2022 Spring Break Trip (and Food!) Report

Day 6: Unexpected Disney Springs and Pool Day

We were supposed to go to Typhoon Lagoon this day but it was the coldest and windiest day of our trip. So DH and I made the very unpopular decision to delay TL by a day. It would shorten our AK visit the following day but seeing as it would be our second AK visit of the trip, we thought it would be ok.

We started the day with a relaxing outdoor breakfast at Trattoria al Forno.

Sunrise Breakfast Pizza

Tiramisu-Style French Toast

Avocado Toast

Oak-Grilled Steak and Eggs

And of course, Mickey Waffles

After breakfast, we took the Dolphin shuttle service to DS and were let out in the middle of nowhere. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ok, maybe it wasn’t quite that bad as we could still see the DS buildings (sort of) but we were FAR from DS proper. As my family headed to World of Disney, I made a beeline for Gideon’s Bakehouse. They weren’t using a virtual queue at the time so I waited on line for 10-15 minutes before being admitted to cookie heaven.

The cakes looked divine but I was trying to control myself (somewhat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) so I “only” got:

A cookies n cream cold brew along with a 6-pack of bite sized chocolate dipped mix of Gideon’s cookies and 4 specialty cookies.

Toasted Coconut Caramel Chocolate Chip

Coffee Cake Cookie

Pistachio Toffee Cookie

Original Chocolate Chip

After obtaining this glorious load (no, I didn’t eat them all at once. I purposely saved most of them to bring home as a souvenir. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:), I joined my family in shopping. I also dragged my kids to the the Photopass center for more photos. (They were quite horrified that Photopass existed even in DS. :rofl:)

I had made a late lunch ADR for Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ weeks ago as we usually eat there after TL. We were still pretty full from breakfast but didn’t want to give up Chef Art Smith’s delicious food. So we walked around DS, waiting to get hungry. Or at least, unfull enough to eat some more. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I started off with my beloved Watermelon Mash while DH had a moonshine flight

Can’t go to a Southern comfort food restaurant without having Fried Chicken & Doughnuts!

Chopped Pork Barbecue with a side of Mac N Cheese

Fried Catfish

Braised Short Ribs with a side of Mac N Cheese

For dessert, the adults shared Shine Cake

I also obtained a refill of their famous Sweet Tea Shine (yep, I lugged my bottle back to Florida from a previous trip so that I could get the Sweet Tea Shine for a discount).

By the time we returned to the hotel, it had warmed up so we let the kids swim in the pool. Then we turned in for an early night as we had the super early Early Entry the following day.

10 Likes

What is wrong with the mac & cheese on this one? Did someone lift the baked cheese off the top?

(Everything else looks sooooo yummy!! I am ready for dinner.)

2 Likes

Heh- that’s cuz it’s mashed potatoes with gravy. Delicious, too!

4 Likes

Have you posted the link to sign up to travel with your family? I want to join in the next dining bonanza! These food pics are all so amazing!!

4 Likes

For real. I’m sure we’re cousins waaaaaay down the line somewhere :rofl:

3 Likes

Ok I thought that might be the case. But I’m not a fan of mashed potatoes and gravy. :flushed:

2 Likes

I totally do the same. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

1 Like

We really have the same tastebuds.

2 Likes

Day 7: Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, AND Magic Kingdom
(Phew, I’m tired just typing that).

It was a less stressful LL grab day as I was only aiming for EE (yay, it came back just in time!) at the 7am drop. We rope dropped FOP but were much farther back in the Early Entry crowd than on the previous AK day. Hence, we didn’t finish with FOP until close to 8am. DH and DD13 went ahead to ride EEx3 (first on standby and then twice with LLs by swapping around our Magicbands). The rest of us sat at the tables near Yak & Yeti Local Cafe (sadly still closed at 8am) and shared a sausage egg cheese biscuit (available at Drinkwallah) and a vanilla donut (from the Joffrey’s in Asia a.k.a. Royal Anandapur Tea Company). Actually, the lack of many breakfast options in the parks was an ongoing pet peeve of mine. Yak & Yeti Local Cafe technically has a breakfast menu but they don’t open till 9am (even though Early Entry is at 7am). I’m still sad that Satuli Canteen stopped serving breakfast (bacon egg breakfast pods, come baaaaack!!!). And don’t get me started about the delayed breakfast options in the France Pavillion (to be continued in the following day’s report). :rage:

