AK lovers: The Joe Rohde Origin Story

But the earring though. I just don’t get it.

1 Like

There’s a story to it.

1 Like

Still can’t get past the earring. :rofl:

Truly a creative genius though.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know about this podcast and Animal Kingdom is probably my favorite WDW resort-- behind DL and DCA for the parks I’ve been to overall!! Thanks- adding to my queue…

3 Likes

I was just at Aulani this afternoon (the Moana lounge fly went on sale!). It’s absolutely gorgeous. He really really leaned into Hawaiian culture and it’s very tastefully done. It’s not very “Disney” as far as Mickey Mouse, but it’s gorgeous.

4 Likes

OK update: apparently that was an old pic on their Insta and the interview was not actually done at Nomad. I am back alive.

5 Likes

This is from a different interview on another show (Disney Dose) but it explains the whole earring thing

(from Interview with Joe Rohde, Imagineer Behind Animal Kingdom, Aulani, and More--DD011 )

7 Likes

He’s so very awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I’m going to add this podcast to the top of my queue.

2 Likes

A lot of their archived podcasts would still be really good info. Things on the creation and design of the park. Some are mostly rants, you can skip those. But others are first class info I have not heard anywhere else.

2 Likes

:100:

Listened today and really enjoyed it!

1 Like

I was fortunate enough to meet Joe briefly on our first family trip to WDW in Jan 2020 (and the last vacation we did for a long while due to COVID). We were at AK walking towards KS and he was walking toward the front of the park with a small entourage. I’d just seen the Disney+ imagineering series and politely asked him if he wouldn’t mind posing for a picture with my two sons. He chatted with the three of us for a bit, asking our impressions of the park, where we were coming from, talking about FL vs CA (as he and we were both visiting from CA) and was just very friendly and gracious with my boys. A real highlight!

12 Likes

I’m not even a little bit jealous.

(except I’m seething with jealousy)

I was supposed to go to the Tiffin Talk that April :frowning:

4 Likes

16 Likes

OMG that is amazing!!!

:heart_eyes:

5 Likes

So FREAKING cool!!!

4 Likes

Wow!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

What a vibe Joe has. So great.

3 Likes

Look what I own now! A limited edition hand-signed Joe Rohde print!

I am positively GIDDY!

15 Likes

That is amazing!! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes