Am I Being Too Picky?

The 15 minutes thing would be cumulative. That is to say, it could be in close contact with 1 infected person for 15 minutes, or 5 infected persons for 3 minutes each, etc.

Generally speaking, if you are socially distanced, the mask becomes less important…although that applies more outside than inside due to ventilation issues inside. But if you can’t socially distance adequately enough, the mask becomes much more important. When you do both socially distancing and wearing a mask, your risk of infection becomes insignificant generally.

4 Likes

Nope. It is just common sense. If you are being exposed by someone who is infected, they get up and walk away and then someone else who is infected comes and takes their place, it isn’t like the clock starts over. You are being continuously exposed during that time.

Or, if I am with a person who is infected and then I get up and move to another room where there is an infected person, same applies.

This is where ventilation and spacing (and masks) are important.

3 Likes

No, I understand the reasoning behind this. You ultimately have to worry about viral load. The more you breath in (exposed to) COVID, the more likely your body will actually become “infected”. So, having short stints near someone who is infected you aren’t as likely to be exposed to enough to cause a problematic viral load. The longer you are around them, the more you are breathing in, etc.

So, it was determined that 15 minutes is about the time period, statistically speaking, they they see spread happening. But these are instances of single contact tracing. It isn’t often you would be in continuous proximity to MULTIPLE people who are infected, so statistically speaking, that wouldn’t be “on the radar” to be concerned about.

But really, the key isn’t that you are exposed 15 minutes to a single individual, it is that you are exposed for 15 minutes (or more) to ANY individual who is infectious.

Now, the problem with a place like Disney is that you might only be exposing yourself to someone who infected for a couple minutes at a time…but if you are doing that constantly over and over again, your viral load increases each time. What are the chances of this? Not much, unless there is high degree of contagious infection. But the thing is, you can’t know. You could be the unlucky person who strikes the lottery and hits seven guests in a row who are all contagious!

Point is, though, that the cumulative aspect of this isn’t something you would likely encounter, realistically, and isn’t easily testable in any study. But based on what we DO know, it makes a cumulative exposure (meaning, serially in contact with DIFFERENT individuals) something to be aware of.

What I WOULD like to know is what happens when you have a SMALL viral load exposure, and then, you get a break from exposure before you are exposed again. How long does the break need to be for the viral load to drop back down? And, would many short exposures over a prolonged period of time build up immunity in your body even though you may never become “infected” (aka, symptomatic or contagious)?

3 Likes

Warning: Thread hijacking in process!!!

I wonder if we can keep these kinds of discussions to the other million threads devoted to them. I am avoiding those at all costs as I just can’t keep banging my head against the wall and/or beating the dead horse anymore.

Call me a wench if you want. Or at least a party pooper. But really, this is way off topic from OP’s question.

13 Likes

Let’s hijak to talk about this!! Why isn’t this a separate thread? When, where? Soon?? @OBNurseNH where’s the magic wand??

5 Likes

:woman_mage:

4 Likes

I’m just waiting for news on ratatouille. Keep hearing so many different rumors.

3 Likes

We need this symbol for a few threads!

I noticed Ratatouille was available to add on my Epcot Touring Plan for December and my heart skipped a beat.

2 Likes

Yes, but only for my second Epcot day! Hopefully Dec 1 is a target date. They really, really need to get this open!