AMC Disney Springs

I feel like this is a really stupid question but here I go anyway :rofl::rofl:

Is the AMC at Disney Springs like any other cinema - sold out for very popular films on opening weekend but otherwise easy to see whatever you want without prebooking? (And do you get preassigned seats or sit where you like) Or because it’s at WDW where it is obviously always very busy, is the cinema always very busy?

Secondary question - my mum is desperate to see the Artemis Fowl film while we are there in August. It comes out on 9th and we (well she, I haven’t decided) would be seeing it on 11th because that’s where it fits in my plans. It’s not out in the UK until November and she can’t wait. I don’t think this is going to be a massively popular film over here, and I’m assuming the same over there. Am I right?

Of course, the answer to the first question might make the second irrelevant!

Thanks in advance for any insight. My mum will be furious if my detailed planning doesn’t result in her seeing this film 3 months early :joy:

Yes on selling out for popular films, especially openers. Yes on generally being able to buy without pre-booking otherwise. Yes on pre-assigned seating but you get to choose (assuming its not almost sold out).

And some theaters are dine-in, if you want to choose to have drinks or food delivered to you at your seat.

If there is a film you want to see, I would just pre-book and choose seats. Its not a huge upcharge, and then you can time it to arrive without worrying about it selling out, or getting a bad seat, or having to split up.

2 Likes

I go to the movies pretty frequently and hadn’t heard of this so I just googled it. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but according to Wikipedia the release date got pushed back to May 2020. Hopefully that doesn’t ruin the trip for your mom :grimacing:

1 Like

Oh really?! Well if it’s not out, it’s not my fault so I’m fine with it. I hadn’t heard but maybe she has.

1 Like

I wasn’t really sure what time we’d be there so I didn’t want to prebook if we didn’t need to, but apparently it is no longer a problem!

I saw Mary Poppins Returns in December at the DS AMC a couple of days after it was released. It was a same-day booking inspired by rain. No difficulty getting a ticket, though cinema fairly full by the start of the movie.

1 Like

Thanks, we still might go to see something and if you can get in to Mary Poppins same day it sounds like we should be ok whatever we pick.

Though always remember: YMMV.

2 Likes

We probably wouldn’t be seeing anything that had just come out, and we wouldn’t be too bothered if we couldn’t get in, so it won’t be a big deal either way.

1 Like

Last summer I saw Ocean’s 8, about three weeks after its release, at the cinema at UOR and there was no problem with availability. They also had Jurassic World 2, which had been open a week, and that had availability, too.

These cinemas are huge and have many showings each day of each movie.

1 Like

You can always check availability on the AMC website the morning before you go (or whenever). You can see how many and which seats are taken without actually buying anything.

1 Like

That’s what I expected, I just didn’t want to be totally wrong and let my mum down!

If we go we definitely will. I actually never go to the pictures at home!

1 Like

That’s because you weren’t born in the 1930s.

2 Likes

We have 2 AMC theaters close to my home. One has fancy seats that recline and and all ways sell out for the most part unless you book your movie hours in advance. The other is an older theater with normal seats and is very easy to get tickets. I would think if you wanted to go get tickets before you ventured to DS.

1 Like

Yeah it’s been pushed back to May 29, 2020 to be precise.

1 Like

Don’t you say you’re going to the pictures? Going to the cinema is a bit formal isn’t it? Nobody says that here.

I don’t say that I’m going to see one of those new-fangled moving pictures, but they’ll never catch on!

I guess DS might be a fancier, reclining one? We can see what’s on the week before and buy tickets then if we do decide to go.

2 Likes

Like you, I never go to the cinema, except when I’m in the US, so I don’t say anything at all.

But when I do, horrifyingly I tend to say “movies”. This is because I lived in the US and picked it up there and it kinda stuck.

You’re right, that’s horrifying. But at least you recognise that.