker House.

Animal Kingdom is, far and away, my favorite park. I could, indeed, spend days there. Unfortunately I never travel solo and it usually becomes the partial day park. The upcoming trip, however, I have it slotted for day 2 of 9 and we will have Boma for dinner so there will be no point in going all the way back to WL to turn around and go back. Why, yes, I am an evil genius!

Radio Harambe, a podcast focused on Animal Kingdom, has had great episodes covering the Imagineering backstory of several of the attractions. There was also a blog but I cannot find any of my saved links. The Imagineers and Joe Rohde did an incredible job of creating a story line for the attractions which just add to the experience. The problem is this: most people don’t seek out the backstory and so AK is just a fancy zoo. With that view, it is most definitely a half day park.

I’m not a huge fan of Dinoland. It seems thrown together and that is disappointing. If I could remake one section of any park, that would be the place I fix.

1 Like