As soon as DD13 and DH tapped into the last LLs for EE, I grabbed LLs for Dinosaur. As we walked from Asia towards Dinoland, we looked for the Super Zoom location. We found it but unfortunately, no one seemed to be manning it yet. After riding Dinosaur, the kids had a Mickey Ice Cream Bar and Strawberry Fruit Bar. (Apparently, we’re all part hobbit, what with us eating first breakfast, second breakfast, elevensies, etc. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). After second breakfast, we walked the quiet path around the Tree of Life again and took a few special Earth Day Magic Shots at the AK entrance before Lyfting to TL.

At TL, the kids had a blast riding Miss Adventure Falls, the Storm Slides, Humunga Kowabunga (a first for them both!), Mayday Falls, and Keelhaul Falls. Even better, they were now mature enough to ride all the above without us! Whoohoo! Freedom! And not having to drag tubes up narrow steps for them! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Their favorite part of TL was by far the Wave Pool. They stayed in the Wave Pool for about an hour while I roamed for more treats.

Loaded Nachos with Walt’s Chili from the Snack Shack

I also grabbed a Mickey pretzel for DH while I happily had the Earidescent Ice Dream Cone (birthday cake flavored soft serve) from Happy Landings. It was tasty but it DID stain my teeth blue.

Throughout the day, I also played with MDE, trying to stack late afternoon MK LLs since DD13 and I were attending the Enchantment Dessert Pre-Party that night. In all, I grabbed these beauties:

I didn’t wind up using them all, due to either timing or lack of interest from DD13. But it was still satisfying to see them listed in My Day. :smile: Once I realized I couldn’t use certain ones, I released them to make other people happy.

After the kids were done with the Wave Pool, they had a quick snack of Dipping Dots and mini donuts before we headed to DS to hit up another bucket list restaurant of mine: Wine Bar George!

A non-alcoholic Dole Whip drink for DD13

The Hoot

Crispy Mac N Cheese Bites, Grilled Octopus Salad, and Saganaki on Fire (the cheese is set on fire tableside!)

The best Steak Frites EVER

Santa Carota Short Ribs

We also ordered the House-Made Meatballs.

For dessert, I had the Dole Whip Frozcato

After this late lunch, DD13 and I took the Disney bus to the Grand Floridian and then the monorail to MK. She took a much needed power nap enroute. I released the LL for PPF when I realized there was no way we were going to make it in time. When we arrived in MK at 5pm, we rode WtP with our LL but DD13 turned down Dumbo (guess I’m not really surprised) so back into the wild that LL went, too. To further recharge DD13, I got her a Goofy’s Glacier from Big Top Souvenirs before we headed to the yellow tent all the way in the back of Storybook Circus for the charging outlets I had read about. The space was practically empty (only 1 other family was in there at the time). In all, I made my teenager very happy with both the slushy and charging of her phone.

Around 6:30, we walked over to meet Mickey with our last LL and then checked into the dessert party at 7pm.

My personal haul:

I also had half a glass of moscato and some beloved POG juice.

We then walked over the the Garden Plaza viewing area in the Central Hub around 7:30. Our view:

All of us were instructed to keep the walkway clear until just before the fireworks started in order to allow any wheelchairs through. A few minutes before Enchantment, we were told to step forward. I’ve done the MK dessert party with Garden Plaza viewing before and it’s much more crowded nowadays. I’m assuming it’s because they are now cramming in double the amount of guests (After-Fireworks Party guests along with Before-Fireworks Party guests). I would never say the viewing area was ever “empty” but it was previously spacious enough that some people could choose to remain seated on the grass to watch the fireworks. Not anymore. In fact, cast members told everyone to stand up to allow more guests to fill into the area. It was always an exorbitant amount of money to pay but the value has decreased in so many ways. First, it’s way too crowded now. Second, although they added alcohol in the offerings, they took away a great savory option (goodbye, mini cheeseburger spring rolls!) and the ice cream station. The dessert selection has always been just ok, never anything spectacular. I think this will be the last time we fork over the money for the dessert party.

