2 silly questions

I’m spending Sunday morning like a champ, tinkering with solo touring plans for days with low crowds (and my spreadsheets of food and drink… ) Anyway, questions.

1. Coffee-drinkers, what do you do in the mornings? Is the coffee in the resorts decent? I’ll be at POP and have cheapest dining plan, so I’ll have a mug. I’m trying to talk myself into drinking my morning brew at the resort and then leaving the mug in my room - it doesn’t do me any good in the parks. On the other hand, if I’m going for rope-drop, I don’t want to be standing there at the crack of mickey-dawn without coffee in hand.

2. An evening plan I’m thinking of is dinner in WS, Morocco, then take a boat to Hollywood Studios for EMH. I have park hopper. Can I really take a boat between the two parks? What do y’all think, will that work? (I’ll have an afternoon break and not trying to time around fireworks that day.)

The coffee in the resorts these days is Joffrey’s. It is good. I will sit and drink it, clean out my mug, fill it with ice and a little water and then take it to the bus stop. I always have a backpack, so I can just throw it in when the water is gone. Yes, you can take a boat from Epcot to Hollywood Studios ( you can walk as well). You need to leave Epcot ( go out through International Gateway between France and England). The boat is on your left as you exit.

1 Like

This sounds smart. I’ll have some kind of bag, and the mug shouldn’t be a big deal to have in it.

Thank you!!

1 Like
  1. I have no problem with the resort coffee. One caution about coffee in a resort mug - once you use it even once, you will NOT be able to get the coffee smell/taste out of it until you take it home and run it through the dishwasher a couple of times - so once you’ve committed to coffee, you won’t want to use it for soda.

2. Yes, you really CAN take a boat from EP to DHS. It makes a couple of stops along the way; plan 25 min or so for the trip.

Ok, there is a trick to washing the resort mugs! About a week before your trip buy a kitchen sponge. Cut it up into 8 pieces. Put it on a dish and soak it with dishwashing detergent ( I use Palmolive). Let it dry. Store it in one of your zip lock bags and pack it. Now you can scrub out and wash your mug!

3 Likes

I can commit to coffee! I barely ever drink pop anymore.

GENIUS. Could do that at my room or in the parks or anywhere–even for non-disney road trips! Maybe I’ll keep one in an altoids tin like my mini sewing/band-aid kit. Thanks!

1 Like

Sweet. I’m only doing two park days, focusing on MK & Epcot. But if I can go over to HS for a tiny bit and do Star Wars, Muppets, and Little Mermaid, that would make me happy. I like walking but I think I’ll be doing enough of it. I left an hour between “end of dinner” and “first ride in HS” so that should be plenty of cushion.

1 Like

We stayed at Pop and did a morning coffee run. We were able to drink it and leave the mug in the room for the day. We rinsed them well before leaving and didn’t have an issue switching between pop and coffee, tea and hot chocolate. Maybe we were too tired to notice at the end of each day. Lol. :wink:

2 Likes

Another trick I learned was to stop by the food court on the way to the bus stop, have my coffee while waiting for bus. I bring a carabina and clip mug to a backpack strap when done and then wash with aforementioned sponges when I get back to room

3 Likes

This is my plan, too. I also like doing this because it means I can grab a cold soda as soon as I get back to the resort. I find this works especially well at Pop, as the bus stop is so close to the gift shop and food court. It’s easy to take a side door into the shop and cut across there to the food court. I prefer that to having to walk back to my room, grab the mug, double back to the food court and then schlep back to my room. After all the walking in the parks, I like to save my feet when I can.

2 Likes

I like this idea too. I used to be married to a theater rigger. I have lots of 'biners.

Evening HS EMH is usually crazy packed. Lots of people take advantage of the extra time but with few attractions to absorb the crowd it ends up being a stew of sweaty frustrated guests.

Good to be prepared for that! When the parks are at 3/4 levels is it a little better? Do the extra EMH crowds begin during the evening and ramp up?

Agreed – Joffrey’s is good. There’s no shame in going to a S-Bux the night before and keeping coffee in your fridge, though. Lukewarm / cold Starbucks beats out Joffrey’s for me. I’ve also made 8+ servings of espresso at home before my trip and packed it in a thermos (I’m 90 minutes from the parks).

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Yes and yes. Its totally doable I just wanted to give you a heads up. Keep in mind a large percentage of people with out PH will head to what ever park has EMH to “get their moneys worth”. Josh at easywdw has great park calenders based on predictable human behaviour. Sometimes I’ll disregard his suggestions because of scheduling but its uncanny in its accuracy.

I went over and read easywdw for the day I’m thinking of doing this. Good advice in there. I’ll probably try it anyway but knowing the crowds might be too much, I won’t be too disappointed if I have to turn around and leave without seeing Star Wars. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your going for SWW disregard everything. Its awesome! If you just want to catch the fireworks it sounds like you have a good plan.

1 Like

I doctor up my coffee with plenty of cream and sugar, so I was okay with the coffee there. My DW, though, drinks hers black, and she commented several times how bitter the coffee was at the resort and from Joffrey’s.

1 Like

Also good to know, thanks!

That is, without a doubt, the best description of HS with crowds EVER :clap: