Am I a member, or not?

I think that was an in-person purchase though, not online or by phone. The reports I saw were both of cases where the individual had purchased incredipass (by phone or online) and then were refunded the difference after visiting guest services to ask if they were sorcerer pass eligible as white card holders.

That sounds right to me.

1 Like

I believe I heard maybe My DVC Points Community report that it could not be a total of 150 points, it had to be 150 on one contract but I think that is wrong.

Doesn’t the DVC language make this clear?

1 Like

That’s the same show I was referencing up above.

1 Like

I found this language:

Effective June 3, 2021, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 150 Vacation Points purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. .

1 Like

I have no idea if the “150 must be in a single contract” rumor is true, though it sounds unfair to me. However, if it were true, as a workaround, you could buy one 50-point (either direct or resale) contract per year for three+ years, then sell them and use the proceeds toward the purchase of a direct contract once you could afford the single 150-point contract.

There is a new post today on the DVC Fan page that is fascinating. Someone spoke to multiple, fairly high up people and the gist of it was that there is no longer a “DVC only” AP, that DVC dropped this to cut costs, at the advice of their sales people who said it didn’t influence sales. All DVC owners can buy the Sorcerer’s pass. They mentioned something about a FL real estate ownership being the reason they extended this to all DVC, but it was not meant to be a membership “perk”.

A CM also admitted that buying the pass online and over the phone was near impossible if you are a white card holder, so you should buy your ticket and then upgrade before you enter the parks (outside vs inside has to do with keeping your park reservations)

Curious and more curious.

She also told me with new management, there were going to be many new rules.

3 Likes

This is an interesting point. Is having Florida “ownership” in real estate enough to be considered a “Florida Resident”? If there is some legal teeth behind that fight, perhaps they aren’t willing to fight that fight, since it isn’t enough of a sales hit to amount to much of anything anyhow? Curious, indeed.

2 Likes

I heard the exact opposite, that Florida is pretty strict on timeshares NOT counting.

Two things are for sure- DVC is a mess right now, and if it worked I my financial favor, I would try to upgrade my tickets to AP when I got to the parks.

3 Likes

That’s what I’d imagine. I could see the political nightmares that could be created if people could claim their timeshare ownership as residency, and then start voting in local/state elections even though they don’t actually live there.

Or claim residency to avoid paying state income tax.

The Bahamas on the otherhand actively promotes timeshares as a way to be granted residency.

1 Like

I don’t even think literal physical property entitles you to “resident” status. Like if you own a rental home or some other property, you need to prove you LIVE there with bills/license, etc.

3 Likes

I honestly think the fact that it is not an actual discount, rather a pass available to DVC and FL residents with blackout days, is why it is available to all.

3 Likes

Florida law actually isn’t the sticking point for that. It’s proving you’re NOT really a resident of the state that wants to charge you income tax. Example: DM just moved to Texas (no income tax) from Minnesota. She will need to prove to Minnesota she no longer meets their definition of a Minnesota resident to avoid their income tax.

I would expect Disney can define “Florida resident” however they want for any kind of discount/pass purposes. I doubt there is any kind of legislation specifying how a company must recognize it or that they need to follow some state or local definition. (But then again, it’s Florida, so maybe nothing would surprise me at this point.)

1 Like

So sounds like online is a definite no, but by phone is CM dependent and at the parks is a yes. Messy messy messy.

2 Likes

Please tell me that you are quoting Professor Hinkle.

2 Likes

I read it that way myself!

4 Likes

Absolutely!

2 Likes

Honestly he’s pretty much the blueprint for any villian or evil thing or just general badness in my minds eye. Like I associate him with it all for some reason. I guess he was the first and most impressionable ‘bad guy’ I was introduced to when I was little.

4 Likes

My DS2 is SO obsessed with Frosty. :snowman:

2 Likes