1st timers late start to accommodate awestruck kids

[quote=“keppert, post:9, topic:10361”]
And everyone has such definite opinions on how to do things and which parks are the best or take the longest or don’t need as much time. It’s hard to know how my family will feel and do at each park[/quote]

You’re absolutely right about this. Every family (and usually every individual in that family) has their own favorite activities in the parks and you won’t know what they are until you’ve tried them out. Your favorite attraction might be something most other people think is a waste of time, but it doesn’t matter if you like it. The first trip should be about finding out what you like and what pace everyone is comfortable with. If you are able to return, then you’ll be able to make better decisions about whether or not you’re going to be ready for rope drop every morning or what restaurants you’ll want to visit. For now, enjoy what you are able to do and see and don’t worry about things you don’t get to see or the inevitable hassles that creep into any vacation.

3 Likes

[quote=“keppert, post:12, topic:10361”]
Should we make a personalized plan or take one already made and just tweak it[/quote]

It doesn’t really matter how you start making a personalized touring plan, but I think it’s easier to just add the activities that I want rather than copying another plan and delete the things I don’t want (unless the other plan is almost identical to my new one).

The personalized plans are great for figuring out how much you can accomplish in a given time. It’s rare that you’ll do everything on your plan exactly the way you intended, but at least you have somewhere to start. You can also make informed decisions when a new opportunity comes along. For example, if your group sees a character you hadn’t planned to meet or decides to watch the Dapper Dans or jump into a dance party, then you can let your family enjoy that moment and reoptimize your touring plan after that is over (or while you’re waiting in line/watching).

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips. Really appreciate the support! As far as FPP goes, our window opens Thursday for the MK. I’m assuming each window opens subsequently?

Not when I’m in charge - DW and DD don’t call them “Nazi Touring Plans” for nothing :wink:

5 Likes

Keep in mind that @len has said, many times, on the podcast that touring plans are important but the key is rope drop. If you can get the family moving and make rope drop, you will have ample time to look around, figure out what you love and make The World your favorite place.

1 Like

If your FPP day opens on Thursday, you will be able to make FPP for all 4 park days at that time. You don’t have to wait and do one day at a time over 4 days.

@amyscherz, mine didn’t let me do that. My 30 day window opened today and I could only make FPP reservations for the first day we are there. :frowning:

If offsite you have to do Fpp one day at a time I believe.

That must be the case… thanks

Oh, so sorry! I didn’t realize you are offsite with a 30 day window. I hope I didn’t cause you FPP stress, and I hope the planning is going well.

I asked DH to change his adjective to describe our plans from Nazi plans to Ninja plans. :smile:

Although he quietly refers to our trip as a death march to his buddies :smirk:

1 Like

Taking time to let your kids be awestruck (and you too), tells me you are going to have a wonderful trip.

3 Likes

My family started calling me The General on our last trip. Perhaps not entirely a compliment? But did not mind. I like Ninja, too.

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in. This will be our 4th family trip but I learn more each time. Now I make personalized tps in order to see what fps I need. I redo them as necessary for the actual fps I get. Then (don’t throw tomatoes, guys…) I print them out, hand them to my husband and let him be in charge of the flow of the day in the park. Has worked wonders for reducing my stress level and he doesn’t feel like I am not letting him have a say. Some might say he’s the QB and has freedom to call an audible. And guess what? We still have tons of fun! Just my two cents.

3 Likes

Hi keppert -

I had the same thoughts and was stressed- taking our two grandkids for the first time to MK. I put in a good 15-20 minutes to get to the first ride. And I changed my perspective to ‘it is about them, so they will set the pace’. All of our kids are very lucky and they are going to have a great time no matter what. I know we want them to experience everything but very good chance you won’t.
Have a great time and enjoy the time with your family!

BTCooper