39 and 7/8 inches tall

Lifts? :joy: We were considering it!

1 Like

DGD3 was able to ride Soarin’, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash. The only 40 inch height requirement attraction that she didn’t make was Test Track. The first 2 measurement stops, she made it. The 3rd spot was a new CM who was unsure, so she called someone else over who said, No. We did nof attempt ToT with either of the girls.
DGD3 cared most abouf 7DMT and SDD and those she easily cleared the 38 inches.
Turns out that she is more of a thrill seeker than DGD6 or their Nana.

8 Likes

It is my understanding that unlike many parks, Disney goes the extra mile in putting height restrictions on their attractions. I cannot produce the article I read but it seems like there is a 4" difference between Disney Height and Ride Height at many places. So Disney goes Conservative. 1/8th of an inch is so small there would be no noticeable difference in my opinion. Some thicker socks would probably do the trick if you are that close. Now if it was at the local fairgrounds when the carnival came to town, I would probably do the opposite and want my child to be substantially taller than their requirements. Disney is always going to err on the side of caution and probably with an overabundance of caution at times. But that is what makes WDW special.

4 Likes

maybe some Pediasure “Grow & Gain” and lots of veggies? DD drank the grow & gain due to being under normal height for her age, didn’t hit 48" until 9, 54" until almost 12.

Probably for good practical reasons too at some rides. My DS4 was tall enough for MS green and they have booster seats for shorter kids but he still wasn’t able to push the buttons because they are farther away than he could reach. I spent most of the ride making sure he didn’t wiggle himself out of the seat trying to reach forward :sweat_smile:

My DD5 was just a hair under 40" last year and made it on most rides with that requirement with shoes on. Many of the rides aren’t that sensitive to 1/8" in height - anything where you’re wearing a seatbelt or aren’t in danger of falling out of the vehicle (ToT, TT, Splash, etc.). In those cases I’d be fine with thicker soled shoes making the difference. I wouldn’t risk it on BTMRR or RnRC or anything with a harness or lap bar that you could slip out from under. I would make sure my kid easily cleared the height restriction.

2 Likes

But now what am I going to talk to Jimmy Kimmel about if I ever get an invite? Thanks to you I listened to reason and don’t have any good Snickers shoe stuffing stories that endangered my kid! :scream:

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it…

Probably worth noting that Disney is going to over engineer most of their rides to have a reasonable tolerance in the case of measurement error. Also consider that the measurement is standing but the rides tend to be sitting which is technically a totally different measurement for restraint as a short waisted kid that is all legs will be shorter sitting than expected - they have to allow for a fair amount of deviation in those estimates.

4 Likes

Against my DD’s wishes, DSiL bought lifts for DGD3’s shoes. They were not used. And there was a heated discussion, before the trip, and not in earshot of the girls, regarding his decision to order the lifts even though “they” had decided they would not even attempt this.

The rides that she rode, she rode because she was tall enough to meet the requirement. DGD3 was happy and is already discussing that next trip, she will have the inches for even more rides.

4 Likes

I initially read this as “dear sister in law” and was quite confused for a minute. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Same. I was like, dang, what a bold aunt :rofl:

2 Likes

No, it was just what in the heck was my son in law thinking?

2 Likes

I didn’t realize until now that I thought the same thing. It makes much more sense now. :man_facepalming:

(Actually I thought DD was the child. I was so lost. LOL)

5 Likes