A Dream Delayed

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! As I sit here crying, I want you to know I am praying for you and your family and am so happy that your son is cancer free. Hang in there! You will get that dream trip one day!

1 Like

Thanks for the info about the Magic Bands!

Just to complete this a little: your magic bands will always work for direct contact (fastpass lanes, memory maker photographs and such). However, for the remote stuff (on-ride pics and videos), they will only work as long as the battery works. From what I read, this can be about 2-3 years. If your trip is more than 2 years after magic bands were issued, you might be better to get new ones. You can keep the old ones active and use them as back-up in case someone loses one. All active magic bands in a MDE account contain all the info.

In your circumstance, that means that a combination of bands would generally be fine. If your kids are wearing the “old” ones, you wear the new ones. If your kids are wearing the new ones, you should be fine with the older bands.

Just need one person’s band to be captured for the remote things, as long as you’re all friends or managed together in MDE. About the only thing that it wouldn’t capture everything for is if there are any places where the ride reads out your name(s).

1 Like

Wow! Thanks for sharing the amazing journey your family has already been on navigating through all you have in the past year. I’m so happy to hear everyone is currently doing well. That is great that the Disney planning helped you through at times. It truly is a fun escape for sure! Please make sure to post the trip report when you all do get there in person! Until then your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Major pixie dust in my eyes, too. I’m so very glad to know that your son is cancer free. Prayers for your beautiful family. Looking forward to reading your report when you do get your amazing family trip!

I’m glad to hear your son is cancer free. I wish you blessings on the upcoming birth of your daughter. I applaud you for heeding the advice of the medical professionals involved in your lives. And I admire your positive attitude. I hope you get to take this trip sooner than later. And when you finally do, it will be all the sweeter.

Please stick around, too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am elated that your son is now out of treatment and that your DD is on her way. A long happy life to all of you!
WDW is still here and we will all welcome you with open arms and dole whips when you head on over.
Please take comfort that when you do get here, your kiddos will remember so much more of your trip (all three of them!) and your kiddo may be free of CICs by then. The dream is still there amigo! It’s waiting right there for the five of you!
And it’ll wait as long as you need it to. Please let me know if you need any help making it come true ok?
A big hug for you!

2 Likes

I’m in awe. God bless you & your family. Whenever the trip does finally happen, not only will it be awesome, but the kids will be old enough to remember it too. And the folks here at touring plans will still be here rooting you on.

And yes, I can absolutely relate to trip-planning being therapeutic. It’s something one can kind of “control”, and it gives one something to look forward to. You may actually experience a semi-let-down/emptiness for reasons unknown, until you realize that your “trip-planning mode” is no longer there.

Congratulations on your perseverance, and beating cancer.

From my vantage point, you have an entire family of warriors.

P.S. - Absolutely keep the magic bands. They’re good for any trip for years, and they’re also a keepsake that represents hope & a life to look forward to.

3 Likes

@jordannoret Sorry that your trip is being delayed! Thank you for sharing your story and the photo of your beautiful family. Will your boys be getting a sister or another brother?

You and your family are amazing. And you absolutely will take that trip. My husband and I had our honeymoon at Disney World and after our daughter was born that and Disneyland became our only vacation destination. What I want to say to you is this: Canceling this trip must feel like you are having to let go of what would have been an especially magical time. But it only gets better; I mean it. As the children grow, it gets better and better.
We took my daughter to Disneyland when she was 18 months old. It was fun for all three of us. But the fun was looking at the bunnies and swans, going on It’s a Small World and Winnie the Pooh (she had her fill of rides after that) and sitting outside at The French Market feeding the birds (which I don’t think we were supposed to do). Yes, it was a VERY special time, but the real magic started when we took her to Disney World when she was 5. Our trips from then on were 4 years apart (live in Portland, OR) and like I said, it just got better and better. But one of the best parts was getting ready 2 years ahead of time! :slight_smile: From that point on I was like you in that I was on the computer everyday, planning, chatting, and reading.
My daughter is 24 now and we are going to meet at Disneyland tomorrow for Halloween fun! Disney remains just as magical to her and will for the rest of her life. When our trip date was one year out, I bounced out of bed and made the hotel reservations and plane tickets. When it hit the 60 day mark I thought I would die from excitement. I was on the computer every night making reservations to our favorite restaurants at Disney. I felt the magic everyday for 2 years. :slight_smile:
Ok, too much about me. My point is this: You are going to Disney World, there is no doubt about that what so ever. When you do it will be just as magical for all of you, probably more than you can imagine. But right now there is nothing to let go of or give up on. Get back to planning. Keep up with all the updates, tweak your itinerary and talk about all that you are discovering with your kids. Disney isn’t just a place where you, your wife and your kids go. Disney is with you now. If you don’t go for another year, or two, or three, the Disney magic can stay alive and well with your family the whole time.
My brother was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer a year ago. He had a huge tumor also and had major surgery. He finished with chemo. 6 months ago and there is not even a tiny speck of cancer left in him. He is doing fantastic and feels great. After my trip this week I’m going to begin planning another trip in a year or two with him! I’m so excited because I can start planning again! Yay!
God Bless you all. Ok, get back to that computer and feel the magic again!

2 Likes

I don’t have a lot of words for you, but know that I am touched by your story and am so happy your boy is cancer free. Not much worse for a parent than a cancer diagnosis. I’m so sorry. I want to say that you will all come out stronger after all this, and that is true, but I will also say that man that sucks. Cancer sucks. And I’m sorry your world has been rocked like that. I think you made the right decision about canceling your trips no matter how painful.

I can’t wait to read more about your trip planning and the report after you’ve been. Congratulations on the future addition to your family!