2024 Hurricane Season

I was thinking of your system yesterday! I though you must be a little nervous for the storm but also ready to test your new set up.
Hope you house is ok and the kitty does fine. Mine are unaffected by storms but the dog is a nervous nelly. Hopefully the sitters home is unaffected as well. I would have to instruct the sitter to just put out a bunch of food if I lost power. I don’t trust battery backups for more than an immediate need. Will you be gone long? If you lose power for long the sitter may need to crack all the windows for kitty. Well, you know the drilll, lol. This isn’t your first (or second or third) rodeo.

2 Likes

Initial damage report from our neighbor:
Hi Ann, just wanted to let you know that your house looks fine from the outside.

Your front and back yards have branches down. But your backyard has quite a few things that have tumbled over (a metal structure) along with one of the panels in your shared fence with Scott. Not bad, though. We lost our whole wooden fence that we share with Natalie and have some small trees down.

No flooding or standing water here in Woodbend.

She also says the power went out at 7:30am and is still out.

5 Likes

My sister in Woodlands rode out the eye wall this morning. This screenshot from her radar was when they were in the calm of the eye.

Thankfully just downed trees and temporary power outages so far. One tree barely missed the house and cars.

5 Likes

Great to hear! Hopefully no major infrastructure damage to getting the power back up and running.

1 Like

Yesterday I experienced something new. While heading out to an eye appointment, Google Maps warned me that my route might be impacted by hurricane Beryl. :laughing:

As you can see, we are in the “cone”…but the worst of any weather is trending north of us. Obviously, nothing we could have gotten compares to anything down south would get! Just kinda found it funny

3 Likes

It really has a far reach considering!

Thinking of you @amyvanhoose any news on your house? Have you gotten power back?

2 Likes

My sister’s house in Woodlands was without power and AC until sometime in the middle of the night this morning. Almost two days! :flushed:

2 Likes

Sounds like it was out about 12 hours. Lots still without. We haven’t had a solid wind event for Houston in awhile so lots of trees taking out power.

We lost some shared fence and the neighbor is taking care of it. Lots of limbs down. But sure if our mowing crew will take care of it when they’re there or not. Other landscaping issues but no known damage to house or vehicles.

DH flies home Monday so I’ll get better info then. (DM and I drove to visit relatives on way up so won’t get back until Tuesday.)

Miserably hot for those with no power/AC. So many people using generators that it’s hard to get gas for cars. So people struggling to get gas to go to work. Stuff like that. Sounds like a good one to have missed.

4 Likes

This is one of the major problems with storms. I’m happy to have the gas hunting days behind us!

2 Likes

Glad to hear your home is ok and that things aren’t as bad as they could have been. By Monday hopefully things will be returning back to a normal.

2 Likes

Detroit didn’t get 3-4" like they were predicting, but we did get a little over 2", on already saturated ground. The whole back half of our machine shop was flooded, because the parking lots on either side were, and the water came in through the brick wall.

By the time I left at 6:15ish the rain had mostly quit though, and they had most of the water pumped out of the building.

2 Likes

I’m so happy you’re not stuck there in it! I’ve got a few TX friends who are just miserable with the heat.

2 Likes

What’s happening with hurricane season this year? They predicted it to be extremely active, but it had a very delayed start. Hurricane Beryl was significant, but as of now, all’s quiet on the eastern front.

It kind of makes me nervous…like when watching Twister and suddenly you hear that ominous bass lick telling you something is about to happen.

Normally I don’t have much skin in the game…but since we have our Disney trip planned for the first week in September, I am waiting on news with baited breath. Are we going to see nothing, then bam! Hurricane after hurricane?

:woozy_face:

3 Likes

Yes, I agree.

I never have much skin in the game and travel can be modified. I am always fearful for those who could quite literally be wiped out by a megastorm

3 Likes

July isn’t normally as active. Mid August is when we see things ramp up. Also, all of the Sahara dust cominbg across the Atlantic keeps the air dry and systems from blowing up.
Unfortunately you are going during peak Hurricane time. But that doesn’t mean Orlando will get a hurricane at that time. A week before start looking off the African coast and what is moving around in the Atlantic.

3 Likes

SHHHHH!

That’s when my trip is!

2 Likes

Disney isn’t the worst place to be during a hurricane. And they are inland so you don’t have to worry about storm surge, which does a ton of damage. If I were visiting during that time I would just make sure it wasn’t a short trip incase the parks are closed a day or two. Also, I would make sure to bring something to occupy us (like card games and such) incase stuck in room. I wouldn’t expect to lose power but I would make sure to stock up on snacks and drinks if a storm is a day away from WDW. Disney wont let you starve. But you may have limited options during and right after the storm.
The biggest impact is traveling to and from WDW when a storm is imminent.

3 Likes

This is my greatest concern. Once we’re there, even if we never get to go into the parks, that’s okay. But if we can’t even get there…that’d be a bummer.

2 Likes

I would just keep and eye on things and have a back up flight in mind. Keep checking the availability of back up flight. That way the second your flight is cancelled (if that is even an issue) you can call and try to get on your back up flight. It really helps when you have a flight number ready. The agent wont have to search. A day an a half difference maybe. Or you can drive :grimacing:

1 Like

1st rule about fight club…we don’t talk about fight club!

Severe weather in general when it comes to possible impacts on trips should follow along the same lines :wink:

2 Likes