8th Nov USA entry update, Covid testing and children

Anyone else struggling to really be confident with their understanding?

Seems based on Biden announcement that vaccinated adults can travel in and will need negative covid test up to three days before BUT doesn’t state what covid test!(assume PCR.)

for unvaccinated children it seems also negative test but that some media are reporting it as being 1 day before.

We travel on Dec 27th… so Im going to have to find a test centre that does boxing day same day results!

That’s definitely what was said.

Well returning Americans only need a “viral” test (aka not antibody). So I would assume that would be the same rule. We returned from France using antigen/rapid tests!

A rapid test would be much easier!

1 Like

Children under 18 will not be required to be fully vaccinated , given the inconsistency in the global roll-out of shots for their age cohort, but those aged 2 and over will be subjected to the same COVID-19 testing policy as their parent or guardian.

That is also from the original article that I had read but perhaps it is incorrect because I’m not seeing that on the CDC website. I’ll keep looking but I definitely think rapid tests are allowed.

Thanks. I’m not sure if this is going to affect me - DS17 had one dose in August which is all under 18s are allowed right now, and he won’t turn 18 till a month after our trip but I’m hoping he’ll be able to get a second dose before we go. If not though it’s difficult to get a same day result from a PCR.

1 Like

Ok, both of my assumptions are confirmed in these FAQs!

Rapid tests are acceptable if they are a viral test that meet the requirements under the Order.

Children between the ages of 2 and 17 who are not fully vaccinated may board a flight to the United States with a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test conducted on a specimen collected no more than 3 days before departure (i.e., Qualifying Test for Fully Vaccinated) if traveling accompanied by fully vaccinated parents or guardians.

3 Likes

Fab, thanks!

2 Likes

Wait what is the “26th nov entry update”?

The new rules are to take effect on nov 8th

I think it’s just a mistake.

but they have no way of veryfiying when the rapid test was collected? so thats why I wondered if that was the cae or not?

are the rapid tests your talking about here the NHS ones?

do you have any info or link on what a ‘viral test that meets the order’ is or where that info on what qualifies can be found?

ok so CDC says

Types of tests

COVID-19 tests are available that can test for current infection or past infection.

• A viral test tells you if you have a current infection. Two types of viral tests can be used: nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) and antigen tests.
  • An antibody test (also known as a serology test) might tell you if you had a past infection. Antibody tests should not be used to diagnose a current infection.

no mention of rapid but a rapid test is antigen so meets the requirement for a ‘viral negative test’

JUST in case someone is going to Hawaii…. the state of Hawaii does require a specific kind of test to be able enter and avoid quarantine if you are not fully vaccinated. Travel Partners - Hawai‘i DOH: Info & Resources for Managing COVID-19 (hawaiicovid19.com). You also have to register for the Hawaii Safe Travels program

2 Likes

They’d have to trust the date given on your result wouldn’t they? So this is my last rapid test - you can only report it same day or the next day anyway. Though they wouldn’t know that.

Are there any rapid test sites in the airports? If they don’t have them now, do you think they will open them?

yeh but you could have received that test and used it a week ago and then upload the result today, thats what I dont get. or maybe you have to receive it and use within a certain period so they issue certificate.

there are rapod PCR test sites around airports but can be £100 plus each… and if a Lateral flow test is accepted then there would be no point visiting a site.

You could. You could also send someone else to be tested in your place since no ID checks are done. They have to trust at some point and I feel fairly certain that the date you’ve had the test, in black and white, is going to be trusted.

They don’t count the “at home” rapid tests but they used the pharmacy rapid tests. The key is that you need to get a signed print out. They do accept some “at home” ones but you need to do a virtual nurse visit while you take it for validation. I think they have a list of what the paperwork needs to have, I’ll see if I can find it.

Oh that’s different then. I don’t even know anywhere that does a rapid test in person. And a PCR might take several days to come back.