Allergies at WDW- recent experience

@mjsmomma, not yet, but I will definitely update if/when they do!

@Ariadne- I’m sure that is a lot of hte problem, and we’ve seen people abuse the system in the past due to dislikes or preferences. It’s hard for everyone and I really do see where it’s not the best use of a chefs time to constantly be talking to people. I do think it would be possible to have a few people within each restaurant who are responsible for knowing where things come from, etc. who could then work with a chef to make safe meals for people and save the chefs time too.

BTW- sorry, all, just realized I could have written one post and responded to everyone- just learning how to use this forum!!

Just wanted to update as I did hear back from WDW. I had a very useful conversation today with CM from Special Diets who was very interested in exactly what happened in each restaurant and understanding where the break-downs had happened. I explained to her my concerns with the “allergy menus” and the difference between not knowing where flour is processed before using it to make a dessert and knowing that a dessert is made in the same area/bakery as things containing nuts. She offered a refund for things we were especially disappointed in which I appreciated although I explained, again, that my sole reason for saying anything was that they would fix their processes for future guests. She didn’t expressly say it, but I got the feeling this was not the first time they were hearing examples like this and are working to improve the process in a way that works for people with allergies and also chefs/restaurants.

Thanks all for listening!!

Also, to anyone who may find this feed at a later date via search, happy to answer any questions if I can!!

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I will say in the past, Disney has been the best of any place we have ever dined in dealing with allergies. Often at WDW I felt they gave us more information than we really needed. But we haven’t been to WDW since December 2015 so their process may have changed as we always had a chef coming by to talk with us it seemed and never had to make a special request for that to happen. I will say dining at DL last summer, we still felt the allergy process was adequate for our needs and had no issues.

My impression has always been that DIS gained a lot of allergy business because they did such a great job in the past making sure there were not issues. Hopefully this is not a permanent change, but a mere blip…

@damavs That has been our experience as well, as recently as last March!! I am also hopeful after talking to the CM that they are aware of issues and working to improve. Time will tell!