LOLz. That’s less than it will (currently) cost me to get to MCO or BOS from NH in the spring.
Yikes! I’m sorry.
Same… we paid an insane amount for our flights to Orlando this year.
Not relishing been labelled as a Debbie Downer, but at the same time I feel the need to advise caution.
Whether the European cities will actually be “open” or not in the next couple of months is another matter.
Several countries are back in lockdowns of varying degrees, others like Spain and Italy are mandating masks everywhere again, indoors and out. And imposing new restrictions on arriving visitors.
I know the deals are not just winter ones, but I’d suggest checking very carefully about whether or not you can postpone flights before booking to travel before Easter.
This, just had to cancel our trip to Scotland.
Oh no. Your “choice”?
When was that scheduled for? I have a nurse in my office who is planning an extended trip there this ?May.
Yes, our choice. It was scheduled for April. Was going to be a hiking trip, actually our 3rd attempt at making it happen. According to DW it would involve a 5 day quarantine period right now, which we can not do. The uncertainty of what it will be like in a few months made her too uneasy
The same is not true of trips in the other direction. I’ve been following flight prices very closely. First for my June trip, but mostly for my December trip (flight booking opens in January).
The prices are insane. I have a friend who works at Virgin and she says that people have unused vacation money stacked up and they are throwing it all at 2022 plans.
For example, I can usually get a business class flight from Manchester to Orlando return for between $2,000 and $3,000. Right now almost every date is around $13,000. Some dates went on a Christmas sale and the price dropped to $10,000.
I’ve had to switch my planning to London flights. My June flights were $3,600.
As I’m travelling with my friends in December, I won’t be flying business class. Virgin has four (!) levels of economy fare and I’ll be trying to get the best I can when the prices are released. But they are selling fast and the price shoots up the more they do.
And I’m trying to not even contemplate the possibility that my June trip won’t go ahead because of damned COVID. I mean, seriously? We’ll still be dealing with that shit over two years after it began?
Currently you have to isolate and take a PCR test on day 2. If it’s negative you can end your isolation, so a minimum of 3 days (not sure what the turnaround time is right now but I suspect it might be more than 24 hrs).
I had your same thoughts but wanted to share the deals anyway
Yes, this was the problem. DW just didn’t have enough vacation to add in any extra days. Then again who wants to do that on vacation anyways?
We cancelled an April trip to Italy (Naples, Amalfi Coast ) We weren’t worried about masking or showing we were vaxxed, but DH was worried that either of us testing positive would put us in quarantine, not able to fly home and he can’t miss that much more time at work. Hoping for a return to Europe in 2023. Will stick to the US in 2022.
Think we will put Europe on the back burner for a while. We tried 3 times to go to Scotland. Also tried 3 times for New Zealand, we were supposed to go around MLK birthday week. Giving up for a few months and wait to see what the situation is this summer. This year we went to Kenya cause we will see where we can go early next year without too much hassle or uncertainty.