When I originally reserved this night for the dessert party, I intentionally did so for MK’s EEH night. I thought that we could enjoy the fireworks and then the much lower waits for attractions. However, Disney extended the park hours so instead of EEH being 9-11pm, it was now 11pm-1am. So EVERYONE was still in the parks after the fireworks. Oh well. I was hoping we could at least grab the special Tangled Lanterns magic shot before leaving but apparently everyone else also had the same idea as the line was looooong. So we decided to call it a night and head back to the hotel. I don’t love Enchantment like I loved Happily Ever After but in the end, fireworks are always awesome. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Thank you! As you can tell, food is a HUGE part of my vacation. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No problem. More for me! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nice view of the back of that lady and her kid’s head :roll_eyes: people…

1 Like

This is so much fun to follow! Great pictures and articulating the moments! What a huge trip park day!

1 Like

Yup. There’s always one. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Day 8: Epcot

Today was the day I was most looking forward to- a whole day at my favorite park, Epcot! I waited a tiny millisecond before tapping my LL selection at 7am and obtained the TT LL at the time I wanted- 9:45am. That way, we had plenty of time to rope drop Remy, eat breakfast, and walk to TT at a leisurely pace.

We arrived at International Gateway around 7:30am for Early Entry at 8am. The crowds weren’t as horrific as I was expecting considering the additional influx of guests via the Skyliner. We were allowed through the turnstiles before 8am and joined the already long line for Remy. At 7:50, the end was already past the bridge and starting in the UK. Even though it took almost 40 min to reach the ride vehicles, the wait didn’t feel bad as we were almost constantly moving, the weather was nice, and everybody was refreshed and in a good mood. We all liked the ride but didn’t feel the need to purchase an ILL for a repeat ride.

I was surprised to see that both the table service and counter service creperies weren’t open for breakfast. But what really shocked me was that Les Halles wasn’t opening till 9am. Early Entry started at 8am and that’s a LOT of hungry guests leaving the Remy ride without any nearby food options. Even Kringla opened earlier at 8:30 and I would assume that there are way more guests rope dropping Remy as opposed to FEA.

As we were waiting for Les Halles to open, we took a few photos around the France fountain and topiaries and then browsed the shop adjoining Les Halles. I blinked and a 10 person line suddenly formed at the gates to Les Halles proper so I quickly joined, too. At 9am, they opened…with only TWO cast members taking guest orders. The rest were at the registers or doing other duties. I was shocked because in pre-COVID times, there were easily 8 or more cast members simultaneously taking guest orders. TWO??? Needless to say, the line to order food moved SLOWLY. I was doubly glad at that point that my TT LL was for 9:45-10:45. It took 30 min for us to order our food. Yikes.

We split the Croissant Jambon Fromage x2 (Ham and Cheese on a Croissant), Apple Crumble Pastry, and the Roule aux Fromage (Bacon and Cheese Roll). All warmed up, of course. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As we left France and proceeded to Future World, I was dismayed to discover that all the Eggs from the Eggstravaganza were gone. I know Easter had passed but was hoping they would keep the eggs around for a bit longer. The Type A part of me was devastated (an incomplete scavenger hunt sheet!!! :sob:).

As soon as we tapped into our TT LL, I grabbed a LL for SE for 10:20. However, the Sunshine Griddle and Farmers Feast kiosks (near TT) opened up early at 10:30 (whoohoo!) so we grabbed food from both menus.

