A difficult decision to cancel

We cancelled our 8/8 - 8/15 trip :cry:

Our primary reason was because both kids have quarantine advisories from their colleges which we just could not work around. Our secondary reason was the anticipated heat and humidity, while wearing masks. We have been to WDW in June, which is pretty hot, but never in August with the extreme humidity. Lastly, we were concerned about traveling to FL with the recent case spikes. (Although in my heart, I truly believe that my kids would have been safer at WDW than they will ever be on their college campuses this fall. We are very afraid for them.)

This trip was intended to celebrate DD’s HS graduation after a dismal senior year. We had extended AP’s, a 40% AP discount on the hotel, and enough SW travel funds to cover the airfare. It was an opportunity that was so hard to pass up, and we really tried to make it work. We don’t have a new countdown because now that the kids are going to different colleges, their schedules don’t line up for the foreseeable future. We believed that this might be our last chance to travel as a family for some time.

Fortunately, we did have a lovely trip in early March before the parks closed and got to experience the Flower and Garden Festival as well as all of the latest attractions at HS. Thanks to all of you who helped me plan that trip as well as this one. I love this forum! I’m so sorry for many of you whose trips were cancelled in the Spring. The weather was terrific, and we had a great time. Here are a few photos from our March trip to give liners something to look forward to next Spring (hopefully):

I just wanted to share one last thought… Everyone on this forum has been terrific and helpful. These are stressful times and emotions run high. Individuals feel passionate about the pandemic right now and have strong opinions. However, this is a travel forum, where people should feel free to ask questions and solicit opinions about traveling to WDW without fear of being judged. None of us really knows what others might be dealing with in their personal lives, or their reasons for wanting to travel at this time. Please continue to be kind!

I hope those of you who are following through with your plans have wonderful trips, and I will be following all of your trip reports with much interest. Thanks again for always giving great advice, and I really hope I can plan another family trip soon! (Sorry for the long post!)

26 Likes

We are going - a week from today! I am worried about the heat and humidity. One big factor in our decision is that both of my kids DD20 (college) and DD17 (HS) will be starting the year 100% remotely. We wouldn’t be going if that weren’t the case, because we’d be driving DD20 down to her college in California instead. We haven’t been to WDW since 2012. We go to DLR frequently, however, so we don’t need the shows, parades, etc. Just want to experience the rides we don’t get to do at DLR! My daughter actually went to DCA the last day they were open. She said it was so emotional being waved out by the CM’s at the end of the night … I’m glad you had a visit in March to tide you over! It’s so hard when the kids get to college and suddenly schedules don’t align!

6 Likes

Sorry you had to cancel your trip.
Your photos from March are beautiful.

1 Like

I’m so sorry. :pensive:

2 Likes

Sorry you had to cancel your trip! Sounds like it would have been very economical! But ultimately you’ll save money, so put that in the bank and save for your next trip!

I know you said your kids’ schedules may not align, but things change (2020 is a reminder of that :grimacing:) and I’m sure an opportunity will present itself before you know it!

Or you can take a romantic trip to Europe instead. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Remember that like me and mine we are waiting for a vaccine before going back to WDW or Universal. Looks promising for a vaccine so far so if you don’t want to chance the virus maybe waiting a little longer is the answer.

2 Likes

I’m really sorry you had to cancel.

2 Likes

Sorry you had to cancel

2 Likes

I’m sorry you had to cancel. I still can’t believe we didn’t get to do our March trip!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear you had to cancel. It is such a sad thing to do but you have to do what is right for your family.
Thank you for the Flower and Garden pics - we were supposed to go in May and that obviously didn’t happen. I love that festival with all of the flowers. Let’s hope next year will be better!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry. I get your reasons for wanting to go and your reasons for canceling. Sounds like decisions I’ve made too. Hugs.

1 Like

We are supposed to be going 31 Aug to 23 Sept (From Island of Jersey but travel via UK). As a lot of travel from this side of the pond is blocked by the US government I have to await a response to my appeal for clemency. Trip is to celebrate DD graduation from University and 21st Birthday and she has been counting down the days for 3 years. As Jersey (the Island not the state) is virtually free from COVID-19 our borders are open and we are allowed to travel pretty well wherever other countries will allow us in but will have to quarantine on return, depending on PCR test results and point of departure and transit. Most depressing if we cannot go as we have been moved from Beach Club to Water view at Yacht Club and have the 34% rate discount for loosing the free DDP and our airline have upgraded us into First due to having to travel via MIA instead of direct to MCO.

2 Likes

I hope it works out for you!

If it doesn’t there is always DLP - Paris is only a couple of hour flights away.

1 Like