All Disney retails stores at Disney Springs to re-open on May 27 per Hollywood Reporter Story(edit)

Just saw this on Twitter- This article is an interview with the President of the local union representing janitors working at Disney Springs.
https://twitter.com/carlyewisel/status/1260679955022675968

From the story -Edited for updated information
Some are anxious to get back because the unemployment system [in Florida] is completely broken," Clinton said. On May 20, only sub-contracted shops will be open in the Disney Springs shopping and dining complex. The next phase will start seven days later when Disney retail shops, such as World of Disney Store, and Disney eateries reopen, the union president said. For that, an additional 59 custodians will report back to work on May 24.

I know @len has interviewed Carlye Wisel on his podcast when she got a preview of Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland.

4 Likes

All guests and employees will be required to wear masks.

2 Likes

Just to play devil’s advocate, my own contractor; and a restauranteur in my relatively COVID19 free town both said they can’t get any help because the unemployment benefits are good enough to keep people from going back to work.

So the “unemployment system being broken” is a complex thing that is not necessarily bad.

But, in general, Florida is doing relatively well with coronavirus and I hope that Disney can pull this off. I’d like to visit next year to celebrate DS21’s college graduation- if that graduation even happens! At this point, who knows.

1 Like

Will wait for official word from Disney on this. So far I’ve only seen it on notoriously clickbait sites.

2 Likes

Hollywood Reporter is not a clickbait site. The source they used for the story was the President of the UNITE HERE Local 362 union.

2 Likes

Carlye Wisel is a very well respected journalist covering theme parks. I started following her on Twitter after hearing her on the Disney Dish Podcast with @len and Jim Hill. She didn’t write story but re-tweeted it.

It does look like Carlye reached out to Disney PR, she posted this on Twitter

https://twitter.com/carlyewisel/status/1260688014558195712

2 Likes

Good to know.

Should have said “out there in socialmedialand” I’ve only seen it on clickbait sites

Story has changed the dates a little

*Some are anxious to get back because the unemployment system [in Florida] is completely broken," Clinton said. On May 20, only sub-contracted shops will be open in the Disney Springs shopping and dining complex. The next phase will start seven days later when Disney retail shops, such as World of Disney Store, and Disney eateries reopen, the union president said. For that, an additional 59 custodians will report back to work on May 24. *

I understood that to mean custodians will come back 5/24 to begin readying things for 5/27?

It’s spreading…

Exactly the way I read it, the first go around of the story just said “four days later”. Author revised it later.

1 Like

Ah! I see what you’re saying now

In my state, if someone’s employer asks them to come back to work and the employee refuses, that employee also loses there unemployment. I believe this is a federal law but I’m not certain.

1 Like

I think unemployment laws are set by the state. Ours are very generous, at least in length- up to 26 weeks and there’s no call-back provision, unless it’s an official furlough. I don’t have any idea what unemployment pays and I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes, but I do know this has been cited as a problem by numerous small businesses all across the country.

2 Likes

We have had to cut back at my job and with the national government kicking in for $600 a week on top of the state unemployment, we have people fighting to get a layoff We have a union here so it, is decided by seniority. Such a crazy world, usually seniority in the union keeps those people from the layoff. But yes if we ask them to come back and they decline we are obligated to report it to the Department of Jobs.

My husband is a contractor for a DOD contractor and at first we were so thankful he was “essential.” Now we are counting down the days until his current contract is up and we can get more money for him staying home!!

I hear you! Us too.

A Denver news channel did a story about this yesterday. CO suspended the requirement that anyone on unemployment must be actively looking for work. That requirement suspension will be llifted as things open up. So staying on unemployment will not be an indefinite choice.

More difficult will be the people who don’t want to return to work b/c they don’t feel safe. I think generally speaking people will not be able to refuse unless they can show the employer is not providing a safe work environment (at minimum following state guidelines).

I got the feeling that my hairdresser does not want to go back to work yet. But b/c they city/state will allow for it, she won’t be able to stay on benefits.

2 Likes

That is really a tough call. The hair stylist is not performing an essential service and she’s in close contact with people. I don’t know, it doesn’t seem quite right to make her go back to work. But there are probably other jobs she can do, too. Very tough situation. I’m glad no one is asking me to make those kinds of decisions!

5 Likes

Hard for some people to go back when schools and daycares are closed. That will be the case for DD if teleworking is not an option and it isn’t safe for grandparents to travel to be daycare.

2 Likes