2016 vs 2017 Unoficial Guide to DW

I purchased the 2016 Unofficial guide to Disney World about four months. I just saw that the 2017 came out and I’m torn on whether to buy it or not. We are going in less then 30 days!!! Help!!!

While I think the support for our friends here at Touring Plans would be awesome, I think your trip is close enough that the info will not be that much different where it will impact your current trip.

1 Like

What’s changed since the 2016 guide came out (assuming it was about this time last year)?

MK:
Frozen princesses moved from MK to EPCOT
Dream Along with Mickey is done, but there’s a new castle front show, which may or may not include an alligator.

EPCOT:
Frozen Princesses have taken over Norway, and Frozen Ever After opened (A&E lines are more manageable, try to get a FEA FP and if you can’t, ride standby or skip it)
Captain EO closed. For real this time?
A number of entertainment acts in World Showcase have come and gone (I’m looking at you, Canada pavilion)
Innoventions is becoming more and more a ghost town.
You can meet Joy & Sadness and Baymax (is that in the last year?), but you can’t get a FP for it.

DHS:
Lights Motors Action! closed.
Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground closed.
Pizza Planet closed, but it will be reopening as PizzaRizzo this fall.
No more Mulch, Sweat, & Shears at DHS.
Osborne Family Spectacle of Lights closed for the last time.
Streets of America is no more.
There’s now a ton more Star Wars stuff (Star Wars Launch Bay, Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away, and the fireworks/projection show)
You can meet Olaf.

Animal Kingdom
Gi-Tar Dan stopped performing at Animal Kingdom.
There’s lots of new nighttime entertainment, and for the next few minutes, a nighttime spectacular.
There’s a projection show on the Tree of Life which is reportedly worth standing still to watch for a few minutes.
You can ride Safaris in the dark, and if you ride at dusk, you might still see some animals.

Plus, prices went up, they introduced tiered ticket pricing and more dessert parties and pay-extra things than you can shake a stick at. There’s probably more, but that’s the highlights I can think of.

4 Likes

I would recommend getting the 2017. I had the 2016 and have done a lot of the planning and then the 2017 came out. It is worth it. Yes you can see some high lights listed but there are new things in every edition. Prior to the 2016, I had the 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, and 2008. I always try to pass on the previous years to someone that I know will be going.

Even if I don’t have a trip planned, I get the update every year; 2010 was the first year that I discovered the IG and I have every one since. The past few years I’ve just downloaded the Kindle version.

I have never purchased the Unofficial Guide, but I was considering getting the 2017 version soon.For those who have bought the UG, do you feel that it is still a good idea to have a copy? Does it contain information that I wouldn’t otherwise get from TP and from Disney podcasts? What do you feel are the benefits? The book isn’t too expensive, but, hey!, I could buy a couple Dole Whips instead if it’s not really worth it.

I think it is definitely worth owning one (or more!) copies! However, lots of libraries have them if you don’t want to accumulate a ton. I just requested the 2017 one from my local consortium. Make sure you search by ISBN number to make sure that you get the 2017 version.

1 Like

There were a lot of updates and changes made to the 2017 version.

1 Like

OK, @melcort10. You convinced me. I just ordered my copy on Amazon.

2 Likes