2.5yo just at 40"

DS is 2.5 and just hit 40" before our trip next week. Obviously it depends on the child, but what would you let your young child ride…he is adventurous…I was thinking Yes for BTMRR, Splash, Soarin, and TT; and No for Star Tours, ToT, and Dinosaur since those seem darker/scarier. I think he can handle all the <40" rides like 7DMT and SDD. We are doing Barnstormer early on day 1 to make sure he is ok with roller coasters but he has done some fast rides at our local picnic and loved them.

2 Likes

My very small nervous 4 yr old was fine on BRMRR and loved soarin and TT. He also loved star tours. Hated dinosaur and wouldn’t go near ToT. He seemed to hit his head backwards on the big drop on splash. I think that was because he was small and very loose in the seat. He loved KRR too but he did bounce around quite precariously

3 Likes

I actually recommend skipping Barnstormer as the first ride because it is quite jerky. I would try 7DMT instead. It’s very smooth.

4 Likes

My 3yo rode Barnstormer, Seven Dwarfs, Dinosaur, Star tours, SDD, Test Track and Soarin. The only one he wanted to do twice was Soarin, but he was fine with the others. I don’t think he liked Barnstormer but SDD, SDMT were both fine. I would skip Dinosaur but his 6 yo brother wanted to do it, and he insisted going with. I covered his ears most of the time, lol. He wouldn’t do Splash Mountain after seeing it.

2 Likes

My DS2.5 is also 40 inches. I am both excited and a little nervous.

3 Likes

Wow! You and @SleepingBelle have some tall 2.5 year olds!

When DS was 3 and about 40" we did Barnstormer, 7DMT, Soarin, Splash, BTMRR, TT, MS(Green), Star Tours, Dinosaur! and he loved them all. He kept talking about Splash for months!

We also did HM and ToT and he refused to go on again. Apparently, he’s not scared of thrills, but ghosts are a no-go!

3 Likes

Yeah my older two were scared by HM last trip. I guess we’ll see what he wants to go on…I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy for attempting some of those rides at his age. And yes, I have giant children :joy:

2 Likes

Our (very tall) DD5 was just over 2 when she hit the 40" mark. She’s a little daredevil, so we let her ride everything she was tall enough for. The only thing she wasn’t keen on was Tower of Terror, she loved the rest. :joy:

3 Likes

They don’t enforce the age restrictions, then? I didn’t know why they would require a child to be 3 for Barnstormer if they met the height requirement.

1 Like

My younger son rode Barnstormer at 2 (and 1 month)… (my kids are freakishly tall).

2 Likes

Ok. We just had this discussion the other night. I said (IF) he is tall enough, we can just say he’s 3. Then I quickly remembered his band won’t have a ticket so that wouldn’t work. So, we will try if he is tall enough in October.

I’ve never seen any age restrictions other than 7 to ride without someone 14 or older. Is this a thing? My son rode Barnstormer at 2.

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any age restrictions as long as they are riding with an adult.

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of any age restrictions, just height - I’ve never heard they had to be 3 for anything! I just googled to check, and there are a few sites that say 3&up for Space, BTMRR, Barnstormer, ST, and TOT. But the info looks old and Disney’s site just has height requirements. I’m going with that.

5 Likes

Yep, it was some “best of orlando” article. I didn’t even pay attention to what kind of page I was looking at!

1 Like