7DMT - is it worth all the hype?

I think EE, RaRC, SM and BTM are all better due to the length of the design and lack of height. Its OK but we usually only ride once

1 Like

We rode this at RD the last time we went and we still waited almost 30 mins. Tbh we did not feel it was worth the wait. It is very well done but not thrilling at all.

Hey! Where have you been? Welcome back. long time, no see!

Hey! We took a two year break from Disney, didn’t come here much with no trips on the go!

1 Like

DS (first time coaster rider at 6) and I (don’t like loops or big scary plummets) loved it.

DD10 who is a thrill ride lover liked it but I think enjoyed soace Mountain much more.

Still- we are all doing it again the next day we go BUT see have FP both times. Would not want to wait crazy long for it.

I have a bizarre attitude to rides at WDW that I don’t really understand.

I like rollercoasters that have at least two of (1) fast (2) high (3) smooth. “Fast” has two components: high acceleration and high speed.

I guess at WDW I add an additional component: (4) themed.

None of the coasters at WDW match my favourite ones in the UK — Rita and Oblivion, at Alton Towers, and the Big One at the Pleasure Beach. Rita is very short ride, but has a huge initial acceleration and is an incredible rush. Oblivion is also a very short ride, but it includes a vertical plunge into a steamy black hole. Both are incredibly smooth. Oblivion is reasonably high up. The Big One is a long ride, very fast, and mostly smooth.

WDW doesn’t offer this kind of ride. (People rave about EE. I did ride it last year but I can’t remember it at all. Maybe I was just so overwhelmed by the trip as a whole.)

7DMT is not fast or high. It is — as I remember it — smooth. And it is themed. I rode it twice — once in the front row, once in the back — and I seem to remember my judgement was “meh”.

Yet, I have it twice in my schedule for my upcoming trip. Why? Partly because even though I’ve ridden it and have made my own judgement, I’m still taken in by the hype! It’s a must-do because everyone says it’s a must-do. It must be good because FPPs are difficult to get and the regular line is frequently well over an hour.

My favourite coaster at any Disney property I’ve been to is RnR — but the one in Paris, which I remember being very fast but also very smooth. The one at WDW didn’t seem as good to me.

But fast is not really what WDW is about. It’s primarily about theming. So my favourite is BTMR — reasonably fast, smooth, sort of high (you get a view) and wonderfully themed. If that’s a 10 on my WDW scale of coasters, 7DMT is maybe a 6.

2 Likes

7DMT is a must-do for us on every MK day - our 4yo would probably put herself up for adoption if we didn’t go on the Mine Train! If it was up to just the adults I suspect we’d still go on it, since it’s quick with Fastpass and an enjoyable ride.

To answer the OP’s question: I would keep both Fastpasses. If it turns out one ride is enough, you shouldn’t have too much trouble changing the second FP for something else your DDs would rather do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you compare EE to rides like the Big One, of course it will pale in comparison. I’m a coaster fanatic, and riding coasters with 300 ft drops or launches at 123 MPH is nothing.

But what makes EE so great, to me, is that despite the fact that it doesn’t compare in dimensions to a lot of coasters, I still come off the ride every time thrilled. And, furthermore, the fact that I can experience that level of thrill while seated next to my 6-year-old is really something incredible. It is a unique experience, intermixing the forward and backward elements, the dark moments in the mountain, the slight story incorporated in it. As much as Millennium Force at CP is my all time favorite coaster (and is for a great many people) the fact is, I can’t even get my WIFE to ride that with me. But EE? The entire family can ride it and we ALL have so much fun.

RnRC is fun, don’t get me wrong. And in many ways, it is a better coaster than EE. But I can’t ride it with my whole family, and it isn’t really unique. There are other coasters in other parks that give the same launch-in-the-dark experience with a series of inversions, etc. King’s Island has one, for example, that is practically identical.

So, EE for me is world-class because of that. I love riding it. It is the prime reason to even bother going to AK! (Well, again, I don’t know about FOP, since I haven’t been there yet.)

It’s weird, but I honestly can’t remember it. I remember that it goes backwards because the track is broken, but that’s it. I know it’s visually stunning from the outside. But I just don’t remember whether I was thrilled by it or not. I’ve scheduled it twice for my June trip.

I count FOP, Spider-Man and Kong in a whole different category. There’s nothing (that I know of) like these in the UK and they blew my mind. They’re amazing and really the only experiences I’m genuinely very excited about having again in 69 days time.

Yes. This is true. I mean, for one, none of those are roller coasters. :slight_smile: So, there’s that.

I’m judging EE in terms of roller coasters, not based on overall ride options. Kong was really incredible. Spider-Man was fun, although I feel it is a little too frenetic…or, perhaps, more like relying too heavily on the 3D gimmickry, which Kong didn’t do. But it was still fun and when it came out, completely cutting edge. I’m excited to try FOP.

If you read my trip reports you may remember I had a day when I did Spider-Man and FOP on the same day for the ultimate comparison. I expected Spider-Man to win because the first time I rode it I thought it was the most incredible ride I’d ever been on. In the end FOP won out. I could ride FOP for hours on end and not get bored. It’s incredible. It’s literally (one of!) my fantasies come true.

I agree.

We are huge fans of SF Great Adventure. Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, so many real thrills. EE is for me as thrilling admittedly in a different way. EE along with FoP are for us the best two rides at WDW and maybe in Orlando although I have not been to SW in a long time.

7DMT for us is designed for younger coaster riders. (feel like slinky dog may be too). EE is great for everyone despite no 300 foot drops or 127 MPH launches.

If doing MK twice I would FP+ Thunder Mountain one day and 7DMT the other. Space and splash are always musts for us.

PS. Ryan, We love Universal. Kong is amazing, Gringots etc… I think FoP may reign supreme right now. They did an amazing job on it and I can not wait for some of the future launches.

Just a shout out to this. El Toro and Nitro are absolutely great rides. Kingda Ka I, personally, didn’t do, more due to time (my kids did it, however). I’ve been on Top Thrill Dragster at CP, however, so I get the experience of it since it is essentially a slightly taller version of TTD. (TTD is, for me, a ride you do if there is little wait. Other than the launch, there really isn’t much to it.)

Anyhow, El Toro was, I think, my favorite ride at Great Adventure.

I hear you about Kingda Ka. That first push is still an insane experience. Instead of Disney we are doing a Virginia loop this year. Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg, Kings Dominion, D.C. and SFGA. Can’t wait to try intimidator 305 and Griffon. Sea World is supposed to have some great coasters now. Next trip I want to try out.

1 Like

A couple years ago, we did a trip where we started at Six Flags Great America, then on to King’s Island, Hershey Park, Six Flags Great Adventure, and then Cedar Point. It was a blast. Have fun!

It’s a good ride for small kids and adults that don’t like roller coasters. We’ll be in MK for 2 days next time and we will get a FPP, but if we were only there for 1 day it wouldn’t make my daughters top 3 list.

1 Like