A New Touring Plan Idea

Hey folks! We are bouncing around an idea we wanted to share for feedback. It’s a touring plan that requires no preplanning, ideal for users with less experience in the parks.

Just show up to any park and click “START”. It recommends your first attraction and asks you what you thought. Over time, it learns what you like and don’t like and uses that to recommend the next attraction. In the background, our touring plan optimizer works the same except that we decide what you experience rather than asking you to choose.

What do you think? Would you use it? Keep in mind, it is intended for newbies or anyone that doesn’t want to do the preplanning required for a personalized plan.

25 Likes

How much time? Same day? Multiple visits? This would determine the usefulness of this feature.

I do think this is a wicked cool idea.

5 Likes

It would retain your lifetime profile but emphasize recent interactions

6 Likes

Yes. I’d try it. I think it’s more like my current style anyway.

4 Likes

I think that this would have been absolutely brilliant for my family. We’re go with the flow people!

3 Likes

Will you ask the ages of the guests?

I would strongly recommend it to any newbies. Sounds like a great way for non-planners to get a taste of planning.

If park reservations go away, and I can return to my old habit of last minute trips, I would also use it.

7 Likes

It will only ask the absolute minimum number of questions but give you the option to provide more detail like ages, heights, or preferences. If we recommend something scary or with a height restriction and you skip it or rate it low it will learn to not recommend hose things in further steps.

5 Likes

Sounds pretty brilliant to me!

3 Likes

It sounds great for newbies. Personally I’d have heart failure not having a plan in advance :joy: though I could see using it if I had a bonus day or ended up going back to the park after leaving for the day.

11 Likes

Thinking about it a little more… it could get frustrating and confusing without having a map available in the app. I’m imagining complete newbies with no idea of the park layout and being told to go from point a to point b without any directions could create some issues.

3 Likes

I definitely know people that would use this though, like others responding here, the very idea of walking into the park without a plan is giving me heart palpitations. Would it include food suggestions and/or parades/shows or be totally focused on attractions?

4 Likes

Kind of tough asking a bunch of overplanning liners, but yeah this would be awesome for newer visitors.

5 Likes

I don’t have a use for this per se, bc;
I’m a Liner, so clearly I like to plan.
We use DAS 99% of the time, and you can’t account for that in the TP.

That said, I would 100% recommend it to newbies. (And clients :grinning:)

2 Likes

“We’re also working on a prototype for walking directions that uses augmented reality (AR) to guide you on your route.”

See whole article

6 Likes

I’ve never been a ride-by-ride planner. More of a land-by-land planner. FP+ ruined that. I’d love something that walked me through the shorter wait times even if it meant ricocheting around a bit.

3 Likes

This is brilliant. It may be targeted at newbies but as we’ve aged - with attendant changes in abilities - and as we’ve logged gobs of visits our touring practices have evolved.

Our last two trips - Sept 2019 (with 19 folks) and Dec 2020 (4) - had minimal use of touring plans in the parks.

I can definitely see my group using this.

3 Likes

Hi friend!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

:raising_hand_woman: :sparkling_heart:

Sign me up!

I come here for tips, tricks, and insights. I have never, nor probably will ever do a TP on my own. We are waaaay too “SQUIRREL” to pre-plan that stuff, but man, it’ll come in handy during the “what now?” portion of our nights.

A dynamic AI recommendation tool, I believe in it so much that I (DH) built an educational engine using the same model 6 years ago. Looking forward to reading the article.

We’ll be there this winter if you need beta users.

2 Likes

Great idea!!! Some simple modifications listed already would be great! Height requirement, little walking vs shortest wait, things like that!

1 Like