And so it begins again!

Love the new hat!

1 Like

I salute you both for taking the trip! It takes courage and grace to accept help and courage and fortitude to be the caregiver.

3 Likes

I have two sons and have had the same thoughts throughout this post! Randall, the bond you and your mom have is amazing and beautiful.

2 Likes

Ugh, yesterday was an interesting set of issues. After breakfast, we rode Peter Pan and small world and I noticed mom falling asleep on small world. With that, I decided to bag the lazy morning and we went back to the hotel so she could sleep. She did and I was on my own until around 11 when I came to get her for animal kingdom.

She immediately looked disappointed and said sorry she made us miss breakfast. When I explained she not only didn’t make us miss anything, but thatshe was there, she argued with me. She didn’t believe me and had no recollection of breakfast at all. It wasn’t until I showed her the pictures that she started to believe me.

After that, we headed over to AK as scheduled, but she was then in a mood all day. Nothing “impressed her” (her words) and by 2pm she was done with it. So headed back to the hotel for more sleep.

After that, off to Epcot just in time for rain to start coming down. Ate at rose and crown and she had Sheppard’s pie, which she didn’t finish and is cranky about everything. Rain starts to clear, and we get a coffee and make it all the way to 5 minutes before illuminations when she declares its time to go back to the hotel.

So we do. Missed Illuminations, missed MK fireworks(thanks Disney for doing everything at the same time) missed electrical water pageant (times are not listed right for that for some reason), and she’s in bed and asleep by 10.

I head out to MK to close it out, which I successfully do. But the days events has me reconsidering Thursday’s activities.

Today (thursday) is the long day. Bog, keys to the kingdom, tuskerhouse for dinner, and finally rivers of light. To avoid an issue like yesterday, I already modified and cancelled BOG this morning. I have her sleeping now, but I’m still worried she won’t make the day.

I’m thinking the rol dinner is going to be cancelled as well and we’ll just try to do standby for ROL? We have a backup day on Saturday, but weather has been a factor.

Meh, we’ll see. So long as she gets her tour done, I’m good.

7 Likes

Small world will put Anyone to sleep. We refuse to go on it anymore because we all came off like zombies. I mean, I love it, but it’s like taking 4 Benadryl. Sorry, your day didn’t go as planned. But you’re getting to do so much, after all is said and done you won’t remember what you didn’t do, but what you did do. Sounds like your being very patient and understanding. Good luck today!

4 Likes

What really breaks my heart is after I showed her the pictures of breakfast, the look on her face that she didn’t remember it was awful. It would have been better letting her think she didn’t go. :cry:

3 Likes

I hope today goes well. She’s probably exhausted. Maybe ask her what her top priority is and just do that? When my boys were young we couldn’t do more than one park per day, and we kept it to just a few hours during the time of day when they were the least tired and cranky. Maybe older people who have been ill are like that too? The traveling back and forth is hard. Regardless, I do hope today goes well!

4 Likes

I don’t know if all elderly are, but my mom definitely reverts to “angry toddler” when things aren’t going her way.

I know her tour is the #1 priority for the whole trip, it was all she talked about to people when they asked her about Disney, so everything but that can be sacrificed.

I think the long Monday just finally caught up with her and after today, the schedule goes into easy mode (lots of downtime for backup viewings of things) so if rol gets blitzed today, we try again on Sunday and I think it’ll be fine cause it’s the only thing “reserved” on Sunday .

5 Likes

I think you’re doing a great job of adjusting and reading the situation. It’s so hard to do that, especially when one is at full strength and has been looking forward to things.

5 Likes

Yes! My mom is 77 and suffers from dementia and she totally reverts to toddler mode when tired and frustrated.

4 Likes

Seriously what IS that about?? Seeing your parent throw a temper tantrum in public is just so…bizarre. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And REALLY annoying considering how often I got yelled at when I did it as a kid!! LOL if I even mouthed off at 30% of the level my mom has done in recent years, I would’ve been grounded for a month.

3 Likes

Not to mention embarrassing :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

I am not going to make any generalizations but my mom began to present her symptoms of dementia after major surgery. Even now she can get very angry when she realizes she has forgotten something. With my mom it is bad. She will see a number in her phone and call back 3 or 4 times and ask if she has talk to me. I have learned just to have the same conversation again. It is tough when she is mad because I have not called or seen her and I am actually driving home from her place.

I think you are right that there is a lot scheduled. If she forgets again I would just say- it was my fault we missed that meal- let’s eat now!

You are such a great son. Your posts make me so happy but also touch me so much. Hugs.

10 Likes

And please know that you have already planned and executed the perfect trip. No matter what attractions you experience, meals you eat, shows you see. . . . the trip is perfect because you and your mom are spending time together.

Keep being flexible, but know that NOTHING that happens or doesn’t happen will ruin the perfection of this time you have together.

At the end of the day, its not about WDW - its about the two of you.

Be well… I know that being a caretaker is hard work…

10 Likes

Sorry yesterday was a more difficult day. I hope with your reduced plan today is an easier one. You have already made some great memories so anything else you accomplish is a bonus.

2 Likes

I’m sorry Randall. I would definitely cut back on the long days. She must be getting tired. Do you have an Oximeter? She may need more oxygen with all you are doing. I always knew when my dad had something going on when his mental status changed like that. I hope you have a good day!

4 Likes

Unfortunately there is no more oxygen to be added. The POC only goes up to 2 liters and the idiots at the rental place didn’t know their product. I only get 35-40 minutes of power (per battery) with it running at full steam. We’ve been mostly stretching By being very strategic with where we go with all 4 batteries and begging for power outlet access.

We got through the tour, but only just barely. She was complaining that she wanted to go to the hotel about an hour before we went into the utilidors. it was only the realization that she couldn’t do it again that made her stay with it.

I already cancelled tuskerhouse and rol. Looks like we’re staying in tonight.

I’m just glad she got her tour. Now it’s serious relaxation time. :slightly_smiling_face:

18 Likes

I’m glad she got her tour in! Rest up. What are the plans tomorrow?

1 Like

Chef mickeys at 7:30am, then nothing until 2 as we have a lunch at the Edison, then nothing until 6 where it’s the 50s prime time cafe, then… if all goes well, finally get in fantasmic.

So I’m thinking after breakfast it’s back to the hotel until about 11-12, then go shop at Disney springs, then eat, then back to hotel until around 5, then off to HS for the night. Orrrbafter breakfast it’s back to the hotel until 1, where we head over to DS and keep going the rest of the day. So 2-10, give or take. Depending on how rested she is will determine that.

I’d like to cancel one of the reservations, but the idea of Recreating Monday’s character interactions keeps that going for CM, and I wanted to try the Edison, and she wanted to try the 50s prime time. Sooo tomorrow we feast!!(even though she’s not eating much again).

Oh and new picture from last night just before we bailed on illuminations.

18 Likes

I am glad you managed keys to the kingdom. Sorry to hear about the power issues of the oxygen.

Keep going you guys are doing great.

2 Likes