30 min wait for TOT at RD?

Back to the original question… It all depends on how you define “RD”. If you’re one of the first to enter the park and go straight there, it will probably be a short line (dare I say walk-on?). If you’re there at RD, but there are a couple hundred people ahead of you going through the gates, the it could easily be a 30 min wait. I would say that the same could be applied to RnRC, TSM, and SDD.

1 Like

Is Disney only running one side because of maintenance?
I hope they aren’t changing ToT over to Guardians of the Galaxy like DLR.

1 Like

Maintenance. They have stated that the GotG overlay will NOT be coming to WDW.

2 Likes

Here is what I found:

Though you might not realize it, several effects on the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror have been either scaled down or completely non-functional for several years now. The random drop generator, for instance, is not functional on all shafts, and several lighting effects in the pre-drop area of the ride have not been working as intended for quite some time. Fortunately these broken effects, along with a few others, will be addressed by this refurbishment, which should bring this ride back up to its ideal condition. In addition, we may actually get some upgraded effects, as updated equipment could be installed during this refurbishment in some key show scenes as well.

we’d image the overall goal here is to get the ride running at full capacity again (and with all effects working) by the time Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is ready to open this fall

More here:

I’m visiting in Mid August, so there’s always the chance that they finish early.

Even if they wanted to, the design of ToT at WDW is designed to blend into Morocco at EPCOT. That’s because you can clearly see ToT from the Morocco pavilion. Disney designed the look of ToT to blend in and just look like part of Morocco as a result. Switching over to a GotG look would undermine that decision.

3 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for pointing that out!

In my case, I would define “RD” as coming from an 8 am H&V PPO ADR. I know that puts me “right in” the RD crowd, but where? Middle? End? We have a 9 am FPP, but I was hoping to get a ride at RD and then a FPP ride on it immediately after.

When I was there a little over a week ago, I was about half way back in the RD crowd and was on the ride around 25-30 minutes after park opening.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s helpful. What time did you arrive at the park?

This is longer than I would expect for TOT at rope drop, but makes me think perhaps I just use my FPP and ride it once rather than wait 30 min and then use FPP. Is it worth riding twice?

That is a matter of opinion. But I think ToT is the best drop tower ride anywhere. Furthermore, the drop sequence you experience is different each time you ride, so you don’t know what to expect. (Well, almost true…last I recall, there were over 100 different drop patterns, so the chances you would end up with the same drop sequence twice in a row are very slim.)

I suspect what you’ll find is that if you use your FPP to get on right away, then get into SB line immediately after that to ride again, you will find your wait will be roughly the same, or perhaps even better, than RD. The advantage of this scheme, too, is that if you decide after your first time riding that you really didn’t like it, you aren’t then wasting your FPP. But if you do like it enough to want to ride again, you just hop back in SB and wait roughly the same as you would have.

1 Like

It’s definitely worth riding twice. We try to ride it 5-6 times over the course of our 2 week holiday.

1 Like

I arrived an hour before park open (because I wan’t paying attention to park hours), but I didn’t get in the RD line until around 15 minutes before park opening.

1 Like

Oh, that’s a good idea. So going SB after the first 15 min or so is after the initial RD “rush.”

Yes. While I don’t have your date, I picked a random date and tried doing that in the Touring Plan to see what it says. It said the SB wait at 9:30 would be about 18 minutes for that day.

1 Like

This is genius, really. I wouldn’t have thought to use my FPP first.

And furthermore, this way I don’t have to rush with RD, I can waltz into the FPP line.

1 Like

Make sure you take a video and post it for all to see.

1 Like

what is SB?

Stand by. Referring to the stand by line as opposed to the Fast Pass line.

1 Like