All By Myself with Fifty Thousand Friends: A Solo Trip Report

In fairness, the only thing I’ve ever gotten for food there is the tuna poke bowl (and it has never disappointed). I mainly go there for drinks and ambience, and to bask in my
memories of times there with friends.

Incorrect. So sorry, my friend.

6 Likes

One of these days I’m going to document my very scientific bar-vs.-sandwich experiment. You may be surprised at the conclusion, which, again, was very scientific.

5 Likes

Yes but is science even real?

2 Likes

Yeah that is best for Nomad. Unless you have a large group and can lounge on the couches. My food experiences there have been meh. And service always seems off in some way or another even though the CMs are usually very friendly.

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes

:thinking::thinking: Trying to figure out how to fit Jiko into my next trip. :thinking::thinking:

4 Likes

Come join us in January! :wink:

5 Likes

Notes on park attractions

Through a combination of early-entry rope-drop, moderate crowd levels, solo touring and other factors, I plowed through a lot of attractions without waiting in any long lines.:star_struck:

I only spent $30+tax on Genie+ and nothing on individual Lightning Lanes. :moneybag:

ATTRACTIONS I DID:

I did all of these faves, some multiple times:

• Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
  • Splash Mountain (last time on the classic version :cry:)
  • PeopleMover
  • Soarin’ Around the World’ x3
  • Test Track x3
  • Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror (one of the best drop programs I can remember!)
  • Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
  • Slinky Dog Dash
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
  • Star Tours
  • Fantasmic!
  • Expedition Everest x8 (it was closed in the spring so I was making up for lost time)
  • Flight of Passage
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Tree of Life Awakenings

New fave:

• Guardians of the Galaxy x3

I rode this for possibly the last time, at least without a prophylactic neck brace:

• Space Mountain

Not must-do’s when time is tight, but I had time and didn’t need to wait in a long line:

• Haunted Mansion
  • Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
  • Living with the Land
  • Seabase
  • Gran Fiesta Tour Starring 3 Caballeros
  • Frozen Ever After
  • Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
  • Harmonious
  • Toy Story Mania!
  • Frozen Sing-Along
  • Na’vi River Journey
  • Dinosaur
  • Feathered Friends in Flight

On this trip I decided to hit some of the classic attractions I’d missed in the spring—rides and shows I hadn’t experienced since 2006 (if ever):

• Winnie the Pooh
  • Mickey’s PhilharMagic
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Muppet Vision 3D

I thought I disliked this ride because it’s stinky and boring, but I did it because Len and the Dish crowd were doing it—it was fun, but it’s still not a fave:

• Tomorrowland Speedway

Another one I did only because it was a Disney Dish event—and enjoyed more than in the distant past:

• Country Bear Jamboree

We’d skipped these in the spring, so I gave them a whirl this time because I’d never ridden/seen them before (none made it onto my future must-do’s, with the possible exception of Lion King):

• Barnstormer
  • Journey of the Little Mermaid
  • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
  • Reflections of China
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
  • Festival of the Lion King
  • Finding Nemo the Musical

ATTRACTIONS I MISSED OR SKIPPED:

This time I skipped some of the attractions I’d done in the spring that, for me, aren’t must-do’s-on-every-trip (don’t @ me):

• Peter Pan’s Flight
  • Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Mission: Space
  • The Seas with Nemo & Friends
  • Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail
  • Maharajah Jungle Trek

This is a fave but I had done it in the spring and, regretfully, didn’t prioritize it this time:

• Enchanted Tiki Room

This is one of the classics I missed in the spring and intended to hit this time, but the wait was always (strangely) longer than I wanted to put in.

• Hall of Presidents

I rode this in the spring and would have liked to try it again (not sure yet if it’s a fave)—but the line was long and wasn’t worth the ILL to me:

• Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
7 Likes

I find it hilarious that I look pretty much exactly the same in these two pics from my Everest rides #6 and #7, right down to the expression on my face. :rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

That is funny–I sort of played a game of spot the differences between the photos!

3 Likes

:rofl: I find that a lot of my ride photos start looking the same, just different clothes sometimes. So I started trying to come up with silly poses. Now that I live here I’m running out of silly poses too!

4 Likes

:laughing:

2 Likes

More like :grimacing:

All the coasters felt rougher in 2022 than they did in 2006, and I attribute that to age (mine, not the rides’). But with Space Mountain, something happened between March and December of this year that makes me say never again.

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you

I rode in 2010, no issues.
The next time we were back, 2014, I came off like WTF just happened to me and why did that hurt my body?!

Nothing changed but I got a little older (and I was actually at my most fit at that time so that wasn’t it)

3 Likes

I feel it mainly in my neck, which is definitely creakier than it used to be. It’s a skeletal thing.

I never noticed before this trip that Space Mountain has absolutely no head support! How is there not a high rate of actual whiplash on this ride??

2 Likes

Ride it at Halloween.

I know you don’t think it can be any darker than how you experienced it.

But trust me, when they say it’s pitch black – it is like you’ve been afflicted with blindness.

1 Like

Somehow I don’t think this will make my neck feel any better.

1 Like

Notes on going solo

This trip wasn’t supposed to happen.

I’d just had a great 7-night WDW visit in spring 2022, after a 16-year absence. I knew I’d be back but didn’t know when, since my family and friends aren’t interested in visiting more than once every few years. And I’d never seriously considered going solo.

Five months before the trip, I was only just starting to think of it as a real thing.

I went ahead and made refundable reservations, but I still had a lot of—er—reservations.

As the trip got closer, I alternated between excitement and dread. At one point I almost canceled everything. I felt ridiculous for booking another expensive vacation just 8 months after the last one—to the exact same destination, when there are infinite other places I’d like to see. I felt guilty for leaving my husband behind on another trip when we hadn’t traveled anyplace new together since pre-pandemic.

But maybe two months out, the dread was gone and I was just excited. Making some ADRs with other liners was a big help—I knew I’d see some friendly faces for at least a portion of the trip, even if they were faces I’d never seen in 3D before.

And people, as you may have guessed—I had a fabulous time! The liner meets with @LTinNC82, @jab300, @FOMOm_VA and @ThorKat were so much fun! (I’m so jealous of you-all’s meetups later this month that I can’t bring myself to follow your prep thread. I’ll follow your trip report, though!)

And touring solo was great, too! I wasn’t really lonely at all. I’d had doubts that I’d be able to do any kind of consistent live trip reporting, but I found lots of opportunities to do updates, and it felt almost like you guys were there sharing the experience with me! So thanks again to all who followed along, and especially those who were able to interact in real time! :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

It was great meeting you! I hope you know you that you always have at least a lunch date when you visit again! I could even be talked into a full day or two, if I can keep up with your fast pace! :smiley:

6 Likes

Ditto! I can’t even look!

7 Likes