Airfare…buy now or wait?

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on DDs flights, and I can confirm that there were plenty of unclaimed seats to choose from, leading me to doubt that all basic fares were sold out. Probably like Disney, where they’ll open up some more basic fares in the weeks to come.

2 Likes

I"m going late august and got a flight on american a while back for around $120 with a stop in PHL. I’m sure its going to change though.

1 Like

We fly Delta and you can modify without penalty (including refunded money or miles if you modify to a lower price). I booked our Nov/Dec flights on miles a few months ago because the are typically cheapest further out when paying in miles. Stalked the Delta app daily and have already scored a refund for modifying to same flights at lower cost. Will continue to stalk periodically until departure.

As long as the airline you are booking allows free modification I say do it now. Refundable tickets cost more and would be a hedge if you wanted your money back without having to prove circumstances to trigger travel insurance, and want cash rather than an airline credit or booking a new flight (which would be fine with me so I don’t buy refundable).

2 Likes

I fly from PVD - we always fly Southwest and I usually book on opening day and track the flights for any price drops. When we travel during peak times like school vacations, I never see the prices go down! For my mid-December 2021 trip, prices dropped 90 days before and again even lower 60 days before. We’re going in late August, and there was only one price drop so far in January (about 3 weeks after I booked). Prices have only gone up and up since January. At this point, even if there is a price drop 90 or 60 days before, I don’t think it would even be a large enough drop to bring the price down to what I paid.

2 Likes