A new game: Transportation!

But ah, there’s the rub.
If these figures are just transit times and don’t include waiting, they don’t reflect what most people complain about.
Which is the waiting.

And if course, that’s the great mystery, because there’s no simple way to measure waiting, but we know its a very real problem.

1 Like

Sounds like an opportunity for the lines app. How about adding the ability to time the waits for buses? Probably would be useless data. But what if we could get data for every bus departure at each bus stop? Would be interesting to see but boring to collect!

1 Like

There is probably a way to just use GPS data from those using the app without any self-reporting.

As long as they know the GPS location of the bus stops, the app can detect if someone is waiting for a bus, and then for how long they are waiting. The information could be used to crowd source amount of time spent waiting, on average.

I’m thinking some micro cameras with wifi stuck on a post at each bus stop. Software detects each bus arrival. Bam! Probably violates many park rules…oh well.

We stay a lot at Old Key West, they have their own buses and there is a boat to Disney Springs. Old Key is close to a lot of parks. We also like anything in the Boardwalk area.

This is rather dated (2012) but does include time waiting on a bus:

Results are somewhat non-intuitive.

Does walking count as by car as the guest is getting there under their own power, or does it count as Disney transportation (it is their sidewalk, after all) or is it not in that evaluation at all?

The whole point (to me) of staying at the EPCOT area resorts is that you can walk to two parks, which is faster than driving OR taking Disney transportation. It would be odd not to include that in the analysis, but that article doesn’t mention it.

There are 2 PDF links embedded in the article which have some of those details at least alluded to.

It does claim 16 minutes (car .pdf) from BC & BW to Epcot, which makes me think it’s not walking but using the boat. It says 11 minutes from Contemporary - I had presumed that’s walking, but frankly BC to Epcot is so short a walk I can’t fathom it being 16 minutes. And perhaps more oddly the time on the 2 .pdfs don’t match for Epcot to BW & Epcot to BC - can’t explain that one…

1 Like

Yes, I agree. They do assume one is taking the boat.

I think the reason why it’s a different time from EPCOT to BC vs BW is the boat runs in a certain direction, I do not think each resort has its own boat.

For example, that’s why they show 26 minutes from BWI to DHS, because there are stops along the way, but only 10 minutes to EPCOT, because BWI is the last stop before EPCOT.

And of course, those particular charts don’t include waiting time.

In the comments section the claim is made that it does in fact include wait times.

1 Like

No, I mean those pdfs
The point of the article was to add in wait times.

Edit: NVM there are wait times.

Given the .pdfs are the heart of the data I was presuming they included wait times too based on the comment section. I’d agree the .pdfs themselves don’t seem to be labeled as such though.

No, you’re right. The original Pdfs did use average wait times, I think. that’s what she says in the comments. I just don’t believe I can go down to wait for a boat to Epcot and have it get me there in 10 minutes, on average.

Yah - although frankly that would make the 16 minutes listed from BC to Epcot make some sense. 10 does seem low though from BW, but something is off in that those numbers don’t stay consistent between the .pdfs.

1 Like

I have two links I’ve been using:

This one is beautiful, and easy to use, but the numbers look to be rounded. (Probably good enough.)

This one is older, but with more detail behind the numbers:

http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx

That last one does actually list the walking times, including the routes from the Poly and Contemporary to MK.