Sunshine Griddle’s Avocado Toast, Fried Cinnamon Roll Bites, and Joffrey’s Coffee Cold Brew Cocktail

I really enjoyed the Avocado Toast but the Bites were way too heavy. The Cold Brew cocktail wasn’t great either. :grimacing:

However, DH loved his Herb Crusted Spring Lamb from Farmers Feast

DS10 burned off some energy running around the nearby Play Area as the adults ate. The various Play Areas scattered near the food booths were such a great idea! After our second breakfast, we proceeded to SE and listened to the dulcet tones of Dame Judi Dench. I am so not in a hurry for Disney to change SE as I love her voice.

After we tapped into SE, I initially scored a 1:25 LL for FEA at the 11:32 drop. (Thank you, Liners!!) However, it really made more sense for us to make use of LLs within the vicinity AND closer return times. So I let Elsa go (hahaha) and grabbed a LL for Living with the Land at 11:50 instead.

We took the Tiny World Magic shot and Super Zoom shot in front of SE before moving onto the Land Pavillion to ride LwtL. Following LwtL, I obtained a LL for Figment at 1:10. We had some time to kill so…Mickey Pretzel break (again)! And of course, more festival food:

Flavor Full Kitchen’s Corn on the Cob and Strawberry Mousse

After riding Figment, we had a non-alcoholic Honey Peach Freeze

Speaking of honey, my eagle-eyed kids also found a few Spike the Bees throughout our travels. My Type A personality was very happy to fill up more spaces on the Scavenger Hunt sheet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We also had Trowel & Trellis’ Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cassis Mousse, Raspberry Gelato, and Fresh Raspberries along with another serving of the yummy Boneless Impossible Korean Short Ribs.

We then proceeded to Mexico to eat at Jardin de Fiestas. We had Taco Vampiro, Tostada de Chorizo, and a Poppy Flower Margarita. The kids also had Cantina Slushies (strawberry). I still think it’s stupid that they replaced the Paletas with Mickey Bars at this location. I love Mickey Bars but Paletas (Mexican frozen fruit pops) fit the theming better, no?

After Mexico, we passed Norway (where I shed a single tear for my released FEA) and visited a few of China’s Zodiac topiaries and the bamboo garden. In Germany, I had Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market’s Toasted Pretzel Bread while DH got a beer flight.

DH swore he wasn’t going to overdo it with food this day but he could NOT pass by Germany without having another bratwurst from Sommerfest. :stuck_out_tongue: While he happily ate his brat, I got some Caramel Popcorn from Karamell Kuche.

After his bratwurst, DH proceeded to further not overdo it by having the Pretzel Bread Pudding. :rofl:
(This man LOVES bratwurst and bread pudding).

In Italy, we went on a merry hunt for Spike the Bee. DD13 finally found him and we celebrated with a Frozen Wild Cherry Slushy and Root Beer Float from Fife & Drum Tavern in the adjoining America Pavillion.

DH also got the Wildberry Wonder Refresher from the Joffrey’s near the American Adventure. All the Refreshers from Joffrey’s looked almost exactly alike. Tasty and refreshing indeed though.

And since we’re near the Funnel Cake kiosk anyway…

While my family relaxed in the America Pavillion, I met some Characters in training that came out of a corridor near America. I saw Tigger, Geppetto, Worthington Foulfellow, a bear from Country Bear Jamboree (Is he lost or something? He’s in the wrong park! :stuck_out_tongue: ), and Goofy. After America, we browsed the Mitsukoshi Dept Store in Japan for an hour and bought a ton of fun items. Ramen slippers! Nuff said. While in Japan, I had the kids try the Frushi. They gave it an “ok”.

By this point, it was 5:30pm and my family was TIRED. They graciously waited while I stood on a very slow line at Les Vins des Chefs de France for a Grand Marnier Orange Slush and Citron Slush for DH and myself. As I finally moved to the front, I realized why- the poor cast member working the register was also dispensing the drinks. While the sole other cast member stocked boxes. And then left. I really don’t understand the logic of how Disney is staffing their France counter services.

