ADR finder / Kona Café / Polynesian questions

I had a reservation for S71 on my Epcot day, the idea being to visit CR and enjoy the monorail to Epcot.

But I wasn’t thrilled about it because you have to change monorails at the TTC and, besides, we have another opportunity to visit CR.

So my mind turned to the Poly. I didn’t want to do Ohana because my boys aren’t into character dining and, anyway, character dining is expensive and impossible to get ADRs for.

But then I read about Kona reopening and thought that might be a good choice. I couldn’t find an ADR so I set up the TP reservation finder.

Last night it found a perfect reservation twice. On both occasions I was on my phone when the e-mail arrived and I instantly clicked through. On both occasions the reservation had gone. Really? Is that how fast these things go?

This afternoon it found two and again I clicked frantically. The first one had gone. I went straight to MDE and did a manual search and got the second one. Though I don’t like the time and will endeavour to modify.

Questions:

1. Does anyone have any reviews of Kona since it reopened. Did they remodel?

2. Is the Poly worth visiting anyway? At Christmas?

1 Like

I think the Poly Tree is my second favorite; second to WL’s tree. I don’t know how Kona changed, but you can always do Kona To Go and sit outside on the patio or anywhere in the lobby area, both spots are prettier than the restaurant itself.

2 Likes

I’ve already been able to modify the reservation. In fact, I had a choice.

Finding ADRs for Kona is really weird.

4 Likes

I have found that often the reservation link won’t work but if I log into MDE and look for a reservation I can often find it. Sometime the exact time will not work but if I search an hour or two later/earlier my desired ADR pops up. The dining system is broken. It was a more dependable/stable platform five years ago.

8 Likes

This. ^^^^ At least from last time I would always just log in and find it that way.

2 Likes

Always.

4 Likes

My two cents: I would find a way to visit the Poly for drinks instead – Trader Sam’s, the outdoor Tiki Terrace or even Tambu Lounge would be a nicer way to visit either at the end of a MK day or as an afternoon break.

3 Likes

the antics here are worth the wait but the others are just a place to have drinks

1 Like

True but I still think those might suit his group better. The Terrace often has live music, which is nice.

3 Likes

Review from December 2020 - no memory of how the place looked. Food - portions were enormous. We were mostly there for the dessert glasses and should have just ordered them and skipped the bahn mi, poke bowl, whatever.

Polynesian Resort - probably worth visiting because it’s an original resort. Example of Walt’s ideas of what Disney World would be. Escape to your fantasy.

2 Likes

This ADR is intended to serve three purposes. In order of importance: somewhere to eat breakfast, somewhere on the monorail, a resort worth visiting.

I’m not sure anywhere else fits the bill I have in mind.

Do you already have Grand Floridian Cafe?

2 Likes

No, but we already have GF (Citricos). And the Poly is more convenient for the Epcot monorail.

3 Likes

Poly does admirably fit that bill.

2 Likes

why do you think that? ARe you just planning on walking over to the TTC?

Epcot from CR requires a change. Epcot from Poly is a short walk to the TTC then a direct journey.

2 Likes

The walk to change to the Epcot line at the TTC is much shorter than the walk from the Poly :wink:

1 Like

But you still have to wait for two monorails. And the walk from the Poly is pretty short and reasonably nice.

Besides, we have another opportunity to visit CR.

2 Likes

I prefer Poly to CR but if you are going to them for the Christmas decorations this might be an unpopular opinion but I don’t think either is “special”.

3 Likes

Not specifically for Christmas, just for the general vibe and experience.

2 Likes