7 Dwarfs Mine vs Big Thunder Mountain

Agree! We avoid barnstormer because you think it’s small then it goes way fast and tosses you around! (But the Goofy theming is fun.)

4 Likes

My almost 10 year old DS and I rode them back to back just last week! I agree, 7DMT was less scary and we both thought, more fun. It is a very smooth ride. We rode it 3 times actually - last car, first car and mid way. Unlike most coasters, the first car was less scary on it - as another poster mentioned, because the carts swing more in the rear.

Big Thunder is a rougher, and longer- you bounce around a lot in it, and there are bumps that make you feel like you will fall out…especially because the bar that comes down is one bar for both occupants, so I pulled it down into my lap but there was quite a bit of room left between DS’s lap and the bar - he did not feel secure and felt like he could fly out - which adds to the scariness. He likes the ride when he rides next to our other DS, and the lap bar is secure for both of them. On 7DMT, there are individual bars for each occupant in the seat, so he could put his down much further and he felt so secure he was riding with his hands in the air.

I agree. I would start with 7DMT and then if she is ready for it move onto Big Thunder. My 8 year old is scared to death of most roller coasters but loves Big Thunder Mountain.

You can ask the cast member if you can sit in the front car (even if you have to wait to the side for the next car). It helps to tame down the thrill factor. The front car is halfway down the drop before the weight catches up and gains speed over a hill. I’m a chicken when it comes to rides and have no problem admitting this. Tower, Everest, Rockin’…these will never be on my to-do list. I was able to do Big Thunder and Minetrain on my last trip because I asked for front seats even though I was stressing the entire time. lol