As we left Epcot, we stopped by World Traveler at the International Gateway to redeem our incomplete hunt prizes. Even though we technically had another Epcot morning (on our departure day) to look for the last 2 Spikes, we wanted to start packing as much as possible this night to minimize the stress on our last night at Disney. We returned to the hotel around 6:30pm. The kids and DMIL settled in for the night and DH and I started the arduous task of packing. At 9pm, we finished as much packing as we could and my incredibly patient DH indulged my craving for Todd English’s Bluezoo. Helpfully, it was located right in the Dolphin lobby. We were lucky enough to nab a booth seat in the lounge without a wait.

The dark lighting made it hard to take good photos but here is our bounty:
Crab Nachos (crazy huge portion)

Tempura Green Beans
42881A93-094F-4D96-8D90-D9029BA628DC

The Signature Clam Chowder

Risotto “tots”

We also had a Serenity and New Fashioned for our drinks. If I had known how big the Crab Nachos were going to be, I think I would’ve ordered just that dish. :sweat_smile:
Onto our last full day! :cry:

8 Likes

So cool you caught some characters in training! That’s always so fun to come across.

2 Likes

Day 9: HS and Pool

We arrived at 6:53am for HS Early Entry at 7:30am. I obtained MFSR for 8:40am at the 7am drop. Cast members let us in a bit early and DH, DD13, and DS10 were near the front of the line held right before entry into the RnRC courtyard. At 7:30 on the dot, the guests on the queues for RnRC (and ToT) were allowed to proceed to the rides. DMIL and I used the time to explore the shops of both ToT and RnRC. Lines were short enough that DH and my kids got to ride RnRC twice with minimal wait.

After RnRC, I had a Ronto Wrap and Tatooine Sunset (tasty mix of unsweetened tea with lemonade, melon, and blueberry) for the very first time. Delicious!

Hard pass on blue/green milk though. We tried it in December 2019 and it was a one and done for us.

We redeemed our LL for MFSR and attempted to activate Chewie mode. Alas, it didn’t work. I still had a blast watching my kids on it though. This time, I elected to be an engineer so I could just sit back and watch. On our first ride in 2019, I was a pilot and I spent so much time being stressed about avoiding collisions that I hardly remembered anything! After tapping into MFSR, I grabbed a 9:30am LL for ASS as we had missed it on our first HS day.

After MFSR, I herded my family to a few more Magic Shots (i.e. Tiny World near ST, a shot in front of the iconic theater) and redeemed our LL for ASS. We then left Toy Story Land to get an early lunch at Rosie’s All American Cafe as nobody else had eaten breakfast that day. (They had been too full in the morning. Amateurs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I got basic chicken nuggets and fries for the kids, a hot dog for DMIL, and the 50th Celebration Sandwich Cookie (Pretzel Shortbread Cookie with Strawberry Jam and Peanut Butter Fudge) for yours truly.

After eating, we hunted for the 50th anniversary Mickey shaped soap dispenser. I had seen it on previous days but hadn’t wanted to drag it around with me. I miss Package Delivery to the hotels. :cry: We finally found it and then took a boat ride back to the Dolphin. We were back at the hotel by 11am and I wanted to let my kids have pool time one last time. DH and DMIL rested in the room while I took the kids downstairs. I even scored a Grotto pool chair!

After about an hour, we returned to the room. Even though it was only mid-afternoon, the kids declared that they only wanted to stay in the room and relax (read: play on their electronic devices) for the rest of the day. EVEN THOUGH I had successfully grabbed the following LLs at the various drops: a 4pm TT (their favorite attraction at Epcot), 4:45pm Soarin, AND 5pm FEA. The crotchety parent in me wanted to rant and rail, “You dang kids! Your father and I spent a TON of money on park tickets and the hotel and you want to waste precious park/pool time doing something you can do at home??!” But, did I really want to drag an unwilling family around Epcot for my last afternoon/evening? NO. And to be honest, they were justifiably tired after 9 continuous days of early wake times with an average of 20K steps/day.

