3 days at WDW. Which park should we miss?

I would really try to upgrade to park hopper given the time constraints. This way you could do HS and Epcot in one day. HS in the morning and Epcot after lunch.

Every family is different, but my kids (boys 15, 12, 10) and I really enjoy AK & Epcot.

For Epcot, we enjoy eating and exploring the world showcase. Always something interesting to try or learn. The land and seas pavilions are also interesting. TT is their fave ride here, Space is good too. Construction does make it choppy, but overall didnā€™t bother us. We spend a lot of time in EP - going in on multiple partial days kicking around WS and we eat here very often.

AK - we spend a lot of time here too. FoP, EE, Safari, Kali are all fun. Just walking around to see animals. Also Conservation station - the Vet clinic is so interesting! We spend more time in AK than either HS or MK.

HS is a park we just go to for a few rides and since you can only really get FP for one good ride and the rest donā€™t really need FPā€™s, itā€™s a frustrating park to plan. We went yesterday for Rise, did MFSR, Slinky and RnR and I think that was it. Waits were too long. IMO the food isnā€™t great - Iā€™d rather hop to Epcot. We may have spent 5-6 hrs there yesterday and kids were more than ready to go.

MK - of course this is the classic. Iā€™ve found it easy to pick up FPā€™s for the non-coaster as we go, after we use our 3, so itā€™s typically a fun day. Same comment on food - nothing here seems very special. If we are at WDW a week, we probably donā€™t spend more than 2 part days here.

Obviously we are park-hoppers and that changes my opinion. Iā€™m not sure what I would do if I had to stay only one park. I think weā€™d have a hard time staying in HS all day and enjoying it with the FP / long stand-by situation, but OTOH, I can see why Star Wars fans see this as a must-do.

I think @eug2506 is spot on, Iā€™d get FPs for HS and knock that out in the morning and then spend the rest of the time in Epcot.

1 Like

I would get a park hopper and do Epcot world show case at night.
Thatā€™s the best part of Epcot anyway.

1 Like

I know, I know. We just donā€™t feel the love of AK the same way you do. Not that there arenā€™t some positivesā€¦like EE! But if there was one park I would skip if I had to, AK is the cut.

There is plenty to love there. I just love the other parks more.

1 Like

@wildboysmom Do you have favorite food items at the counter service restaurants in Epcot? We have two ā€œgraze around the worldā€ lunches planned and curious what your (and others) top bites are?

Were I in your situation, especially being DLR pros, I would skip MK. Some reasoning.

1. The only things ā€œuniqueā€ to MK are Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (cool in concept, not overly thrilling to ride, and very short), Country Bear Jamboree (which you may have seen in DL; itā€™s a classic that I personally love, but most people put it on their skip list), Hall of Presidents (another classic that I personally love, but most people find boring and ā€œa place for a napā€), Enchanted Tales with Belle (which is targeted for the under 10 crowd; I doubt your boys would find it very interesting), and the People Mover (not nearly as good as the DL version was when it was running). Of all of the ā€œsimilarā€ attractions in DL and MK, the DL versions are generally ā€œbetterā€; exceptions being JC (longer), Splash (a bit longer), Astro-Orbitor (WDW version is still up on a high platform). The WDW PoC, IASW, and SM are seriously inferior to their CA couterparts. Of the 6 US parks, DL is my favorite and MK is my least favorite (because the whole time Iā€™m there I wish I was in DL).

2. AK is a must-see. Pandora is amazing and Flight of Passage is rivaled only by Rise of the Resistance as the best Disney ride in the country (at least by those who have ridden both). Everest is the best coaster in the 4 parks, Dinosaur is a very good thrill ride (even if it is a ā€œstep downā€ from Indy in DL), and of course there are the animal exhibits - which rival those of the countries top zoos in quality, if not in size. The only thing I can compare KS to is the San Diego Zooā€™s Safari Park - but I like the AK safari better than the San Diego one. There are also two high production value shows; Festival of the Lion King, to me, is hands down the best live show in WDW. Kali River Rapids will be closed for itā€™s annual refurb (and who wants to get soaked in February anyway) which is no loss; itā€™s, in my opinion, one of Disneyā€™s greatest fails (itā€™s literally half the ride it was supposed to be because the budget was slashed between design and construction). Not as bad as the Rocket Rods (which I did get to ride one time), but close.

