Amtrak to DLR

We are planning our first trip to DLR for Spring break next March. We’re considering taking Amtrak from Albuquerque to Anaheim. I see there is a shuttle from the station to the park. Is there a shuttle to the resort or do we take a taxi? Does anyone have experience taking the train to DLR?

2 Likes

I don’t know about Amtrak in CA, but if you start your trip in Albuquerque let me know! I’d love to send you off with a friendly wave.

3 Likes

Plan on waving about 5 ish on March 14.

2 Likes

Hey @Grumpy_in_Tejas! So glad to hear you are coming out! There is one liner @Nyleao who takes the train quite often but is hardly ever on forum. Will send a message out on chat to get some more info for you! Also this is some great stuff too First trip to DLR -- need advice - #10 by BackIntoTheFray

1 Like

Thanks @93111Tink. I was reading that thread earlier this evening. Good advice. We thought about driving but, 2 or 3 days on both ends didn’t appeal. Then I thought we’ve never taken a train trip. Albuquerque is about a 5 hour drive. Sounded like an adventure. And I don’t have to worry about a flat tire in the middle of the Mojave desert!

2 Likes

Stop will be at Angels Stadium about 4 miles from DLR. Take ART shuttle, runs approx every 20 mins Route map - Anaheim Regional Transportation or taxi might be better.

1 Like

When I looked at the ART website earlier today it looked like it only went to the park. Do you know if they actually go to the hotels? We’re looking at the Grand Californian.

1 Like

Was just going to update, ART is just to parks. Best would be taxi.

I think it would be a beautiful ride!! Always wanted to take the train from here in Santa Barbara to San Diego for the day…

Our trip is booked. As is we will arrive at Anaheim station about 10:30 AM. However it looks like we could get off at Fullerton station at 6:30 AM and maybe get breakfast at GC and a full day at the park. I assume we can get a taxi at 7:00 AM. What would y’all do?

1 Like

Do you have a sleeper car? If not you might want some rest time on arrival day.

HEy @Grumpy_in_Tejas! So glad your trip is booked. You know I have heard Taxi was the fastest but not sure of the cost and I know Nyle has hopped a shuttle before but not sure how that works. They do have a bus. ART but would think the fastest would be taxi. Will check around and let you know!

1 Like

Taxi from Anaheim would be so cheap and easy… Take you right to hotel no delay!

1 Like

My thinking is to get to Anaheim station we go through Fullerton at 6:30 & on to LAX. Then wait and change trains, go back through Fullerton to Anaheim and arrive about 10:30. Fullerton appears to be 5 miles from DLR. Anaheim station is about 3 miles from DLR but it takes 4 more hours to get there. I think we’d rather have breakfast at GC than on the train. Unless Amtrak makes one awesome breakfast. The difference in taxi fare can’t be that much.

The cab from the Orange County airport some 20+ minutes Away is usually $40. So whatever the cost- YES. Get off at Fullerton and cab it!!! It won’t be a pricey trip.

1 Like

So just looked and found this @Grumpy_in_Tejas - $17 average. http://www.fullertonyellowcab.com/Fullerton-Taxi-Cab-Fares.html

1 Like

Thank you @Mrs_Beast !

Here are some observations for future reference:
We got off at Fullerton and the Taxi to DGC was $23.
We left out of Anaheim’s new ARTIC station an the Taxi was $19.
The Southwest Cheif sways, bumps, stops and starts all night long. A good nights rest is not an option. I tried sleep in the top bunk on the upper level. Imagine bad turbulence on an airplane all night long.
Amtrak was never on time.
Food on the train is pretty good bit not a lot of choice. They assign you times for the dining car for lunch and dinner. Breakfast is first come first served. If you have less than 4 people in your group you will be seated with other people.
You don’t see much scenery on an overnight train.
If you book a bedroom or roomette there’s not a lot of room for luggage. There are some racks on the lower level. For our family of 3 I thought we had more room in 2 roomettes although we were across the hall from each other. We had an extra bunk for all our stuff.
Bedrooms have a private bathroom/shower. Roomettes share 4x bathrooms/1x shower. The Roomette shower is much larger than the bedroom’s.
The cafe in the lounge car runs out of food.
If you get on the train late in the day you will probably get a late night dining time.