I thus shrugged and said, “Ok” and went my merry way back to Epcot. My awesome DH (whose feet were hurting from all the walking) elected to accompany me even though I assured him that I would be fine going solo and would understand if he wanted to rest. Nope, he wanted to join me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: And so we embarked on yet another round of feasting around the World Showcase.

Fleur de Lys’ La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy, Beignet Caramelise, Salade de Lentilles a la Lyonnaise, and a Kronenbourg Blanc 1664 Draft Beer. All deserved a chef’s kiss!

Magnolia Terrace’s Spicy Chicken Gumbo with Andouille Sausage and Pecan Praline. The gumbo had an actual kick to it but the praline was (unsurprisingly) pure sugar. Still good though.

Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market’s Potato Pancake with Caramelized Ham, Onions, and Herb Sour Cream. Myeh. Nothing special unfortunately. The Pretzel Bread was much better. DH grabbed his favorite from the beer flight he had had there a few days ago, the Stiegl Brewery Radler Raspberry.

In Norway, we stopped by Kringla and ordered an Almond Kringla and a Frozen Coffee. However, they accidentally gave me the alcoholic version (the Frozen Viking Coffee) and I didn’t realize it until halfway through as the alcohol was mostly at the bottom. No harm done. :stuck_out_tongue:

DH and I were indifferent to TT without the kids so I released the 4pm LL. I was interested in using the 5pm FEA but it was only 4:15 and we wanted to keep going around the Showcase. So we kept going and let the fates decide if we would be back in time. We did redeem the Soarin LL as it’s one of my favorite attractions. I also decided to start collecting food-related Minnie Headbands from around World Showcase. :smile: So I added the Pizza one from Italy and Macarons from France to the 2 other headbands I already purchased. Definitely fitting for my personality.

On the way back to International Gateway (via Canada so nope, we never made it back to the FEA LL), we tried the surprisingly delicious Blueberry Lemonade Softserve Swirl from Refreshment Port.

DH also picked up the Strawberry Fields Refresher from the Joffrey’s near Canada.

By 6pm, we returned to the hotel and finished packing. I then enjoyed our last night at Disney on my balcony. While playing with my G+ filters. :smile:

9 Likes

I love the orange bird ears!

1 Like

Day 10: Epcot and Departure :sob:

At the 7am drop, I again hesitated a split millisecond before tapping to get a 9:25am TT LL. I wanted the LL for mid-morning as we weren’t hitting rope drop due to check out and luggage dropoff at Bell Services. We squared everything away and arrived at International Gateway at 9am. Not too shabby. My family indulged me as I had them pose for a few more specialty Magic Shots (i.e. Orange Bird in front of SE, Spike the Bee, and Fairy Wings for moi in France). We then used our one and only LL of the day for TT. I know it wasn’t a very good value to purchase G+ for only 1 LL but it did save us time, which then freed us up for more wandering around and snacking.

We got Honey Bee-stro’s Lavender Honey Mustard-marinated Chicken Flatbread and another non-alcoholic Honey Peach Freeze

Pineapple Promenade’s Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade and a Dole Whip with Fanta

We then ordered a few repeats for DD13’s benefit, like Northern Bloom’s Seared Scallops and Beef Tenderloin Tips

But we also ordered a few new to us all items. Like Cider House’s BLT Scone and Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart

The scone and bacon jam weren’t anything special but this dessert was my favorite chocolate dessert of the whole trip.

DMIL had Trowel & Trellis’ Boneless Impossible Korean Short Ribs (Told you we had it 3x this trip. So good!). We also bought another Blueberry Lemonade Soft Serve Swirl from Refreshment Port for DD13 to try.

And because I’m a glutton, I decided to try Yorkshire County Fish Shop’s Fish and Chips for the very first time. I’ve always wanted to try it but was always too full when I was near it. Well, I didn’t let that stop me this time. :sweat_smile:

Wow it was greasy. Yes, I know, FRIED. But still.

To end our Disney treat expedition, DS10 and I each had some gelato from L’Artisan des Glaces.

It was a great trip and I can’t wait to come back!

12 Likes

I love a good food report. I’ve enjoyed your pictures.

2 Likes