3. For many years, Epcot was my favorite park in WDW. In my opinion FW is a shad of what it was ca. 1990, but is still unique and has little overlap with DLR. Even with TT closed, there are still 8 attractions there (admittedly, not all great), and one could argue that MS is one of the most intense rides in WDW. WS is one of my personal favorite places in WDW. I love that you can get a sampling of the many different cultures - food, drink, shopping, and in a number of cases live entertainment. And there are 2 rides (Mexico and Norway), 3 movies (China, France, and Canada), and the most elaborate AA and film mixed-media show that Disney ever created (The American Adventure). Add this to the various live performances going on throughout the day, and there is plenty to do. How much of it your boys would enjoy is something only you as their parents can judge.

4. And now we come to DHS (aka the Star Wars park). Itā€™s hard for me to judge this park today as I havenā€™t been to it since TSL and SWGE have opened. Itā€™s almost 2 parks; the back half which is virtually all new, and the front half which hasnā€™t changed significantly in 15-20 years. There are 4 shows (5 if you count the Frozen sing-along); the only one that your boys would probably like is the Indy stunt show - and none of the others come even close in production value to Aladdin that used to play in DCA. But if you play the ā€œwhatā€™s unique gameā€, it comes down to very little. DLR has SWGE and Star Tours, a variation on ToT (although the FL version is better), and TSM. The Swirling Saucers in TSL are rethemed Mater from DCA. That leaves you with RnRC (think faster SM with loops and different theming) and SDD - a ā€œfamilyā€ coaster that people describe as ā€œfun but not thrillingā€.

These are the perspectives of a 60 year old guy who has been going to WDW since 1975 and DLR since 1985, who loves big-time thrill rides (they canā€™t make a coaster tall, fast, or long enough for me), but also appreciates the amazing detailing and atmosphere of the Disney parks. Most people who are ā€œprosā€ at one resort want to focus on the thing that are unique to the other - which is the philosophy I used above. Knowing both resorts pretty well (50+ days at each) Iā€™d be happy to try to answer specific questions you might have.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that one. I think AK is my least favorite.

We have a couple.

Canada has nothing. Used to have beaver tails - a pastry sort of thing.

UK has of course fish and chips which doesnā€™t fit our bill of a snack thing to share tho we have. Decent outdoor eating space.

France has Les Halles with an amazing selection of sweet and savory. Iā€™m a soup fan and loved the lobster bisque last time we were there. I like to ask the CM serving us whatā€™s their favorite. Weā€™ve had some interesting and usually good stuff here. Pissaladiere kind of a pizza thing. Macaron. No eating space.

At Morocco the sweet many layered pastries are hard to pass up but I like the vegetable platter to share which I seem to be mentioning a lot. Usually plenty of seating.

Japan = sushi, of course but I have had yummy soup here. Seating can be a problem sometimes

American pavilion - incredibly weā€™ve had funnel cakes here. Kinda makes you feel transported to the State Fair (or maybe thatā€™s a midwest thing?) Didnā€™t look for any seating.

In Italy we keep making to get a pizza slice but so far not. In several trips.

Germany seems to be a beverage place. :blush:

China if itā€™s open, the little kiosk by Showcase Lagoon has the best finger foods for sharing. No seating at kiosk.

Norway I havenā€™t discovered anything wonderful at the counter service which is odd as I love most everything on the coldbordt inside the table service restaurant. Donā€™t recall seating at all.

Mexico churros. Gotta be churros. Eat as you wander.

1 Like

But just before you get to Canada there is a kiosk that sells cronuts (cross between croissant and doughnut) which are one of my favorite snacks in EP.

Do NOT do this. As good as the pizza in VN is, the QS pizza slices are the same nasty ones that you can get at any QS location in WDW.

The soft pretzels are much better than the average, and the ā€œmac and cheeseā€ is over the top. Of course there are always wursts as well.

They also serve a Ginger Mango-rita which has become one of my favorite EP drinks. The QS at China is best avoided; not as good as your local Panda Express and more expensive.

Agreed, but avoid other food at La Cantina. The queso and salsa tasted straight out of the snack aisle bottle, and the burrito reminded me of the frozen microwave burritos that come in plastic, topped with some out of a can sauce.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Especially for the pizza tip.

I think weā€™ve had the pretzel which was good. Will definitely be on the lookout for the mac and cheese.

I love eating progressively around the world. My faves:

Empanadas at the cantina in Mexico
School bread from Kringla in Norway
Pretzel with a Riesling or a beer from sommerhaus in Germany
Cheese and wine in the cellar in Italy
More cheese or a dessert pastry from Les halles in France

1 Like